Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th December 2017, 04:35 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
I agree with Mr Harker. Starting with Death Wish II, the series definitely at least partly exploits both the genre and the basic storyline, but the original 1974 Death Wish doesn't condone vigilantism. The fact that it also does not overtly hammer "Don't take the law into your own hands!" into the viewer's head doesn't make it a manipulative film. The fact that the viewer can understand Kersey's actions and that the film is intense enough to make the viewer feel for Kersey doesn't mean that he is tricked into believing that Kersey's actions are right.
Yet he is just as bad as those who commit those crimes,So that is alright then?
Old 27th December 2017, 04:55 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Yet he is just as bad as those who commit those crimes,So that is alright then?

I think it’s more that the sequels (especially part 3), glorifies vigilantism, and that one basically turns it into slapstick with they way he takes out the bad guys. Me, I don’t think that he’s as bad as the people he takes out n the first film (well, those ones who raped his daughter and killed his wife).
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 28th December 2017, 03:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I never got the impression that the original Death Wish is pro-vigilantism. Death Wish was more of a character study, following a mild-mannered man's decline into murder. Yes, a lot of characters in the film cheer on Kersey's actions, but it's worth remembering when the film was made. New York's crime rate in the 1970s was way higher than it is today, and the film captured people's frustration with the legal system. And another point in the film's favour - compare Kersey at the beginning of the film with the Kersey at the end. That last shot scares me.

Now Death Wish II is a vile, repugnant film that wallows in vigilantism. The rape scene is extremely brutal just so we can savour the violent acts Kersey commits later.

The follow-ups wisely went into cartoon territory, which negates the ultra right-wing idealism of the series.
Demoncrat and Prince_Vajda like this.
Old 28th December 2017, 12:44 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
compare Kersey at the beginning of the film with the Kersey at the end. That last shot scares me.
Indeed that last shot tells you "I will get you....because I can" and that is subtle during the film's lengh.
Old 28th December 2017, 01:00 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Indeed that last shot tells you "I will get you....because I can" and that is subtle during the film's lengh.
Or is it "I might get you... because you deserve it"...

Old 28th December 2017, 01:06 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Or is it "I might get you... because you deserve it"...

More down the lines of "I will get you sometime because I am beginning to like it"
Old 28th December 2017, 01:13 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
More down the lines of "I will get you sometime because I am beginning to like it"
Partly in Death Wish II, and maybe also in all other sequels - yes.
Death Wish - no.
Old 7th February 2022, 03:33 PM
Cult Master

Hurrah!

Recognition at last!

Bruce Willis Now Has His Own Category at the Razzie Awards After Appearing in 8 Garbage Films in 2021 / Paste Magazine

"...The Razzie Awards, the industry’s annual sarcastic celebration of the worst in film, announced the nominees for its 42nd awards show on Monday, and among the usual suspects was a new category specifically "honoring" the B-movie output of Bruce Willis. The new category, titled "Worst Performance by Bruce Willis in a 2021 Movie," includes the eight feature films that Willis made in 2021, not a single one of which will have a title familiar to anyone but the most inveterate action junkie. The films are as follows:

— American Siege
— Apex
— Cosmic Sin
— Deadlock
— Fortress
— Midnight in the Switchgrass
— Out of Death
— Survive the Game"
nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 7th February 2022, 04:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Hurrah!

Recognition at last!

Bruce Willis Now Has His Own Category at the Razzie Awards After Appearing in 8 Garbage Films in 2021 / Paste Magazine

"...The Razzie Awards, the industry’s annual sarcastic celebration of the worst in film, announced the nominees for its 42nd awards show on Monday, and among the usual suspects was a new category specifically "honoring" the B-movie output of Bruce Willis. The new category, titled "Worst Performance by Bruce Willis in a 2021 Movie," includes the eight feature films that Willis made in 2021, not a single one of which will have a title familiar to anyone but the most inveterate action junkie. The films are as follows:

— American Siege
— Apex
— Cosmic Sin
— Deadlock
— Fortress
— Midnight in the Switchgrass
— Out of Death
— Survive the Game"
8 films Gee not even sure I can name or remember last film I saw or heard him in, probably death wish remake, .
Old 30th March 2022, 05:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

It's a shame that Bruce has now retired from acting due to brain disorder aphasia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60934576

Thanks for the memories and some terrific films Bruce and i hope you can be as comfortable as possible in your retirement.

Like this? Share it using the links below!