Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   What TV Have You Seen? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/7170-what-tv-have-you-seen.html)

J Harker 31st July 2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 499537)
Another fan of Stranger Things here!
I decided to watch a couple of episodes on Thursday after work and ended up watching all 8 in a row, brilliant show!

Also, because I was sick of seeing and hearing everyone going on about Game of Thrones all the time, I decided to give it a try at the end of last month and watched all 6 seasons in about 4 weeks, another excellent show (I've also started reading the first novel too, first two books are currently in ASDA's 2 for £7 book deal).

I wish I'd read the books first. Its too late now I'll never do it but have read the first one and it is better than the show.

Rik 31st July 2016 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 499538)
I wish I'd read the books first. Its too late now I'll never do it but have read the first one and it is better than the show.

Yeah, I kinda wish I had too, seeing as I know the plot now, but that's not spoiling the book too much, and like you say, it's better than the show

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st July 2016 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 499539)
Yeah, I kinda wish I had too, seeing as I know the plot now, but that's not spoiling the book too much, and like you say, it's better than the show

The problem is the show has given a better intro to the characters than the books ever did.

Had you not known who every name was and could put a face to them, i'm sure you wouldn't have the same impression.

When i started the first one back around 2000 it felt a bit of a mess with a mass of characters thrown at you, plus the maps of course.

Martin's 1992 novel Fevre Dream about vampires on Mississippi river boats in the 1850's is easily the best thing i've read from him.

J Harker 31st July 2016 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 499541)
The problem is the show has given a better intro to the characters than the books ever did.

Had you not known who every name was and could put a face to them, i'm sure you wouldn't have the same impression.

When i started the first one back around 2000 it felt a bit of a mess with a mass of characters thrown at you, plus the maps of course.

Martin's 1992 novel Fevre Dream about vampires on Mississippi river boats in the 1850's is easily the best thing i've read from him.

Fevre Dream is indeed an excellent novel. Couldn't put it down in the most literal sense. Just sat and read to the end at 5 in the morning. As for GoT i found the show threw more characters and names at me than I've ever been able to keep on top of and in a sense the book or t least the first one helped to get my head around who's who a bit easier. Downside is like any book/movie/show adaptation once I've seen the adaptation and know the plot the book becomes harder to stick with.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st July 2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 499525)
Yes as it happens we finished Stranger Things last night.
Basically a young boy in a quiet town goes missing, almost disappearing into thin air. Around the same time a young girl with a shaved head appears and is befriended by the missing boys friends. I won't give anymore but it is really really good. Think Steven Spielberg meets Stephen King and John Carpenter pops around to give them some tips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 499530)
This is all you need to know, it's excellent.

The write-up on Wikipedia mentioned how cine-literate it is, so there are bound to be a lot of references to films which were around when I was growing up. It sounds very interesting and fun due to the time travel element – a variation on the Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes theme – so it will definitely be one to watch.

Rik 31st July 2016 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 499541)

I'll have to check this out, it's been awhile since I read a decent vampire novel :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st July 2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 499560)
I'll have to check this out, it's been awhile since I read a decent vampire novel :nod:

Mississippi river boats make an original setting for a vampire story.

J Harker 31st July 2016 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 499560)

Can't recommend it enough.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 499566)
Mississippi river boats make an original setting for a vampire story.

Agreed. One of the most atmospheric novels I've ever read.

keirarts 31st July 2016 03:09 PM

I love the game of thrones novels.

finished with Hand of God I've moved onto Preacher.

The comic was in print back in the days when I was still collecting comics (stopped due to space issues and lack of comic stores at home) and it remains one of my favourite comic series.

Credit where its due, the series, while diverging from the comics at numerous points, including shifting some of the characters near to the beginning of the series and sticking around Jessie custers church for a while, manages to keep the tone & dark humor of the books. So far (6 episodes in) its a cracking show that really has a 'one more episode' appeal to it. Certainly its better than Lucifer, a charming enough show that sadly ditches a wonderful story by Mike Carey to become a police proceedure show.

Inspector Abberline 31st July 2016 07:09 PM

Alfred Hitchcock Presents

2 Attachment(s)
Alfred Hitchcock Presents