Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th December 2010, 07:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
It's the frame rate that's the issue. Most European TV's can accept a native 60hz signal alongside a 50Hz so a player can output it native. Not so common in NTSC regions for TV's to accept 50Hz so the player would usually have to do an internal conversion, which isn't common. If everything was 1080i/60 or 1080p/24 then no problem.
You are so confused...

What´s that frame rate has to do with refresh rate???
Old 19th December 2010, 09:11 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
What size of screen did you watch it on? I watched it on a 42" plasma and never noticed the artifacting. But then again, I was asked at work why I was squinting to read text on a pc moniter a foot and a half from my face
46 inch. Its most noticable in the foggy scenes. It looks like the filmgrain is fighting for their life with those pesky little blocks

"A foot and a half"? Bah! Tell them you got the eyesight of an eagle, buddy!
Old 19th December 2010, 11:10 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Bay is a different film. It has what to do with the BD of City?

Clearly I was using it as a second example of how Arrow had got the colours wrong, or done them poorly. Frankly, after seeing the yellow tinge making everyone look ill on the screencaps of the Deep Red DVD I could be using that as a third example but I'll wait until I've seen it properly before deciding. Perhaps someone on the Arrow staff overseeing the transfers is colour-blind, it'd explain a lot.
Old 19th December 2010, 11:33 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

You seem to forget that Arrow doesn't make these hd transfers themselves and that they are supplied by the licensors...
Old 19th December 2010, 11:37 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
You seem to forget that Arrow doesn't make these hd transfers themselves and that they are supplied by the licensors...

Really? So how come the release from BU is different despite coming from the same master? Someone somewhere is altering the look of the film. Maybe Arrow isn't the problem then if they don't do the transfers in-house, but someone's messing them up if BU can get a better result from the same master.
Old 19th December 2010, 12:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead0303 View Post
Really? So how come the release from BU is different despite coming from the same master? Someone somewhere is altering the look of the film. Maybe Arrow isn't the problem then if they don't do the transfers in-house, but someone's messing them up if BU can get a better result from the same master.
More extras on Arrow´s part mean less encoding bitrate.

That master is the same, only the encoding is diferent.
Old 19th December 2010, 12:00 PM
Cultist in Training

Okay, I've compared the two again, and basically what it boils down to is that the Arrow release is a lot brighter, making the colours look more washed-out. This would still suggest that someone at Arrow (unless it's an encoding issue) decided to brighten the image to the detriment of the colours.
Old 19th December 2010, 12:01 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
More extras on Arrow´s part mean less encoding bitrate.

That master is the same, only the encoding is diferent.

Could the encoding be responsible for the brighter image? And by that I mean not something deliberate.
Old 19th December 2010, 04:13 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead0303 View Post
Clearly I was using it as a second example of how Arrow had got the colours wrong, or done them poorly. Frankly, after seeing the yellow tinge making everyone look ill on the screencaps of the Deep Red DVD I could be using that as a third example but I'll wait until I've seen it properly before deciding. Perhaps someone on the Arrow staff overseeing the transfers is colour-blind, it'd explain a lot.
That's a nice thing to say. There is no call for this.
Old 19th December 2010, 06:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

If you are finding the colours too bright, adjust your tv

Seriously though, everyone likes different things. Just because the 2 pictures are different doesn't mean someone has made a mistake.

Like this? Share it using the links below!