Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2023, 10:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Weren't you being similarly cynical about the news of the Amicus revival, Demdike?

Cynicism is perfectly understandable on both fronts. Chances of either one producing films that are anything like the originals in this day and age are extremely low.
ramses and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 1st September 2023, 10:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Weren't you being similarly cynical about the news of the Amicus revival, Demdike?

Cynicism is perfectly understandable on both fronts. Chances of either one producing films that are anything like the originals in this day and age are extremely low.
A big difference between somebody taking over the running of a film production studio as Gore has done with Hammer with a new cinema release about to come out with actual, you know, recognisable stars in Eddie Izzard, Simon Callow and Lindsay Duncan and some chancers making micro budget films and being allowed to call them Amicus productions.

As for your second sentence. How was The Woman in Black not similar to classic Hammer for instance? It had a strong cast, fantastic sets and one hell of an atmosphere.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 1st September 2023 at 10:36 PM.
Old 2nd September 2023, 11:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Woman In Black is great. But in my humble opinion, there is one big difference from the older Hammer films. It had an awful lot of jump scares, probably too many imo and that seems to be very much a modern horror film take.
Old 14th September 2023, 01:38 PM
Cult Master

Suzy Eddie Izzard Is Doctor Jekyll In New Hammer Film, With October Release Date Confirmed – Exclusive / Empire

"Film studios don’t get much more iconic than Hammer Films, the production company that defined the horror genre in Britain throughout the 1950s, 1960s and beyond, releasing classics including Dracula, The Curse Of Frankenstein and The Mummy. Whilst the studio’s repertoire expands beyond just horror movies, its back catalogue of monsters and more are its signature, and have had a lasting impact on the genre to this day. Nearly 90 years after Hammer was founded, they’re moving into a new era with the release of Doctor Jekyll – a modern take on the classic double-identity story, starring comedy and screen legend Suzy Eddie Izzard in the titular role.

Izzard plays Nina Jekyll, an infamous doctor who takes on some hired help in the form of ex-convict Rob (Scott Chambers). Little does Rob know, he’s part of a sinister master plan concocted by Nina’s alter-ego, Rachel Hyde. Chaos and weirdness ensures, and he and Nina must work together to prevent Hyde from destroying Jekyll’s life. Empire has two new exclusive images from the movie to share – the first showing Izzard as Nina...

...[and] the second features both Izzard and Chambers, and hints at the gothic feel and setting of the film.

Empire can also exclusively reveal that Doctor Jekyll will be released in UK cinemas from 27 October – a supremely spooky time of year, and just in time for Halloween. The film also stars Lindsay Duncan and Simon Callow, and is directed by Joe Stephenson."

**NOTE - It's a shame I had to correct the above article with regards to the name of the main actress!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 15th September 2023 at 02:05 PM.
Old 16th September 2023, 11:02 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The official poster for the new Doctor Jekyll film:

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 4th October 2023, 10:41 PM
Cult Master

'Dr Jekyll' trailer

Old 4th October 2023, 10:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
'Dr Jekyll' trailer

Just seen the name of the star of the film. I hope you've complained to Hammer about it after your indignation a couple of weeks ago.
Old 5th October 2023, 07:07 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just seen the name of the star of the film. I hope you've complained to Hammer about it after your indignation a couple of weeks ago.
That still annoys me, but I feel I have to ask why you have brought it up again?

After the long argument / disagreement that we had, which resulted in this thread being locked for a period, and ultimately a number of posts being removed, do you really feel it is necessary to stoke the hornet's nest again?

Old 5th October 2023, 09:33 AM
Cult Veteran

This should be taken as a lesson against virtue signalling. Don’t get offended on behalf of someone else. Eddie Izzard is their well established stage name, I’m sure they know exactly what they’re doing professionally without others chiming in.

The question people SHOULD be asking is does the film actually look any good?

(Life long Izzard fan here, I’m unsure)

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd October 2023, 10:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Very positive reviews thus far, and two friends of mine who’ve seen it both said how pleasantly surprised they were. So fingers crossed.

Like this? Share it using the links below!