Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th September 2010, 11:02 AM
Technical Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entity Appliance View Post
HAHA! Beginning to wonder whether my home cinema system is just piss-poor tbh.

In saying that, the majority of discs sound top notch. It could just be a personal preference though. For me, ''Suspiria'' was too loud as it clipped in certain places, like ''Inferno''.
From a technical standpoint if you record audio and it clips during recording then the audio will clip for everyone no matter what system they play it on.

Given that others haven't complained specifically about clipping, perhaps it's your EQ settings? All audio these days is EQed so that it sounds just right if you leave all the EQ settings on your equipment to zero. Any change on your side (or in a cinema) is essentially contradicting the original audio engineer's settings.

Might be worth checking your settings and zeroing them to see how that sounds. If that then sounds flat then you might want to experiment with alternative speaker placement.
Old 17th September 2010, 06:39 AM
Cultist

Default Another excellent review from Cas Harlow at AV Forums

Inferno Blu-ray Review - AVForums.com

Another outstanding Arrow release as far as I am concerned!

OOPPS

How can I change the title please it was Chris McEneany who reviewed it!!

thexperiment podcasts

Last edited by shawnduhast; 17th September 2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 17th September 2010, 07:43 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan@Cult Labs View Post
From a technical standpoint if you record audio and it clips during recording then the audio will clip for everyone no matter what system they play it on.

Given that others haven't complained specifically about clipping, perhaps it's your EQ settings? All audio these days is EQed so that it sounds just right if you leave all the EQ settings on your equipment to zero. Any change on your side (or in a cinema) is essentially contradicting the original audio engineer's settings.

Might be worth checking your settings and zeroing them to see how that sounds. If that then sounds flat then you might want to experiment with alternative speaker placement.
Thanks for the advice. All my EQ settings are set to zero already and because of the shape of the room the system is in, the speaker placement is pretty non negotiable I'm afraid

Realistically, the problem more than likely lies with the system itself, as I've noticed similar audio clipping while watching other BRs - usually during loud, bassy sections. In other words, it's just crap. I do agree with an earlier post that the 2.0 channels always sound superior for older films because that's the way they were originally recorded though.

And to sign off, the picture quality for ''Inferno'' is bloody excellent. Overall, this release is well worth the purchase
Old 17th September 2010, 09:08 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

I think in essence this is the thing - I love to try out the 5.1 mixes on old films but unless you go wild and take it all apart and re-build it - the sound of old just can't quite cope. I've been pretty impressed with the power of the Inferno effort - it has some guts to it but I suspect this was always a weirdly mixed film because the music score has always been wildly over-powering (in my opinion anyway) but then that's one of the charms of the film and keys it in nicely with Suspiria.
Old 17th September 2010, 09:27 AM
Ex-member

Absolutely.

In retrospect, my original post is mightily unfair because when you get down to brass tacks, this release is the best ''Inferno'' has ever looked or sounded.

I'm really looking forward to ''Deep Red'' next month
Old 21st September 2010, 09:11 AM
Ex-member

Can someone please Upload all the Arrow Video release info to DVD Compare site.
Old 21st September 2010, 09:19 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entity Appliance View Post
Absolutely.

In retrospect, my original post is mightily unfair because when you get down to brass tacks, this release is the best ''Inferno'' has ever looked or sounded.

I'm really looking forward to ''Deep Red'' next month
I have to tip my hat to that comment - it's contributions like that help make this a good forum to share opinions.
Old 21st September 2010, 09:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercrack View Post
Can someone please Upload all the Arrow Video release info to DVD Compare site.
The froum is locked at the moment while they go through their backlog of old comaprisons.
Old 21st September 2010, 09:29 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
I have to tip my hat to that comment - it's contributions like that help make this a good forum to share opinions.
Old 7th April 2011, 02:05 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan@Cult Labs View Post

Just received my copy of ''Inferno'' from Blue Underground and I can now confirm that the sound on Arrow's release is simply shite

Like this? Share it using the links below!