Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th July 2011, 11:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
I'm also assuming the 95-minute Italian interview with Romano Scavolini comes with English subtitles.
From what they´re saying in other forums it won´t.
Old 10th July 2011, 11:33 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The reason is explained on the previous page of this thread.
Old 10th July 2011, 08:26 PM
Cult Addict

Default Code red's nightmare.

Few issues with this release.

1. 3 versions of the film, all look scratchy. 4:3 version seems to look best. Better quality than the poor anchor bay release in terms of detail and coloring, but i'm sure the old pre-cert vhs looked better than this.

2. Wrong aspect ratio? The old pre-cert tape went to 2:35:1 in the end credits, is code reds version really in the right aspect ratio?

3. 95 minute interview in italian without subtitles...really

Overall not terrible, but not one of code reds finer jobs from my perspective...

what does anyone else think... queries, opinions?
Old 10th July 2011, 08:34 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The original OAR is 1.33:1.
Nightmare (1981) - IMDb

The 1.33:1 version is the director's approved version.

Btw there's already a topic on this.
http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/euro...highlight=code
Old 10th July 2011, 08:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

it will be scratchy becuase this is the best print out there for this film
code red spent a lot of time and money finding the best print of this and this is what we have. It does not have DNR or added grain so its all good.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 10th July 2011, 08:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Few issues with this release.

1. 3 versions of the film, all look scratchy. 4:3 version seems to look best. Better quality than the poor anchor bay release in terms of detail and coloring, but i'm sure the old pre-cert vhs looked better than this.

2. Wrong aspect ratio? The old pre-cert tape went to 2:35:1 in the end credits, is code reds version really in the right aspect ratio?

3. 95 minute interview in italian without subtitles...really

Overall not terrible, but not one of code reds finer jobs from my perspective...

what does anyone else think... queries, opinions?

I have to disagree with you, keirarts...

1. I think the 4:3 looks worst, and they're all scratchy but that is the best it'll ever look. Bill @ CR spent a long time trying to figure this out and he did the best he could with what materials even still exist for the movie. I thought the colors mostly looked good on the 16:9 versions, and there is some surprisingly good detail in those transfers too (since they were done in HD). Ultimately, you can't polish a turd. And Anchor Bay never released this.

2. Aspect ratio is correct. In fact, the 4:3 version is the one that Scavolini prefers, but 16:9 is the theatrical ratio. That tape must've had it screwed up (which tapes often did).

3. If you check online, you'll see the history of why the interview is unsubbed. Quickly, CR spent a ton of money on the transfers and couldn't really afford to sub the interview any longer. It was supposed to be done in English, but the interviewer screwed up and did what he wanted to do (even though both he and the director speak very good English). Some folks tried to help out with subbing it for CR, myself included for transcribing them anyways, but it apparently fell through. The fellow doing the subbing agreed to do it over a year ago for free but in his free time. Apparently he never had free time... This was a cursed release, so the fact that it was actually released is just short of a miracle.

And I'd say it's one of Code Red's top releases. I'm thinking you haven't followed the history of this release and maybe your expectations were higher than the ought to have been. That's not a bash, btw, just a guess I'm making.

EDIT: Ah! I see others replied quicker than I did.
Old 10th July 2011, 08:42 PM
Cult Addict

thanks!
Old 10th July 2011, 08:56 PM
Cult Addict

shame really, still looks 'iffy' but better than the anchor bay disc. Colors are better and image detail is much better, shame about the print damage.

My mate is raging on at me over the phone... apparently its in the wrong aspect ratio.
Old 10th July 2011, 09:03 PM
Cult Addict

[QUOTE=bgart13;164913]I have to disagree with you, keirarts...

1. I think the 4:3 looks worst, and they're all scratchy but that is the best it'll ever look. Bill @ CR spent a long time trying to figure this out and he did the best he could with what materials even still exist for the movie. I thought the colors mostly looked good on the 16:9 versions, and there is some surprisingly good detail in those transfers too (since they were done in HD). Ultimately, you can't polish a turd. And Anchor Bay never released this.

Anchor bay did release it in the box of the banned collection, I know its the same as the hard gore version, (same disc and everything), but its on the label.
Old 10th July 2011, 09:08 PM
Cult Addict

Thanks to all for the feedback, helped me tons, I'm a big fan of code reds output, and i've shelled out day of release for everything so far.

Just trying to get a bit of calrification, my buddy whose a bigger fan of this than me swears its in the wrong ratio.

Can anyone link me the interview with scavolini so I can forward it to him?!

Like this? Share it using the links below!