View Single Post
Old 5th February 2015, 09:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
It drained the life and enthusiasm from me. It feels like a film that was made simply because they had to (probably because original director David R. Ellis died before making it). There's no passion from anyone. The lead actress mopes about and Sam Jackson practically leaves every scene yawning. When a film delivers a boring performance from Mr. "YES THEY DESERVE TO DIE AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!!!", you know the script is lacking something serious.

But it's the film's look that killed me. It's set in a post-economic crash world and the filmmakers think the way to convey that is by dirtying up some extras, put a few holes in walls and slap a sickly green-brown filter over every scene. Imagine green-brown for 90 minutes. Ugh!

And because the filmmakers saw District 13, they included some random moments of parkour - complete with ear-shatteringly crap dubstep. Wretched stuff.

Even the film's potential sleaze and violence is drab. The head explosions are nowhere as awesome as Scanners, Hellraiser 3 or Raiders of the Lost Ark. They're more like somebody popped some bubblegum. Even the sound effect sounded like a quick, wet fart.

Did you ever see the original anime? Its subject matter (such as underage rape) is likely to offend but it was a stylish, fast paced affair that allowed time for its characters to develop. Plus, there is an action sequence set in bathroom that is one of the best committed to film.

The live-action remake's equivalent is a boring, cover-shoot affair. No pizzazz or flair - just standard cover-shooting. The most exciting moment was when my cat walked across the screen. Honest to God, could they not have her shoot the urinals and use the water to slide across the room and gun down the baddies?

Seriously, Kite is shite.
Cough Spoiler much??
Was looking forward to this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]