Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Crime & Thriller
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2009, 04:51 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Me too Angel. I hardly think sales of Alien, Night of The Living Dead and The Funhouse have been hurt by them being re-rated as 15.

Been a while since I last saw Terror Eyes (Night School) but I think it's pretty close to a 15 now. I don't see why Hell Night, Prom Night or Terror Train shouldn't be 15-rated now either.
Old 3rd September 2009, 05:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Prior to the 1970's the adult rating was 16 but it's unlikely we will ever see it again as the highest age rating, it would mean stricter censorship for a start.

Yes Vince most of the 70's/ 80's horrors could easily pass 15 today. The BBFC classify in accordance with their guidelines, they can't rate a film 18 when it deserves a 15 simply because it might hurt sales.
Old 3rd September 2009, 05:25 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Yes I know its illocical, but have VIPCO , and other Cult labels not put trailers in to up the overall package to 18 , so the higher rating must offer something.

15 dos'ent exactly promise violence/horror galore when you look how tame some 18's are .

I support the UK industry so as companies will continue to release here. I think that even if a products cut ie Ferox, it's important to get it plus an uncut version from else where as its important to support the UK horror market.
I suppose i'll have to give in some day and get 15 horror , pity you cant get stickers with 18 on them. lol
Old 3rd September 2009, 06:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes that's true some companies would prefer an 18, having said that some of the 15 horrors the BBFC have been passing recently have been fairly strong in terms of violence eg Black Christmas (remake), Scarecrow and Scarecrows, and also Land of the Dead.
Old 3rd September 2009, 06:29 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm sure Amsterdamned will do great whatever certificate it has.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 3rd September 2009, 07:49 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

In fact, it may even help it out. There are a lot of (crazy!) people who hate anything too violent and gruesome, so they automatically try to stay away from 18's, just as we are attracted to them like a mossie to light. Buzzzz! Plus it helps show that it is not just another gory slasher-fest of a film, but also incorporates conventions of the thriller genre too.

But I know EXACTLY what you mean Vips mate. If I were given the choice of picking an 18 rated film or a 15, the 18 would win (if I never knew what the films were).

12A's are out of the question though lol!
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:29 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
having said that some of the 15 horrors the BBFC have been passing recently have been fairly strong in terms of violence eg Black Christmas (remake), Scarecrow and Scarecrows, and also Land of the Dead.
Agree again, Angel. Land Of The Dead was a very strong 15. I also thought House Of Wax did pretty well to get a 15. The only recent downgrade I disagree on is Dirty Harry, which I still feel is 18 material.

Despite its lack of violence I would still rate the original Black Christmas as 18 today.
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:47 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I love and own Land of the Dead but I would'nt say it was overly violent , especially in a disturbing way, more of a fantasy, comic book way , that although slightly graphic, never unsettles in any way, nor is it lingered on.
Replace the Zombies with live viral infected humans and I dare say it might have got an 18, though Vinny and your good self Angel are more in a position to know that than I would , for sure.

Maybe a thread on violence in films under the 18 rating in the censorship corner might be a good idea as its very interesting what the BBFC allow in non 18 films, but rarely discused.
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:11 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Feel free to start one.

Meanwhile let's get of Amsterdamned.
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

AMSTERDAM ;city of gange,hookers,bikes and mad diver stalker slashers.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!