Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2011, 08:32 AM
Active Cultist

It's Halloween for me,the blueprint of all things slasher.The music and the use of space in this movie is just mind-boggling,DP Dean Cundey did extraordinary job.There's still not a decent release of Halloween here in Finland,which is equally mind-boggling.I hope AB goes back for this and fixes the colour issues for a new BD release,and adds some of the footage found couple a years ago,and held by Don May,Jr of Synapse Films I think,to a bonus disc.It's true Carpenter 'borrowed' some ideas from Bob Clark,but what the hell,one thing always leads to another.Other great ones from '78: Les Raisins de la Mort / The Grapes of Death by Jean Rollin,the weird and wonderful Alucarda from Mexico (recommended for all lovers of satanic cinema) and EscalofrÃ*o / Satan's Blood.
Old 19th April 2011, 08:36 AM
Active Cultist

And why is Dawn of the Dead not on my list? Only Argento's version got released in '78,and that's not the original,it's like watching some messed up bootleg.A classic for sure,but I'll put it in 1979's listing.
Old 2nd August 2011, 04:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I can't pick between Dawn Of The Dead and Halloween, both are absolutely phenomenal. Dawn is the more rewatchable, but Halloween is the scarier of the two. Nope, can't do it.
thelostclassics likes this.
Old 2nd August 2011, 05:16 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Dawn Of The Dead, just ahead of Halloween. Both classics, but Romero's epic wins for me.

Am I alone in not rating Kaufman's version of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers? It seemed spooky as a kid, but later viewings revealed that - though well made technically - it is ponderous, a bit full of itself and, ultimately, boring. I certainly much prefer the original and the Ferrara versions.
Old 2nd August 2011, 06:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Dawn of the Dead or Halloween, I think, considering I have 4 different editions of Dawn on DVD and only 1 of Halloween, I think Dawn just about wins, although Halloween is far scarier but that's all to do with the soundtrack!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 11th August 2011, 08:01 PM
Cultist

As much as I love Dawn of the Dead, my vote for the best easily goes to Halloween. It's just the perfect little horror film. My favorite horror film of all years.
Old 7th September 2011, 07:20 PM
Cult Rookie

Have to go with Halloween over Dawn of the Dead too.
Others:
Damien: Omen II
Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (remake)
Jaws 2
The Legacy
Oh and of course Piranha
Night of the Creeps (1986)
Old 23rd October 2011, 01:48 PM
Active Cultist

After much deliberation, I feel as if I can safely say I prefer Dawn of the Dead over Halloween....no, wait, I prefer Halloween over Dawn of the Dead...no, wait....I am going to go with Dawn of the Dead.
Old 26th November 2011, 01:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Patrick and Grapes of Death is awsome movies from this year.

Did anyone else noticed the similarities between Jean Rollin's film and Lucio Fulci's The Beyond? Not the plot but certain parts in it almost made me wonder if the master of gore saw this himself before directing his classic.
salem_kapsaski likes this.
Old 26th November 2011, 02:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Jerzy Skolimowski's THE SHOUT
Hell yes, that's the one for me . . .

Like this? Share it using the links below!