All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2013, 07:10 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I have heard a few complaints about Arrow's Demons discs, including the colour.
Old 29th January 2013, 07:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Really? I've not read any complaints about Demons, Tenebrae yes but Demons no. The Demons films are two that I haven't watched massively, I had the old UK releases but really liked Arrows editions. So what's wrong with the colours? Have we all missed something?
Old 29th January 2013, 07:41 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
Really? I've not read any complaints about Demons, Tenebrae yes but Demons no. The Demons films are two that I haven't watched massively, I had the old UK releases but really liked Arrows editions. So what's wrong with the colours? Have we all missed something?
There were some complaints about the colour on the Arrow disc have a slight green tint. Guess that's what Don is talking about.
Old 29th January 2013, 08:10 PM
Active Cultist

I thought the colour timing was fine, but black levels weren't quite as strong as they could have been (I believe this was the most common complaint). Demons 2 suffered from some at-times-obvious compression issues as well.

Otherwise, Arrow did a great job. Barring a stupendous night/day improvement from Synapse, I'm in no rush to "upgrade".
Old 29th January 2013, 08:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I own both Demons blu rays and I'm pleased with them but there is certainly room for improvement. There are some compression issues and the colors can stand to be slightly tweaked.

Anchor Bay

Arrow Blu
Old 29th January 2013, 09:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Thought Arrow's Tenenbrae looked outstanding myself.
Old 29th January 2013, 09:40 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

I have always thought it in very poor taste for one company to slag off another's releases - these releases are very hard to get right and to point the finger only invites people to expect that you'll deliver perfection - which I think not advisable when dealing with old Italian films!
Daemonia, Mojo, Rik and 2 others like this.
Old 29th January 2013, 10:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Thought Arrow's Tenenbrae looked outstanding myself.
Why's that?
Old 29th January 2013, 11:50 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Demons duo and Phenomena are all outstanding releases from Arrow. Not sure why Don would want to talk them down, although I guess that serves a prupose for shifting his own product. Still seems a bit below-the-belt.

And before anyone brings up the matter of Zombie Flesh Eaters and the statement about Variety Film never having heard of BU, let's nip that in the bud, as it was a third party that stated that, Arrow themselves never even mentioned it.

This, however, is a different matter, this is Synapse themselves stating that the Arrow releases aren't right and they'll do it better. Don May Jr. should know better, he's been in the business long enough. And considering they've worked closely with Arrow (Maniac Cop, Frankenhooker, The Exterminator) it makes it all the more strange. They've also enlisted the input of High Rising, and I'm sure they can thank Arrow for that too. So that makes it doubly strange again. Very odd behaviour from Synapse.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 30th January 2013, 01:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Kinda surprised to see the board defending the company that basically told them they no longer needed them but I get what you mean.

I don't have either Demons blu ray and I love the synapse I have so I\ll probably grab them. I bought the tenebrae dvd because it was actually better than the Blu. I LOVE the Arrow Blu of Phenomena but as an Argento fan I'll pick up all 4 releases.

Like this? Share it using the links below!