Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2008, 07:31 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

First saw it on the flicks (as Cannibal) years back on a double bill with Psychic Killer.

The UK DVD is cut (the crocodile killing and the rape scene). I can happily live without the former but the rape is pretty essential to the story.
Old 31st May 2008, 07:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Well worth a watch Reap's.
A very enjoyable jungle adventure.
Another very enteraining entry in the jungle adventure catagory is Deep River Savages.
Old 31st May 2008, 08:06 PM
Ex-member

i see last cannibal world as a entry level cannibal film its got some gore some light animmal slaugther if you like it you should like other cannibal films
Old 1st June 2008, 10:46 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
I am in no way trying to start a row with J8, but I don't want to get stuck in pointless posting about animal cruelty with someone who can only see a film such as CH as animal snuff, when infact its a film which is putting across a very valid message.

Im sorry for being blunt in my last post but I wanted to put my point across in a way that will prevent alot of pointless posts focusing on 4mins approx out of a 90+ min movie.
Untill you can come back and discuss the movie as a whole , in a construtive way , I withdraw from any further comment on the film as I dont think its good for the forum to contine this debate when you cant see the whole movie , only those 4 or 5mins max of it.

I don't think you were blunt, you were frank but made some valid points.

I think to dismiss a genre of film (or anything for that matter) without really looking into it or gaining information to uphold your argument is very silly and makes you (the person making the statement) look foolish.

I agree with you (and have said so on a previous occasion) that I really do not like animal cruelty in films but your point about directors making a point by including such scenes is right. They are usually political statements (unless it's someone simply out to shock) and should be seen in context. Had the person who said they wanted these films banned done their homework they would have known this and not made a sweeping statement.

I have to say that I really enjoy it when people challenge and question views and opinions but feel incredibly frustrated when someone argues but cannot make a valid point to back up their opinion.
Old 1st June 2008, 11:51 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Thankyou very much Steve.
Your completely right, it is frustrating when people judge a film on one or two scenes and take the film outta context.
Its unfortunate that such a powerful movie will only be remembered for under 3mins of footage by a good few people .

I don't like unnecessary animal cruelty myself and films like Addio Africa disgust me , as imho all the cruelty is purely for shock / entertainment . Plus how some of the animals found themselves the victim of such cruelty is a bit suspicious.
Still just because I watched it and didn't like it , wouldn't make me want to deney others the freedom to watch it.
I would just refrain from watching it again myself.

Last edited by vipco; 1st June 2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 2nd June 2008, 08:43 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
According to HMV Cannibal Holocaust is to be re released soon and are taken pre orders.
Does anyone know who's releasing it or if its the same version as the VIPCO versions.
Why bother getting it at all, when you can get the Uncut Grindhouse version, which also includes a non-animal cruelty version, for the those who can't stomach the real thing. This is by far the best release ever of this classic.
Old 2nd June 2008, 10:06 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanner View Post
Why bother getting it at all, when you can get the Uncut Grindhouse version, which also includes a non-animal cruelty version, for the those who can't stomach the real thing. This is by far the best release ever of this classic.
I only posted to let people know it was getting re released and was interested to know if an uncut print was submitted to the BBFC , as when it comes to censorship we've a mod and a senior member here whose knowledge on the subject is second to none.

I have the EC uncut dvd plus 3 VIPCO dvd's of Holocaust , its the same with Ferox , I have the grindhouse and SMM (Dutch) uncut versions plus 2 VIPCO versions and various vhs versions of both. I prefer them fully uncut.
Im just extremely compulsive when it comes to these films, I honestly cant help it.
Its not like I can afford to buy the same film several times, I have had to do without other films I wanted , to buy these , though not my Shameless .

Last edited by vipco; 2nd June 2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 2nd June 2008, 10:11 AM
Ex-member

I'm the same, I had 3 uncut versions of Ferox, and 3 uncut versions of Cannibal Holocaust, I really like both films.
Old 2nd June 2008, 10:17 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Brilliant films.
Old 2nd June 2008, 10:49 AM
Ex-member

Yeah, Plus both films have caused a lot of contraversy over the yrs, both good and bad.

Like this? Share it using the links below!