Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2011, 07:37 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default DON'T LOOK NOW 1973 Nicolas Roeg

With the upcoming Blu Ray release of this classic chiller,I thought it should take it's rightful place on the Brit Horror thread.

One of the most haunting and beautiful films ever filmed,DON'T LOOK NOW was released as the main feature on a double bill with The Wicker Man by it's then distributor,British Lion.

Based on the story by Daphne Du Maurier,the film portrays tragedy,sadness eerieness,tenderness and,not to spoil it for the uninitiated,a sledgehammer to the jaw ending!
Classic stuff then,and rightly considered one of THE best British films of all time.

Any fellow fans?

Where did you first see it?

What impact did it have on you?

You reckon Christie and Sutherland WERE really at it?
(Christie's then beau,Warren Beatty seemed to think so!)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51CvWRh1LQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (17.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg ost.jpg (16.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg dln.jpg (8.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg tragic.jpg (11.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg shattering.jpg (6.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg spooky.jpg (7.7 KB, 1 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 8th March 2011, 07:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

this thread should be deleted

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 8th March 2011, 07:46 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Any fellow fans?
Too right!

It's a superb British thriller, and one the best films to come out of the '70s (which is saying a lot!)

I first saw it on the old Studio Canal DVD release almost 10 years ago now, which I'm betting is a lot later than some people on here!

I would have loved to see it at the cinema on release, but alas, it was made 10 years before I was born!

The infamous shock ending was completely mind-blowing on the first watch, and I immediately had to go back and watch it all again, trying to pick up clues and information I may have missed tthe first time around.

The tense well-written plot and beautiful cinematography makes this a timeless classic in my eyes - roll on the Blu-Ray!

(And yeah, Christie and Pleasance were definitely into each other. )
Old 8th March 2011, 07:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
You've lost me there Nek......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 8th March 2011, 07:48 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Go back to your bland post 2000 horror remakes, nek!
Old 8th March 2011, 07:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
You've lost me there Nek......
There was a pretty big discussion in the Blu-Ray thread about him and Kyle not liking this (amazing!) film.

Too young to comprehend it, I say - too much Cartoon Network has rotted their brains!
Old 8th March 2011, 07:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Too right!

It's a superb British thriller, and one the best films to come out of the '70s (which is saying a lot!)

I first saw it on the old Studio Canal DVD release almost 10 years ago now, which I'm betting is a lot later than some people on here!

I would have loved to see it at the cinema on release, but alas, it was made 10 years before I was born!

The infamous shock ending was completely mind-blowing on the first watch, and I immediately had to go back and watch it all again, trying to pick up clues and information I may have missed tthe first time around.

The tense well-written plot and beautiful cinematography makes this a timeless classic in my eyes - roll on the Blu-Ray!

(And yeah, Christie and Pleasance were definitely into each other. )
I first saw it on video many many years ago.
I can't be sure,but I think it was Thorn Emi who released it.
I can be sure though,it was D E R it was rented from!

I never saw it again until I picked up the Warner Terror Vision tape-collectible in that it included three art/fact cards!

I have it on Studio Canal dvd,but I think the Optimum dvd trounced it pic-wise,so the BD will be most interesting.

The wintry Venice setting-superb!
How many later films did THAT have an influence on?

Old 8th March 2011, 07:53 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
There was a pretty big discussion in the Blu-Ray thread about him and Kyle not liking this (amazing!) film.

Too young to comprehend it, I say - too much Cartoon Network has rotted their brains!

Ah right.
Stick to the yeti films then guys!

Old 8th March 2011, 07:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:

There are many people that don't like it and think it's (whisper it) boring. My wife and her best mate watched it on my recommendation and they often cite it as "that shit film you recommended" like it's from the Asylum Pictures school of filmmaking.

It's a film very much of it's time. If you're not into deep, meaningful, leisurely-paced films then it's not one for you.

It's one of my favourite films.
Old 8th March 2011, 08:02 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm a massive fan of the film and have seen it myriad times -- the first time was when I bought the DVD, not knowing too much about the film other than it is regarded as one of the greatest British horror films ever made. It is truly a terrific film and, whilst the first viewing will have the most impact, repeated viewings are still creepy, atmospheric and quite sad when you fully understand John Baxter's character.

I've already compiled my top 20 favourite zombie and vampire lists and am currently working on favourite horror-comedies and British films. I am struggling where to put Don't Look Now in the list but it will definitely be the top three and that's including the Monty Python movies, those made at the Ealing and Hammer studios and things like The Third Man.

I don't want to spoil the party, but I think Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie were actors at the peak of their powers who were, as the saying goes, 'in this zone' and that's all there was to that scene.

Like this? Share it using the links below!