Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   What TV Have You Seen? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/7170-what-tv-have-you-seen.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th December 2017 10:32 AM

I'm 6 episodes (out of 8) into the first series of Poldark.

It's actually very good, well acted and beautifully filmed. There's a nice mix of drama / action and romance with seemingly a lot more to come including smuggling and revolutionary France. I'll definitely be getting the second and third series.

SilverSurfer 4th December 2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 559379)
I'm 6 episodes (out of 8) into the first series of Poldark.

It's actually very good, well acted and beautifully filmed. There's a nice mix of drama / action and romance with seemingly a lot more to come including smuggling and revolutionary France. I'll definitely be getting the second and third series.

Did you ever watch the 1975 Original series?

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th December 2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 559389)
Did you ever watch the 1975 Original series?

No, i haven't. It's one of those i've always fancied but never got round to buying. Robin Ellis is in this series by the way.

Was it good?

SilverSurfer 4th December 2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 559390)
No, i haven't. It's one of those i've always fancied but never got round to buying. Robin Ellis is in this series by the way.

Was it good?

The people I know who have watched the Original series dislike the remake,They say the remake is aimed at a newer generation.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th December 2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 559393)
The people I know who have watched the Original series dislike the remake,They say the remake is aimed at a newer generation.

I can imagine the new one is slicker and faster. Some of those old series are painfully slow and talky. I tried Upstairs Downstairs after loving Downton Abbey and Mr Selfridge which i whizzed through last Christmas and New Year and found it really hard going.

trebor8273 4th December 2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 559361)
I’m very pleased with the first truly faithful adaptation of The Punisher with the Netflix show, and then some.

Jon Bernthal IS Frank Castle/The Punisher - a definitive portrayal. The characterization of Micro is more enriched than in the comics, given more emotional resonance, and his and Frank's chemistry is great. It has a poignant theme of war veterans trying to find their place in the world, and depicts the deep affects that war causes on their psyches. It’s satisfyingly dark and brutal, and the action sequences are intense and exciting.

The arc of Billy Russo’s origin story is far more interesting here than in the comics, and I cannot wait to see what they do next with the character. He is a much better, far more layered character, and Ben Barnes gives his career best performance. The finale is so satisfying. It was subtlety set up all throughout the season, and my anticipation was at an all-time high. I knew what was going to happen due to comic book history, but obviously, I just didn't know how it was going to happen, and when it did, it was one helluva a pay-off.

I still think Daredevil is Marvel’s best TV show, but this is a very close second, and it’s only had one season as opposed to Daredevil’s two, so time will tell.

My Marvel Netflix rankings:

Daredevil
The Punisher
Jessica Jones
The Defenders
Luke Cage
Iron Fist

total how i rank them, seriously dropped the ball with ironfist, which i think is down to the writer as he also did the dire inhumans, just seems the guy cant write for s***! mind after these two i doubt he will be find any work soon

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th December 2017 12:38 PM

I finished the second season of Bates Motel last night and will continue with the third tonight. I had already seen the first two seasons and felt like watching them again, only this time in HD with a view to watching the entire series in one go.

It's a show I watched with extreme trepidation because of my love for, and appreciation of, Psycho and was pleased to find the development of Norman Bates is interesting and engaging. The subplots about the marijuana business in the town are necessary to provide enough characters to move events away from the motel every now and again and introduce characters to create dramatic tension for Norma, Norman and the other principals.

Before that, I watched the three episodes of Gunpowder over two nights and was conflicted because it was long enough to tell the story, but could have been twice as long and gone into more depth around the political and religious events in Europe and the protagonists, probably being as interesting and engrossing.

Cinematic Shocks 5th December 2017 11:06 AM

Vikings returned to the History Channel last Wednesday with the first two eps of its fifth series. It was a solid start that I really enjoyed.

keirarts 7th December 2017 09:18 AM

Godless

A Western series where the focus seems to be on the female protagonists. The series is set in the town of La Belle where a mining disaster has killed most of the menfolk. The Sheriff is going blind and has recently apprehended a wanted criminal who wandered injured into town and got shot by a local rancher. Unfortunately the outlaws boss/surrogate father Frank Griffen is hunting for him. Griffen and his posse are genuine monsters, hunted after they murdered an entire town of people. Its a slow burning, violent western that's cleverly written and has some great performances. Jeff Daniels is especially great as Griffen, one of the most memorable TV monsters of recent years. A complex, troubled man who quotes the bible while holding that the frontier is a godless place.

Dark

German Sci-fi Horror thats a mix of things like stranger things and Twin peaks. Its damned good so far however the english Dub is pretty terrible and Netflix seems to insist i change things to german with english subs with each effing episode which is annoying.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th December 2017 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 559734)
Dark

German Sci-fi Horror thats a mix of things like stranger things and Twin peaks.

Sounds intriguing...

iank 8th December 2017 07:00 AM

The Bill: Guessing Game. A man is found dead in his flat of natural causes but something about the flat doesn't sit right with June Ackland. When CID press for info on the dead man, it transpires he was a serial predator who liked abducting and torturing women. The only question is... did he already have a new victim stashed away somewhere before he died? A typically creepy episode from PJ Hammond.

Cinematic Shocks 10th December 2017 10:58 AM

I’m not familiar with the source material, but halfway through this first ten episodes series on Hulu, the adaptation of Marvel’s Runaways is an imaginative and unique take on the superhero genre that is endlessly interesting.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th December 2017 11:24 AM

My Bates Motel marathon has only one season left as I finished the fourth season last night, which came to a brilliant and slightly sinister conclusion.

SPOILER:
Norman having killed his mother, exhumed her and in his own mind imagining sitting at the piano with her playing Christmas songs next to a fully decorated Christmas tree which does not exist in real life.

It'll be very interesting to see how this develops in the fifth season.

I've been really impressed with Freddie Highmore and there's a couple of moments where his mannerisms and the way he says a certain word (I think it was "No", pointing at someone with his left hand) is almost exactly the same as the way Anthony Perkins did the same thing in Psycho. At other times, his mannerisms and speech patterns evoke those of Vera Farmiga playing Norma, making the Norman/Mother moments very eerie.

bleakshaun 12th December 2017 07:26 PM

Rewatching Father Ted, just finished the sheep episode; this always makes me laugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ECJWYRLs2E

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th December 2017 07:31 PM

That's a brilliant episode with many laugh out moments. However, my all-time favourite scene involving animals is definitely this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMiKyfd6hA0

trebor8273 19th December 2017 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just started this on Netflix.

SilverSurfer 20th December 2017 03:20 PM

https://store.hmv.com/HMVStore/media.../01-148465.jpg

Looking good so far.

trebor8273 21st December 2017 07:23 PM

The Joy Of Painting.

people can laugh all they want be i really been enjoy these, i'm no fan of art but this program is just so relaxing which is thanks to Bob Ross soothing voice and his love for baby squirrels , it really is amazing to see what he comes up using standard paint brushes and a limited range of paints, also his hair has to be seen to be believed, a man that became even more popular after his death thanks to the internet.

Rik 21st December 2017 07:25 PM

Bugger all wrong with Bob Ross, the guy was a legend :nod:

Cinematic Shocks 22nd December 2017 12:45 AM

I'm halfway through season 2 of Wolf Creek, and it's been solid stuff so far.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd December 2017 12:49 PM

I'm half way through the twenty episode BBC series Dickensian.

It's cracking Christmas fayre, ideal for this time of year. A beautifully written and performed mash up of several Dickens stories and characters, where Stephen Rea's Inspector Bucket from Bleak House investigates the murder of Jacob Marley (Peter Firth) one snowy Christmas Eve.

Absolutely loving it.

https://assets.londonist.com/uploads.../i875/3541.jpg

Justin101 22nd December 2017 01:05 PM

I’ve not seen it but I like the sound of it. Might try and find some time to see it

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd December 2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 561096)
I’ve not seen it but I like the sound of it. Might try and find some time to see it

Scrooge, Fagin, Miss Haversham, the soon to be Dedlocks, The Old Curiosity Shop, Bill Sykes, Nancy, Bob Cratchit are all in it. There's a boy hasn't been named but i'm sure he'll ask for more at some point.

BBC One - Dickensian - Cast and Characters

trebor8273 22nd December 2017 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 561087)
I'm half way through the twenty episode BBC series Dickensian.

It's cracking Christmas fayre, ideal for this time of year. A beautifully written and performed mash up of several Dickens stories and characters, where Stephen Rea's Inspector Bucket from Bleak House investigates the murder of Jacob Marley (Peter Firth) one snowy Christmas Eve.

Absolutely loving it.

https://assets.londonist.com/uploads.../i875/3541.jpg

might give this a watch. do i need to have seen bleak house?

just finished season one of frontiers, while not brilliant it was enjoyable enough and only six episodes didn't out stay its welcome

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd December 2017 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 561118)

just finished season one of frontiers, while not brilliant it was enjoyable enough and only six episodes didn't out stay its welcome

The more Dickens you've seen the better perhaps but i've only seen Bleak House, Scrooge and The Old Curiosity Shop and know of characters like Fagin from general knowledge.

Once you've watched a few episodes you won't bother what they are from as you'll be too busy enjoying it all. At least i am.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd December 2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 561118)

I hadn't seen Bleak House when I watched Dickensian (I've seen it subsequently) and found it to be superb as a stand-alone series and something I want to revisit.

I recently finished Bates Motel, where the fifth series moves into the events depicted in Psycho, where it diverges from Alfred Hitchcock's version of the character and events.

Since then, I've been watching An Idiot Abroad for the second time (I'm averaging the second series and have just seen Karl Pilkington in Uganda with the aim of meeting a gorilla). It's funny and works for many reasons, one of which is because Pilkington is such a narrowminded Little Englander who hates everything about what he is doing that people who don't like travelling will identify with him and those who are insanely jealous wish they were there. However, even as someone who occasionally thinks the money has been wasted and they would have been better off sending someone who appreciates the culture, sites and overall experience, he makes some salient points regarding such things as the food!

I adored the third series of Detectorists, something I didn't want was very glad they made and found the seven part miniseries Children of the Stones (which I bought on DVD about a year ago from the Network sale) to be far more interesting and entertaining than I expected to the extent that I watched it in one sitting.

trebor8273 23rd December 2017 09:22 PM

Watched the first two episodes of Godless on Netflix which has been great and recommend to anyone who likes westerns, Jeff Denials is excellent as the bad guy.

Just started Dirk Gentlys holistic detective agency.

Cinematic Shocks 24th December 2017 03:45 AM

Season 2 of Wolf Creek is tight. I think both seasons have been great, and the series is arguably better than the two films, which I really like. Due to the episodic format, it makes for more interesting storytelling and characters, and Mick Taylor has had the opportunity to be fleshed out, and is one of the most memorable and best modern horror villains. I love how it's shot as well, as it's very cinematic.

Justin101 24th December 2017 10:41 AM

I watched the first episode of Vinyl this morning, bought a used Bluray from Music Magpie earlier in the month on a blind buy. It's fantastic so far! Hopefully it keeps up the pace, I think that the first episode is the only one directed by Scorsese but I might be mistaken.

One of the highlights for me was when one of the characters started speaking and it dawned on me, holy shit that's Ray Romano :lol: I'd recognise that voice anywhere!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th December 2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 561235)
I watched the first episode of Vinyl this morning, bought a used Bluray from Music Magpie earlier in the month on a blind buy. It's fantastic so far! Hopefully it keeps up the pace, I think that the first episode is the only one directed by Scorsese but I might be mistaken.

One of the highlights for me was when one of the characters started speaking and it dawned on me, holy shit that's Ray Romano :lol: I'd recognise that voice anywhere!

I saw Vinyl some time ago and thought it was excellent – the Blu-ray set of that series is something I keep meaning to buy but my 'to watch' list is always too big to stop me looking!

Susan Foreman 24th December 2017 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 561235)

Possible spoiler for a future episode - Dustin Ingram as Alice Cooper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbV4BD5kI64

trebor8273 24th December 2017 07:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toCP7yUqGEs

Just finished the last episode of Godless , brilliant stuff well acted with plenty of interesting characters, beautifully shot and directed with some truly stunning scenery that looked magnificent in 4k. 9.5/10

Demoncrat 25th December 2017 11:03 AM

Watching Curb Your Enthusiasm 9. After a break the David returns in fine form ...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th December 2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 561307)
Watching Curb Your Enthusiasm 9. After a break the David returns in fine form ...

That's good to know as I'm looking forward to watching it myself soon.

Demoncrat 25th December 2017 07:50 PM

It's pretty, pretty good ...

Cinematic Shocks 27th December 2017 09:29 AM

Two eps into Curb Your Enthusiasm season 9, and it's as ingeniously hilarious as it ever was.

Demoncrat 27th December 2017 01:12 PM

Enjoying Blood Drive. So far ....

Dave Boy 27th December 2017 03:04 PM

..So was I until I found out it was cancelled so stopped watching.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 27th December 2017 03:29 PM

I watched the first part of the new BBC drama for Christmas The Miniaturist last night and am looking forward to watching the second part tonight.

I also got the latest season of Red Dwarf and the Event series of Twin Peaks over the Xmas period so no doubt will be delving into those two soon as well.

SilverSurfer 27th December 2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 561449)
..So was I until I found out it was cancelled so stopped watching.

Happens a lot with TV stuff Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Have they tied up any loose ends on the final episode if needed? Hate when a series ends abruptly with no explaination given.