Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2010, 02:54 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
Would the screening room serve delicious rat burgers for the showing?
Well they seemed to go down very well in the film - either that or we could go to Taco Bell for a gourmet meal!
Old 5th January 2010, 03:05 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Hmmm, I'll opt for the Rat burger please.

Preferable served by Denis Leary. This possible Almar?
Old 5th January 2010, 03:06 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Give it time...
Old 5th January 2010, 03:24 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankpuddle View Post
Enough's enough. So many people on this board are wanting titles that have already been released remastered, in most cases, somewhere in the world. I know, Shameless is a UK company and you guys want this stuff in PAL REGION 2... but if you're into the sort of movies that Shameless specializes in, you probably should already have multi-region DVD players and can import international releases. Right? No?
While I agree to an extent, skankpuddle, that it's important to release previously unreleased films I have to disagree that all fans are prepared to import international releases. I can only use myself as an example here but I personally do not have the time to search for international releases on the internet. Most of my DVD purchases come from either the high street or a couple of the more major online retailers such as Amazon and Play where I usually just click on "horror" and see what they recommend. As for the few international releases I do own, I tend to pick these up in shops while on holiday rather than doing any serious online browsing. This is not from my not being a serious fan of horror and exploitation, rather a lack of time for hunting down the best international versions of films available. I'm sure I'm not the only genre fan in this position.

As such, I welcome PAL releases from the likes of Shameless and Arrow. They make it easy for me to find and watch both hidden gems and notorious classics that I couldn't find time to track down on region 1 or from some obscure website. I say keep on releasing everything and anything. Like Almar's said, the well-known titles pay for the more obscure ones so what's the harm?

Last edited by Sarah@Cult Labs; 5th January 2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 5th January 2010, 07:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Especially when you get releases like the Bronx tin and the packages Arrow have put together recently Sarah.

They did them proud.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 6th January 2010, 05:26 PM
Cult Rookie

Default The sweet, sweet future (hopefully) of Shameless

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression with my last post. I love the work that Shameless has done. Their releases of the rare stuff like FOOTPRINTS, THE DESIGNATED VICTIM and especially OASIS OF FEAR are pure gold. I must say, though, that I wasn't aware that their releases of the titles previously available in other countries (e.g. NEW YORK RIPPER) were selling so well in the U.K. If that's the case, and if the success of those titles lends to funding the otherwise unavailable films, then by all means, do what you have to do, Shameless.

It's just that it's a frustrating time right now in the DVD market when regarding older, obscure cult films. Remember the early 2000's when the market was flooded with remastered DVDs of poliziotteschi, gialli and rare Euro cult titles that we thought would never surface on video, let alone restored for a digital format? Maybe that short lived era spoiled us because it seems that movement has become comparatively dead in the water, despite the occasional release of a rare gem here and there. That's why I became momentarily impatient with Shameless for not focusing their efforts entirely on previously unavailable titles. Now that I have a better understanding of how their releases of previously available films helps to fund their company, I'll admit that I stand corrected.

One more thing: I realize that Shameless prides themselves on doing their own restoration work, but it sure would be great to see them strike deals with foreign DVD companies that have restored and released non-English friendly versions of the rare titles we're looking for wherein Shameless could release the films - which have already been painstakingly remastered - with English audio or subs. I have to believe that it would be cheaper for Shameless than if they were to start from scratch on the restoration of a movie, and in many cases I'd bet that the rights entanglements surrounding these foreign-released titles had been straightened out already by those companies. I don't know, I just want to see Shameless release hordes of new titles every year... but maybe my suggestion goes against everything that Shameless stands for.
Old 6th January 2010, 07:28 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Don't worry - you didn't give the wrong impression at all - unless you're working in what remains of the UK industry you're not going to know and it's important fans understand the problems.

I'll pick up on another point - why not collaborate with other labels to use their restored versions or even extras - well the thing is some of them aren't that keen and would rather have the sales for themselves.

One possible and I stress possible ray of hope is we may see some poliziotteschi titles from Shameless - it's being considered.
Old 6th January 2010, 08:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm up for some poliziotteschi!
Old 6th January 2010, 08:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Poliziotteschi titles on Shameless would indeed be welcome.

I don't suppose that there is any chance of any Paul Naschy films on either Shameless or Arrow is there? I know that some of his titles have been reissued on DVD in Spain and from the screen shots that I've seen look great.
Old 6th January 2010, 09:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post

One possible and I stress possible ray of hope is we may see some poliziotteschi titles from Shameless - it's being considered.
That would be brilliant!

Any hints as to what might get released?

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Like this? Share it using the links below!