Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   VHS & Exploitation (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=573)
-   -   Recommended Blaxploitation Films? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/vhs-exploitation/2205-recommended-blaxploitation-films.html)

mark meakin 2nd September 2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 177101)
It was released by ILC, who had an agreement with MGM to release certain titles. They also released: EMPIRE OF THE ANTS, GALAXY OF TERROR, MOTEL HELL, THE VAMPIRE LOVERS and a few more which I can't remember at the moment.

They released I'M GONNA GIT YOU SUCKA (1988) which I picked up on thursday for a quid from CEX.A nice spoof of the Blaxploitation genre (Along with Black Dynamite) which spoofs everything from Shaft to Abby.

Baseball Fury 2nd September 2011 08:22 AM

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka and Black Dynamite make a cracking double bill.

It's nearly as good as Don't Be A Menace To South Central Whilst Drinking Juice In The Hood and CB4

I THREW THAT SHIT BEFORE I WALKED IN THE ROOM!

Slippery Jack 2nd September 2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 128374)
Your right yeah. Damn that tune is catchy!
"Across 110th Street,
Pimps trying to catch a woman that's weak
Across 110th Street,
Pushers won't let the junkie go free.
Across 110th Street,
Woman trying to catch a trick on the street.
Across 110th Street,
You can find it all in the street.
"

Saw the film quite recently - I was a little surprised that the title track wasn't the same version I know and love from Jackie Brown - thought it was quite a poor version to be honest, with a much weaker vocal . . .

Slippery Jack 2nd September 2011 08:57 AM

I saw Mandingo a few weeks back - that's an odd one! It's got the veneer of a respectable 'Hollywood epic', a worthy film about slavery starring James Mason - but then you've got a load of full-on exploitation stuff, including a brutal fight scene with a bare teeth throat ripping! :eek: worth a watch . . .

Make Them Die Slowly 2nd September 2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 178362)
I saw Mandingo a few weeks back - that's an odd one! It's got the veneer of a respectable 'Hollywood epic', a worthy film about slavery starring James Mason - but then you've got a load of full-on exploitation stuff, including a brutal fight scene with a bare teeth throat ripping! :eek: worth a watch . . .

My Nan was a massive fan of "Mandingo", "Drum" and all the other slave exploitation films. She also had a huge collection of similar themed books! Naughty Nan.

Splatterdragon73 10th September 2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 178339)
They released I'M GONNA GIT YOU SUCKA. A nice spoof of the Blaxploitation genre which spoofs everything from Shaft to Abby.

I used to own ILC Prime's release of the above until the widescreen R1 DVD arrived.

I Like the film too and watch out for a young Chris Rock rubbing Issac Hayes up the wrong way. The latter's fake Kung Fu moment also merits a laugh.

You gotta love the scene where former main man Antonio Fargas leaves jail in his '70s pimp attire and is promptly ridiculed off the streets! Also, good guy Jack Spade being reminded of when he was bullied by a family of midgets back at school.

"From the waist down you're mine!":lol:

I believe the Wayans brothers initially wanted Fred 'The Hammer' Williamson to appear in IGGYS and spoof his nickname persona. However, the above Blaxploitation legend was apparently less than impressed with the idea and reportedly flew over to the Wayans production office purely to tear up the film's script in front of the relevant siblings.:)

Splatterdragon73 10th September 2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 177096)
The new MGM mod dvd will be widescreen.

I think i'll stick with ILC Prime's fullscreen SH DVD since this release is at least an actual DVD and not a modified variant. Generally, i never go for a non-letterboxed edition over a widescreen version but in this case i'll make an exception. I purchased my own British SH copy years ago and it's still sealed!:blush:

Splatterdragon73 10th September 2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by napalm-in-the-morning (Post 177150)
New Lines Platinum Region 1 edition of Max Julien's The Mack is about as good as it's going to look.

I snapped up the above title years ago along with Universal's Willie Dynamite and That Man Bolt DVDs. The latter is the only one i've managed to watch so far and the other two remain brand new!:blush:

Splatterdragon73 10th September 2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 178348)
I'm Gonna Git You Sucka and Black Dynamite make a cracking double bill.

Damn right and i'm looking forward to seeing BD sooner or later. I own both the R1 and R2 DVDs just waiting to be watched at the right time.;)

Demoncrat 7th January 2018 03:39 PM

I still recommend Hitman, Hell Up In Harlem, The Black Gestapo, Cotton Comes To Harlem, Black Cobra and Friday Foster.