Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   VHS & Exploitation (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=573)
-   -   Troma (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/vhs-exploitation/955-troma.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd January 2009 11:51 PM

Troma

1 Attachment(s)
I see REDNECK ZOMBIES is out on R1 SE soon.Although it's probably shite,I'll need to get it anyway.....what's your favourite TROMA DVD?
I have a few,and some are hilariously bad......:rofl:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd January 2009 11:55 PM

On the still to watch pile I have.....
NIGHTBEAST
COMBAT SHOCK
TOXIC AVENGER
The only one I've watched is MOTHER'S DAY,which was rather good....:D
From the days of VHS I remember such 'classics' as
SURF NAZIS MUST DIE
CAPTAIN KABUKIMAN
ZOMBIE ISLAND MASSACRE
All of which were extremely dire......:rofl:

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd January 2009 01:45 PM

I love the Toxic Avenger films.I bought the complete Toxic Avenger boxset featuring all the films and the cartoon series then i found out that the version of Toxic Avenger 2 in the old ToxBox set was the longer japanese version so then i had to buy the ToxBox from ebay just to get hold of the part 2 again! It's hard work being a fan sometimes lol

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 3rd January 2009 01:49 PM

Anyone seen Poultrygeist: Night Of The Chicken Dead yet? It looks pretty funny from what I've seen. :)

Angel 3rd January 2009 02:27 PM

The longer Japanese cut of Toxic Avenger 2 has also been relased here in the UK. Sadly the first film here is still heavily cut.

NossB 3rd January 2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 19700)
CAPTAIN KABUKIMAN

When did Harry Griswold get a promotion?

NossB 3rd January 2009 02:54 PM

I used to be a massive fan of all things Troma, however as I got older my tastes changed.

I still pick up some of the classic releases, although I'm not too taken with the newer SOV Troma pick-ups.

vipco 3rd January 2009 03:11 PM

I liked Combat Shock. It's not the sort of film you'd expect from Troma but its a gem if you like your films downbeat and bleak, with a powerful punch at the end.
A depressing film but well worth watching.

Anyone know if its available in the UK.?

Angel 3rd January 2009 04:36 PM

Surprisingly it has never been available in the UK, Vips.

vincenzo 3rd January 2009 05:36 PM

Mother's Day has also never seen an official UK release ever since its cinema rejection back in 1980.

Angel 3rd January 2009 06:38 PM

Redneck Zombies once turned up on C4 in an extremely cut version, which was a surprise as I don't think the BBFC have even seen it.

Like Toxic Avenger, Rabid Grannies has only been available here in a cut version.

NossB 3rd January 2009 07:39 PM

Bravo used to show a version of The Toxic Avenger made up of the deleted scenes, which leaves out most of the gore and has some of the characters who died during the movie turn up slightly harmed but alive (a la Gremlins 2) at the end of the film.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th January 2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 19723)
I liked Combat Shock. It's not the sort of film you'd expect from Troma but its a gem if you like your films downbeat and bleak, with a powerful punch at the end.
A depressing film but well worth watching.

Anyone know if its available in the UK.?

Gonna watch this soon Vip's,take it it's a cut above the usual Troma fare then?

Rabid Grannies,-now there's a classy piece of cinema Angel!:jest:

jim corrupt 5th January 2009 04:32 PM

Although it is complete trash, Redneck Zombie's is a really good fun film to watch. I believe it's one of the many Troma films that they didn't make themselves and just released on the Troma label. I shall be getting the R1 i think as the only version ive got is just downloaded off the net, albeit uncut.
Worth watching for the Acid trip autopsy scene alone!

Almar@Cult Labs 5th January 2009 04:47 PM

Interesting little thread this - I've been putting off a client re-launching Troma in the UK. Not forever or anything but historically sales were horrible on VHS (mind you they were yup cut and rather horrible tapes) and how does everyone feel their films have stood the test of time? Let me know and if you're good I'll bring Troma back. ;)

jim corrupt 5th January 2009 04:52 PM

I think Troma has a HUGE underground following Almar. The likes of Horror Fanatics, Fangoria etc seemed to love Poultrygeist. So maybe a Troma revival is in order!
I think the main off-putting factor is that Troma movies are bvery hit and miss.
For all the good ones, theres twice as many stinkers.
Maybe just a 'Troma Classics' collection featuring the move obvious choices.
I.E;

Sgt Kabukiman NYPD
Toxic Avenger 1-4
Class of Nuk'em High
Rabid Grannies
Redneck Zombies etc etc

I for one would buy these if they were re-released in uncut versions.

Almar@Cult Labs 5th January 2009 04:56 PM

Wasn't Rabid Grannies just a film they packaged up? used to have the Virgin big box about that one - it was always a favourite of guests to pull out and go RABID GRANNIES???? How disgusting etc...

jim corrupt 5th January 2009 05:12 PM

im not sure about that one to be honest. It sounds like it SHOULD have been made byt Troma hehe

Angel 5th January 2009 05:13 PM

Toxic Avenger, Almar. A timeless classic.

It would be great to see this uncut over here for the first time. And it would definitely pass as well ;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th January 2009 06:36 PM

I think ALL of Troma's films would pass uncut now Almar,which,I reckon would make all the difference from the cut VHS days....;)

Almar@Cult Labs 5th January 2009 07:15 PM

Keep talking everyone... thing is are you happy enough importing US DVDs - have you bothered thus far - what would you want to see from Troma DVDs?

Sam 5th January 2009 07:45 PM

I've only seen a couple of Troma films, Mother's Day and Tromeo and Juliet, both on Zone Horror. They were both pretty good. I remember reading about a film called Dumpster Baby (I think:confused:) in Fangoria which sounded interesting as well.

Personally, I wouldn't go out of my way to import Troma titles but would definitely consider investing in a few if they starting being released on r2.

NossB 5th January 2009 07:56 PM

The R2 Troma releases so far have all been pap.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th January 2009 08:52 PM

As I say,I've only a few,and also wouldn't go out my way to import them,but if they appeared on r2 uncut,well,it's another 'collection' to hunt....;)

NossB 5th January 2009 09:17 PM

This is a pretty good collection of Troma movies from BCI

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

siccoyote 6th January 2009 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Shameless (Post 19818)
Keep talking everyone... thing is are you happy enough importing US DVDs - have you bothered thus far - what would you want to see from Troma DVDs?

Well I'd like to see them done properly, remastered, uncut & widescreen if possible. (not shorter director's cuts)

Also maybe if there was a line of Troma releases (only the entertaining, Troma-Produced ones) with an episode of Troma's Edge TV & Trailers for other releases on each disc.

Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead (2006)
Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV (2000)
Tromeo and Juliet (1996)
The Toxic Avenger (1984)
Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. (1991)
Terror Firmer (1999)
Troma's War (1988)
Class of Nuke 'Em High (1986)
Parts of the Family (2003) (V)
Mother's Day (1980)
Combat Shock (1986)
Screamplay (1985)

I think that's about all the decent ones.

They'd have to be promoted well and manage to carve a niche and a die-hard fan base which I guess is how they've managed to survive in America.

And avoid releasing crap like Surf Nazi's Must Die, Teenage Catgirls in Heat or They Call Me Macho Woman, until the line is established and maybe as double-bills even then.

NossB 6th January 2009 08:08 AM

As poor as it is, I'm sure a more than a few people would pick up an uncut R2 release of Bloodsucking Freaks if it ever happened.

Almar@Cult Labs 6th January 2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siccoyote (Post 19852)
Well I'd like to see them done properly, remastered, uncut & widescreen if possible. (not shorter director's cuts)

They'd have to be promoted well and manage to carve a niche and a die-hard fan base which I guess is how they've managed to survive in America.

And avoid releasing crap like Surf Nazi's Must Die, Teenage Catgirls in Heat or They Call Me Macho Woman, until the line is established and maybe as double-bills even then.

Thanks for the detailed ideas - all sound good to me - not sure what is even remotely possible but maybe this strange Troma beast might have legs in the UK.

Pete 6th January 2009 09:58 AM

How can regular punters resist movies with title's like; Surf Nazis Must Die!, Maniac Nurses Find Ecstasy, Killer Condom, Poultrygeist etc. I reckon they would fly off the shelves.

Angel 6th January 2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NossB (Post 19853)
As poor as it is, I'm sure a more than a few people would pick up an uncut R2 release of Bloodsucking Freaks if it ever happened.

Difficult to see this ever getting through uncut.

NossB 6th January 2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 19862)
Difficult to see this ever getting through uncut.

Hasn't it already been shown uncut on The Horror Channel/Zone Horror?

Pete 6th January 2009 11:41 AM

Yes, the horror channel version was uncut. Thats were i first saw it.

Matt 6th January 2009 12:43 PM

I'd only pick up Troma releases in the UK if they matched the import releases for content. If they weren't going to include at least the same bonus features (although exclusive UK content would be great) then I'd just as soon stick to importing the titles I want, which is easy enough to do. Plus, Troma DVD's are usually (if not always) region 0, so there won't ever be any compatibility issues.

That said, if titles were released over here with all the bonus features intact then I'd definitely be up for expanding my existing collection. I suppose my thoughts on a UK Troma launch are 'only if it's done properly'.

Oh, and Poultrygeist is great fun. Some of the songs are a little too ropey, but otherwise it's exactly the type of thing you'd expect from Troma. It's unlikely to win them many new fans, but if you do like their style of films you're likely to enjoy it.

Angel 6th January 2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NossB (Post 19875)
Hasn't it already been shown uncut on The Horror Channel/Zone Horror?

Yes it was uncut.

It was not shown with the approval of the BBFC though who have so far never seen the film. Decisions to pass or cut films are based on BBFC guidelines and UK law and Blood Sucking Freaks is unlikely to be found acceptable simply because it has been on TV uncut. Likewise the FX channel chose to show the uncut Death Wish 2 several times but it still wouldn't pass uncut today with an 18.

There are so many scenes in Blood Sucking Freaks showing naked women being tortured I think the BBFC would scarcely know where to begin

siccoyote 6th January 2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 19861)
How can regular punters resist movies with title's like; Surf Nazis Must Die!, Maniac Nurses Find Ecstasy, Killer Condom, Poultrygeist etc. I reckon they would fly off the shelves.

It's fine to sell stuff like this at the end of the line but if you sell it near the start it would put people off buying any more, you want it to go more.

Hmm, looks interesting, *buys* hmm that was quite good I'll buy another.

rather than

Hmm that title looks irresistible, *buys* hmm that was a big pile of wank, think I'll give the rest a miss.

For me a big draw would be if the set ended up including all the episodes of Troma's Edge TV (only 50% are available at the moment) also I think it'd be good for creating fans of the line and brand.

Also Artwork stuff like this:
http://www.lenkakrepelkova.co.uk/pas...GH_CS_0001.jpg
Not Crap like this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...NL._SS500_.jpg

jim corrupt 6th January 2009 05:53 PM

haha the latter cover is the version of Nuk'Em that i have
what a shit cover it is.
prism dvd is poo

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th January 2009 07:33 PM

Could the British public resist a title such as SURF NAZI'S MUST DIE?:D

NossB 6th January 2009 08:33 PM

The trailer for Surf Nazis is far better than the movie.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UUsY2v7bcww

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th January 2009 08:35 PM

Not to mention;
STUFF STEPHANIE IN THE INCINERATOR
GIRLS SCHOOL SCREAMERS
GRADUATION DAY
NYMPHOID BARBARIAN IN DINOSAUR HELL
DEMENTED DEATH FARM MASSACRE
CHILLERS
MONSTER IN THE CLOSET
EVIL CLUTCH
NIGHTBEAST
FAT GUY GOES NUTZOID
DEADLY DAPHNE'S REVENGE
CHOPPER CHICKS IN ZOMBIE TOWN

All winners of the prestigious P'alme D'or.......:rofl:

NossB 6th January 2009 08:47 PM

Only Troma could take a skin flick like Honey Britches and market it as a slasher movie under the name Demented Death Farm Massacre