Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180035Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2010, 12:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love planet of the apes Got all on box set and tv series deffo a good watch from time to time
Beats a lot of sci fi films off today Didnt think much of remake tho, But then again im not a big fan of remakes
eg Day the earth stood still remake to me was feable, dull, boring, and had nothing at all to offer, to me it was just more of 1 big special effects film and thats all
Old 15th July 2010, 12:48 AM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

an enjoyable giallo AUTOPSY with Ray Lovelock amd Mimsy Farmer
a good release for Shameless.................
Old 15th July 2010, 07:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
This blows Star Wars clean out of the solar system, in my opinon of course
Two vastly different movies in my opinion. Anything's better than the prequels though. Uh-oh, mustn't. talk. about. the. prequels. Where are my meds? Got em. That's better. Lucas was replaced by devils spawn sometime around 1995. I have sedatives to stop me from going psycho at the mention of SW prequels.

Anyway, i have 2001 on blu-ray and haven't seen it yet, but it's suppposed to be sublime.
Old 15th July 2010, 07:22 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I went through that box set back in January over a few nights and am of the opinion that Beneath the Planet of the Apes is better than the first. Really. In the debate over superior sequels, you will always have The Godfather: Part II, Toy Story 2, Aliens and a whole bunch of other movies that I'm not going to list here, but I was content that the one film that is definitively better than the first one is Beneath the Planet of the Apes simply because it is better directed, better acted and has a much more interesting storyline.

Anyway, that's just my two cents -- feel free to disagree!
Old 15th July 2010, 07:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
...but I was content that the one film that is definitively better than the first one is Beneath the Planet of the Apes simply because it is better directed, better acted and has a much more interesting storyline.

Anyway, that's just my two cents -- feel free to disagree!
I agree and thought that ever since I was a kid and saw the movie on television. Just love that ending!
Old 15th July 2010, 07:30 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
Anyway, i have 2001 on blu-ray and haven't seen it yet, but it's suppposed to be sublime.
It is. They have taken the 70 mm negative and take a look quite sublime digital transfer and the movie looks so good that it could have been made last week. The soundtrack is also superb, with the emptiness of some scenes really brought into harsh juxtaposition with the space travel scene near the end which is eye-poppingly gorgeous.

I've never been a big fan of Star Wars; I didn't get into it when I was a kid and, watching it as an adult, you just see the flaws in George Lucas' direction of the first one and writing of the two sequels. Like you, I'm not even down to get into the sheer desperation of the prequels which are crimes against cinema, such as their sheer awfulness.
Old 15th July 2010, 07:36 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
I agree and thought that ever since I was a kid and saw the movie on television. Just love that ending!
As a leftie member of CND, I think that is one of the most powerful anti-nuclear weapons movies ever made. On that subject, I watched Dr Strangelove or: how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb on BD last night and that has scrubbed up extremely well and is still one of the finest movies ever made and one of my personal favourites.
Old 15th July 2010, 07:43 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
As a leftie member of CND, I think that is one of the most powerful anti-nuclear weapons movies ever made. On that subject, I watched Dr Strangelove or: how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb on BD last night and that has scrubbed up extremely well and is still one of the finest movies ever made and one of my personal favourites.

Whilst I may not share your political views, Miracle Mile for me, was the scariest nuclear war related movies for me. It was depressing and starkly realised. Don't laugh but I also found T2 chilling in that respect too. The nightmares that Sarah Connor experienced weren't far short of my fears back in 1991. (Clearly the ones about nuclear fire and not cyborgs )
Old 15th July 2010, 08:08 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
not really, beneath isn't great, Escape is good, i love Conquest and Battle is very poor, more post apocalyptic, but all are better than the Burton remake.
That remake is one of the most ridiculous movies I have ever seen. There are so many parts in it that almost killed me laughing.

The original is a true classic though. Must pick up the other ones, the boxset is pretty cheap

Anyway I watched one of my favourite zombie flicks Zombie Holocaust last night. The scene with the boat motor is up there in my all time favourite kills
Old 15th July 2010, 09:12 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I still haven't seen the remake as it's one of those films that I want to see because I've heard it's terrible but want to see so I can make up my own mind.

Like this? Share it using the links below!