View Single Post
Old 10th July 2020, 01:34 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Grateful, but how long can these businesss carry on with the amount of streaming services popping up. I would imagine that Blu-Ray has another, possibly, 5-10yrs of life, before the plug get pulled. Thank God I've bought three Blu Ray players + plus the one I use currently. Corporations are constantly pushing these newish services more and more, and more people are going for the easier option of streaming.
I look at it like this, £4.99 - £9.99 a month for about say 200 films worth watching across multiple streaming platforms with new ones added every month VS £15.99 to £24.99 per Blu-ray/4K release, now you buy 4 of those 4K releases at £24.99 in one shopping trip, that's nearly £100.00. If you do that twice in a month thats £200. See what I mean. Personally, I'd much prefer a physical copy of a film but Blu-ray or Physical media is niche market these days. I buy a few every couple of months depending on sales because I can't afford to pay out big amounts for full priced items, however, If i can rent the same film on Amazon prime for £2.49 then why not go that route?

I currently pay for Netflix, Disney+, Now TV sky cinema and Amazon Prime video, that comes to about £40.00 a month, which I can afford. One of the reasons I left the labs five years ago was because my media purchases screwed me over financially to no fault of my own and I ended up with about 8000 dvds/blu-rays. I would love to go to HMV or Fopp to buy movies but at the prices they sell for these days, especially the boutique labels, it's just not financially viable. I want the new Second Sight Dawn Of The Dead release but at £64.99 for the standard blu boxset, i just can't justify spending that money.

Streaming is by far the easier and cheaper option. It's just the reality of the current state of entertainment.