Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   The Signalman/A Warning To The Curious (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/555-signalman-warning-curious.html)

TALL DUDE 9th July 2008 04:29 PM

A warning to the curious is damn scary,as is the stalls of barchester,one scene in particular involving a clawed hand,thats all im gonna say.Can feel those goosepimples on me arms already.;)

They dont make 'em like this anymore,mores the pity!:(

mark meakin 9th July 2008 05:00 PM

I regard the Stalls Of Barchester as one of the more underrated adaptions.Robert Hardy was particularly good in this one & it does have some effective scares.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th July 2008 07:12 PM

Watched the two of 'em and yes ,they're both enjoyable but I'd probably never watch 'em again,so I'll put them in the trades section if anyone's interested.
Of the two,I'd say Warning was the better,but Signal also had it's moments,especially the ghost at the tunnel.....:eek:

evan renzi 23rd July 2008 01:42 PM

I've got these two (plus Whistle and I'll Come to You) "saved for later" in my amazon account (along with Box of Delights funnily enough which I just re-discovered y/day). Gonna buy when the nights start drawing in again (which, as we now have some decent weather in the UK should be in about 5 mins). On the same subject of spooky brit TV does anyone remember Armchair Thrillers - specifically the one called Quiet as a Nun? The bit with the faceless, uh, nun rocking in the chair is responsible for what was probably the biggest brown-trouser moment of my childhood. Still hasn't been released on DVD. Gah!

Stalls of barchester sounds interesting.

mark meakin 24th July 2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evan renzi (Post 10648)
I've got these two (plus Whistle and I'll Come to You) "saved for later" in my amazon account (along with Box of Delights funnily enough which I just re-discovered y/day). Gonna buy when the nights start drawing in again (which, as we now have some decent weather in the UK should be in about 5 mins). On the same subject of spooky brit TV does anyone remember Armchair Thrillers - specifically the one called Quiet as a Nun? The bit with the faceless, uh, nun rocking in the chair is responsible for what was probably the biggest brown-trouser moment of my childhood. Still hasn't been released on DVD. Gah!

Stalls of barchester sounds interesting.

The BFI ghost stories are OOP & may cost you a bundle if you leave it too late.Whistle & I'll Come To You is pretty expensive now.Luckily I recorded them of BBC 4 & some will more than likely be on this year too.

evan renzi 25th July 2008 01:50 PM

Thanks Mark. I had that trouble with the Beiderbecke Collection. Bought 'Tapes' and 'Connection' for about a tenner then people started asking near to 100 quid for 'Affair' (in a non-prostitute way you understand :D). Had to wait about a year. Snapped it up, then they released a new box set. doh. I'll keep my beady eye on the prices and the Beeb :)

Short Night Of Glass LOLs 3rd August 2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evan renzi (Post 10840)
Thanks Mark. I had that trouble with the Beiderbecke Collection. Bought 'Tapes' and 'Connection' for about a tenner then people started asking near to 100 quid for 'Affair' (in a non-prostitute way you understand :D). Had to wait about a year. Snapped it up, then they released a new box set. doh. I'll keep my beady eye on the prices and the Beeb :)

Shit! I seem to have unwittingly copied your avatar... sorry sir! I will find a new one a.s.a.p.!!

On the subject of these old, scary, brilliant Ghost tales for T.V. out of these 2 'A Warning...' would be my pick but it is bettered in every way by 'Oh Whistle And I'll Come To You', 'The Stalls Of Barchester', and, of course, the shitpant classic that is 'The Woman In Black'

Mojo 4th August 2008 06:59 PM

Lost Hearts and The Ash Tree are another two classic Beeb ghost stories.

And The Stone Tape is superb. One of the best.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th August 2008 07:53 PM

The Stone Tape-heard of this loads of times,what's it actually about?

Mojo 4th August 2008 08:27 PM

It's about a team of scientists who take over an empty mansion for their experiments on recording techniques, who discover a disused room which seems to have something sinister hidden within its walls.

Won't give away any more reaps, but if you like 70s telly, creepy ghost stories and loads of atmosphere you should like this. I love it to bits.

Written by Nigel Kneale - it does have that sci fi / ghost story crossover feel to it, in the same kind of way as Quatermass And The Pit. Scared the shit out of me when I first saw it ( I was only 10 ) and it still creeps me out now!