Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   What TV Have You Seen? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/7170-what-tv-have-you-seen.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th June 2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 406888)
Quite intrigued by all the fuss, but expect to be dissapointed. Most Netflix original series are dire.

I thought the first series was excellent, and the second didn't disappoint.

ReversedBible 11th June 2014 11:30 PM

Been watching a lot of Twilight Zone lately (original series). Currently in the middle of season 2 and **** do I love this show. Truly timeless and everyone who hasn't seen it should take a good hard look at themselves.:nod:

trebor8273 12th June 2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 406888)
Quite intrigued by all the fuss, but expect to be dissapointed. Most Netflix original series are dire.

Have you not seen house of cards, mind I have only seen house of cards and orange is the new black and I found both to be excellent.

Anyone seen a show called penny dreadful ?

Boo Radley 18th June 2014 01:35 PM

I have been watching every single game in the World Cup.......not because I'm a great footie fan or anything but just because it winds my missus up no end and makes me giggle my tits off inside!!
After 27 years together you learn to savour little things like this...:lol:

J Harker 18th June 2014 07:53 PM

God I hate football.

Rik 18th June 2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 407549)
God I hate football.

Most Welshman do :tongue1: :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th June 2014 08:04 PM

And it's back to the world cup for me now. :nod:

Rik 18th June 2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 407553)
And it's back to the world cup for me now. :nod:

Ditto :nod:

Dave Boy 22nd June 2014 05:15 PM

Watched season 1 of Falling Skies. Thought it was pretty good.
Anyone seen all the seasons so far ?

Make Them Die Slowly 22nd June 2014 09:02 PM

TRUE DETECTIVE. Picked this up on impulse whilst out today, thought I'd watch an episode a night over the coming week...439 minutes from the start of the first episode and I've finished the whole series! Truly incredible stuff...possibly the best TV show I have ever seen. I can't recommend this enough.

J Harker 22nd June 2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 408098)
TRUE DETECTIVE. Picked this up on impulse whilst out today, thought I'd watch an episode a night over the coming week...439 minutes from the start of the first episode and I've finished the whole series! Truly incredible stuff...possibly the best TV show I have ever seen. I can't recommend this enough.

Fantastic show! Not sure about doing it in one sitting though mate!
Finished Season 4 of Game of Thrones a few nights ago, the best series so far I think.
I've started watching Penny Dreadful, I'm only two episodes in but it has potential. Anyone else watching this?

Bringer Of Funerals 23rd June 2014 05:25 PM

I've nearly finished Season 5 of Dexter

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th June 2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 408183)
I've nearly finished Season 5 of Dexter

Something I've never seen a single episode of. So many things to watch, I just never got into it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th June 2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 408260)
Sonething I've never seen a single episode of. So many things to watch, I just never got into it.

Dexter is really good, but does downhill in the last two or three seasons en route to perhaps the most disappointing ending to a long-running series in TV history.

ReversedBible 24th June 2014 07:32 PM

Been watching a lot of Tim and Eric lately. I don't know why their stuff appeals so much to me but it does. :lol:

Planning to start on Bates Motel season 2 soon enough.

keirarts 24th June 2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReversedBible (Post 408278)
Been watching a lot of Tim and Eric lately. I don't know why their stuff appeals so much to me but it does. :lol:

Planning to start on Bates Motel season 2 soon enough.

Tim and eric are the American Vic and Bob. Marathoned the whole lot and loved it.

Just watched Black sails. Its about pirates so worth watching. Added bonus their trying to ape the formula for Game of thrones so lots of nudity and violence.

Throws in a bit of Libertarian-ism political subtext to please rich Americans but its still fun.

ReversedBible 24th June 2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 408333)
Tim and eric are the American Vic and Bob. Marathoned the whole lot and loved it.

Just watched Black sails. Its about pirates so worth watching. Added bonus their trying to ape the formula for Game of thrones so lots of nudity and violence.

Throws in a bit of Libertarian-ism political subtext to please rich Americans but its still fun.

What's Vic and Bob? :confused:

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th June 2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 408261)
Dexter is really good, but does downhill in the last two or three seasons en route to perhaps the most disappointing ending to a long-running series in TV history.

I gave it half the first season. I didn't like Dexter the character. Never liked the guy in Six Feet Under either.

keirarts 24th June 2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReversedBible (Post 408334)
What's Vic and Bob? :confused:

Vic and Bob - Masterchef - YouTube

Mulligan and O'hare Pancake Day - YouTube

Uk comedians. Still going today but did a lot of their best material in the 90's.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th June 2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 408336)
Vic and Bob - Masterchef - YouTube

Mulligan and O'hare Pancake Day - YouTube

Uk comedians. Still going today but did a lot of their best material in the 90's.

Loved by some loathed by others.

Bringer Of Funerals 25th June 2014 09:51 AM

Anyone seen MODERN FAMILY? Claire wants to watch it

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th June 2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 408362)

Yeah, it's laugh out loud funny and one of those shows it's hard to stop watching as I always find myself thinking 'Just one more episode and then I'll sleep!'

Demoncrat 25th June 2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 408362)

I'l second that. The dad alone.....:laugh: and Al Bundy's in it. Need we say more.....?;)

Make Them Die Slowly 25th June 2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 408368)
I'l second that. The dad alone.....:laugh: and Al Bundy's in it. Need we say more.....?;)

My kids keep telling me I get more like Phil everyday...anyway I don't have time to chat, it's back to the Colombian dating sites for me.:tongue1:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th June 2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 408442)
My kids keep telling me I get more like Phil everyday...anyway I don't have time to chat, it's back to the Colombian dating sites for me.:tongue1:

I didn't know that witchcraft was massively prevalent in Colombia. I would think that Central and Eastern Europe would be your best bet, or Africa and parts of Asia if you're after something a little more exotic! ;)

Make Them Die Slowly 25th June 2014 07:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 408448)
I didn't know that witchcraft was massively prevalent in Colombia. I would think that Central and Eastern Europe would be your best bet, or Africa and parts of Asia if you're after something a little more exotic! ;)

Witchcraft is fairly popular everywhere away from the gaze of the Western World. Latino witchcraft appears to be popular in academic circles and the underground of the occult at the moment. I work with an African woman who tells me fantastic stories of witchcraft and Fortean madness from her home country.

Anyhow I was actually making a reference to Gloria from Modern Family...

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th June 2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 408452)
Witchcraft is fairly popular everywhere away from the gaze of the Western World. Latino witchcraft appears to be popular in academic circles and the underground of the occult at the moment. I work with an African woman who tells me fantastic stories of witchcraft and Fortean madness from her home country.

Anyhow I was actually making a reference to Gloria from Modern Family...

The reference was totally lost on me as I have never seen it (or even heard of it). The world of TV is a scary labyrinthine place where I very rarely tread. ;)

Despite my little joke regarding your internet witch hunt, I did read somewhere not too long ago that a woman was burned to death in Colombia on suspicion of witchcraft only a few years ago... whether that is true or not is an entirely different matter though. As you know, I'm a casual fan of the occult and witchcraft but it has always been something that has fascinated me. I should really try and indulge my fascination a little more and read more into it.

Make Them Die Slowly 25th June 2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 408466)
The reference was totally lost on me as I have never seen it (or even heard of it). The world of TV is a scary labyrinthine place where I very rarely tread. ;)

Despite my little joke regarding your internet witch hunt, I did read somewhere not too long ago that a woman was burned to death in Colombia on suspicion of witchcraft only a few years ago... whether that is true or not is an entirely different matter though. As you know, I'm a casual fan of the occult and witchcraft but it has always been something that has fascinated me. I should really try and indulge my fascination a little more and read more into it.

I tend not to watch telly too much but have lately started to watch the odd boxset people at work have lent me and that's how I discovered Modern Family. You should check out "True Detective", I think you would really like it.

Yeah, once you step outside Europe the rest of the world seems like our Middle Ages in regard to witches. There are some horrific things going on in Africa by witches and those accusing people of Witchcraft. From talking to some of my Pakistani co-workers, black magic and witchcraft are very real problems for people in Pakistan and amongst the Pakistani population here. It all sounds great to me but then again I'm not living with the belief that I could be cursed at any moment or that a djinn might attack me!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th June 2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 408476)
I tend not to watch telly too much but have lately started to watch the odd boxset people at work have lent me and that's how I discovered Modern Family. You should check out "True Detective", I think you would really like it.

Yeah, once you step outside Europe the rest of the world seems like our Middle Ages in regard to witches. There are some horrific things going on in Africa by witches and those accusing people of Witchcraft. From talking to some of my Pakistani co-workers, black magic and witchcraft are very real problems for people in Pakistan and amongst the Pakistani population here. It all sounds great to me but then again I'm not living with the belief that I could be cursed at any moment or that a djinn might attack me!

A few people have recommended me True Detective. It may be something I delve into eventually, but my general problem is that I have so many films to watch/that I want to watch without also getting invested in a long running show (or multiple shows) as they can become quite addictive and dominate your viewing. I do watch some TV very late at night in the form of stuff I have on DVD, but that is more to relax (and usually fall asleep to) as it will be an old favourite show (usually comedy based) that I've seen many times before. :nod:

I've barely scratched the surface where African and Asian witchcraft belief is concerned but it's definitely interesting stuff. :nod:

Make Them Die Slowly 25th June 2014 08:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 408488)
A few people have recommended me True Detective. It may be something I delve into eventually, but my general problem is that I have so many films to watch/that I want to watch without also getting invested in a long running show (or multiple shows) as they can become quite addictive and dominate your viewing. I do watch some TV very late at night in the form of stuff I have on DVD, but that is more to relax (and usually fall asleep to) as it will be an old favourite show (usually comedy based) that I've seen many times before. :nod:

I've barely scratched the surface where African and Asian witchcraft belief is concerned but it's definitely interesting stuff. :nod:

TV is time consuming, I watched "True Detective" in one sitting after being completely hooked by the first episode...here's two images to sell you the programme...

trebor8273 26th June 2014 06:54 PM

Watching millennium season 2 , I thought the first season was good this ones even better. Just hope the thirds just as good. Shame their was only the three seasons.

keirarts 26th June 2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 408569)
Watching millennium season 2 , I thought the first season was good this ones even better. Just hope the thirds just as good. Shame their was only the three seasons.

S2 was the high water mark for me. S3 has some amazing episodes but s2 works as an entire thing rather than a collection of good episodes.
Things about s3 don't make sense in regards to s2 but i'll leave it at that. You will know what i'm on about after end of s2.

Also i'll back up what has been said about True detective. Incredible mix of modern detective show with elements of pulp crime novels. Pays great homage to Robert Chambers KING IN YELLOW.

Make Them Die Slowly 26th June 2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 408591)
S2 was the high water mark for me. S3 has some amazing episodes but s2 works as an entire thing rather than a collection of good episodes.
Things about s3 don't make sense in regards to s2 but i'll leave it at that. You will know what i'm on about after end of s2.

Also i'll back up what has been said about True detective. Incredible mix of modern detective show with elements of pulp crime novels. Pays great homage to Robert Chambers KING IN YELLOW.

The KING IN YELLOW homage was a nice touch for me as I had only finished reading the book a few weeks ago. Fans of weird fiction should check it out.

trebor8273 26th June 2014 10:30 PM

How good is true detective picked it up as a part blind buy and partly because it was only £12 in cex and with trading cost only cost £2

keirarts 27th June 2014 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 408597)
How good is true detective picked it up as a part blind buy and partly because it was only £12 in cex and with trading cost only cost £2

Bargain!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th June 2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

That's a great price. I'd finished watching it last night (I rented it from Lovefilm so watched it over three nights) and thought it was brilliant TV. It seems to have touches on the X-Files, Millennium and even Twin Peaks, but stands on its own as a terrific miniseries.

Frankenhooker 27th June 2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Very, very good and £12 is an absolute steal. I only just finished it myself and already want to watch it again. I love the pace of it, really pulls you in.

demonknight 28th June 2014 01:24 PM

The Beach Boys: Live at Knebworth from 1980. Great live concert featuring amazing songs and amazing vocal harmonies. Watched this when I got home from my local last night. Sad that they lost Dennis and Carl Wilson some three and eighteen years later respectively, but that's life I suppose. Great band, love their sound and their songs :cool:

trebor8273 29th June 2014 07:37 PM

Watched true detective over last two nights as good as everyone said, had me gripped from beginning to end. Harrelson and McConaughey are both fantastic.

trebor8273 1st July 2014 08:39 PM

Was going to watch something from the 80s on Netflix but went a little further back and decided to watch the Rockford files last time I saw this is when I was a little kid, do remember it was one of my fathers favourite shows, all I can remember is the theme tune.