Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2011, 04:07 AM
Cult Rookie

After some serious delays with the postal service we finally got our review copy in on Tuesday (after a month and 6 days in transit), and have a review posted.

Link: Deep Red ยป Wtf-Film.com

As I'm sure has already been mentioned, there are some issues with the transfer, including the 3-frame encoding glitch on the 126 minute version, but all in all I was quite pleased. I'm interested (as always) to see how it compares to the upcoming Blue Underground release, but the new slate of extras and excellent commentary from the 2008 AWE DVD make it well worth owning.

Kindest regards,

Kevin P.
Old 21st January 2011, 03:11 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
my subtitle problem is when using italian track. the subs come too early. So I have to watch the dub with subs off.
I was going to buy this release despite its shortcomings PQ-wise, but the reported subtitles problem really broke the deal for me. I'm sorry to say but it really seems like Arrow did slapdash work on this.

Pixelation issues, so-so PQ, out-of-sync subtitles... For a film as important as DEEP RED, I'd consider reissuing a corrected version.
Old 21st January 2011, 04:54 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Spieler View Post
I was going to buy this release despite its shortcomings PQ-wise, but the reported subtitles problem really broke the deal for me. I'm sorry to say but it really seems like Arrow did slapdash work on this.

Pixelation issues, so-so PQ, out-of-sync subtitles... For a film as important as DEEP RED, I'd consider reissuing a corrected version.
I wouldn't say it was slapdash. Yes, it could have been better though. The PQ is dividing a lot of people out there. Some think it's good and some think it looks terrible. Re-issuing a corrected version would of course be the ideal solution, with better PQ, fixed subtitles and the removal of that pixilation, but it could be really expensive. They'd have spent double the amount putting Deep Red on the shelves and the total cost would more than likely be more than they'd recoup from sales. I know they've fixed discs in the past, like Martin, but those were dvd releases and it would have been easier amd less expensive to fix those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21st January 2011, 05:05 AM
Ex-member

I don't expect them to re-do the transfer, but correcting the pixelation, or at least the subtitles issue would be a good idea. I'm certainly not going to buy a release with out-of-sync subs. It's too annoying.
Old 21st January 2011, 05:09 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I don't expect them to re-do the transfer, but correcting the pixelation, or at least the subtitles issue would be a good idea. I'm certainly not going to buy a release with out-of-sync subs. It's too annoying.
I know what you mean. I watched it with the English language so I didn't notice the issue, except at the beginning of the film when it automatically played in Italian before I switched to English.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21st January 2011, 08:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

My issue really is that I trust Arrow through and through to release the best version possible. If this is the best version possible, then so be it .. but like I have stated earlier, it's not the release I was hoping for. I won't be dipping again for another BD of this for a long long time if another version comes out in the near future. It would have to be really special for me to do so anyway.
Old 23rd January 2011, 08:46 PM
Cultist
Good Trader

My 2 cents about the transfer: I tried it on my cheap Technika and it looked very grainy but then I tried it on my Sony S370 and while not perfect it was waaaay better! There was a very marked difference.
Old 24th January 2011, 05:48 PM
Cultist

Quote:
I watched the Italian version last night and noticed no problem at all with the subs.

Twitch - We Know Stuff
Old 24th January 2011, 06:19 PM
Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
I watched the Italian version last night and noticed no problem at all with the subs.
Also just need to add on my Sony the subs seem to be fine as well! While not a complete explanation different players and firmwares seem to be producing different results!
Old 29th January 2011, 08:48 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Another review:

Deep Red Blu-ray Review : HeyUGuys – UK Movie / Film Blog

Like this? Share it using the links below!