LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2011, 05:47 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
Surprised to see the differences in the screen caps of the two editions. Didn't think they'd be so... different.
But which do you prefer?
Old 26th February 2011, 10:25 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
But which do you prefer?
Anchor Bay's, Arrow's looks to be too bright and washed out. Some caps show a bit more detail but it lacks any depth to be honest. I'm only buying the Blu-ray so it doesn't bother me too much as I know that it will look better on BD overall anyway.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 26th February 2011, 10:39 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I've not seen the film, so I'm not sure how it is supposed to look.

But overall, I'd say that there is a trade-off on the basis of the screen captures, with the Arrow edging it:

You can quite a bit more picture information in the Arrow and the detail seems to be better - for instance, you can see the pattern on the lampshade in screencap 4 in the Arrow, whereas you cannot in the AB. In the sixth screencap, you can see the left side of her face in Arrow, while the darkness shrouds it in AB - plus there seems to be a greater sense of dimension in the former. In the third screencap, there seems to be too much light on the guy's face in the AB, while with Arrow it seems more natural.

But screencap 5 - should Arrow's be that yellow? AB seems to have better colour for corpse deteriation - but bear in mind, I don't know the context of this scene. But the AB is also zoomed in in this cap, in comparison to the Arrow.

But I think what this comparison of caps illustrates better than most is that it is easier said than done to get these things right and it's all too easy to heap criticism. AB runs the risk of darkness obscuring detail; Arrow has to balance detail with colour timing. How does one come up with a PQ upon which there is unanimous agreement? Nobody can easily win and score a perfect 10.

One thing I will add - it's good to know that Arrow will be respecting Fulci's intentions by returning the opening to a golden colour; that's how it was intended and that's how it must stand.

But still, as a colour opening is being included (which is not true to the director's intention anyway), my interest is now piqued to see how the opening would be in black and white on the basis of that cap.

Last edited by Nemesis; 26th February 2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 27th February 2011, 02:24 PM
Cultist

New review: AV Maniacs » Blog Archive » Blu Ray Review: The Beyond (1981)
Old 27th February 2011, 07:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBo View Post
From the review...

"The transfer is mostly immaculate - there’s been some criticism online that it is too bright, thereby betraying some of the effects work, but for my money, previous editions were much too dark and muddy; the look of the film in this edition is more consistent with Salvati’s work on other Fulci films, truth be told, with its poppy colors and intense contrasts of darkness and light."

"The 2.35/16×9/1080p transfer is crisp and detailed, with appropriate smatterings of grain evident throughout, especially in the darker sequences."

"The print is in excellent condition, with only some minor speckling; it is also fully uncut, preserving all the gory highlights in their gruesome splendor."

"it’s interesting to see that the Italian print bears the onscreen title, ….E tu vivrai nel terrore - L’aldilÃ*, which translates as And You Will Live In Terror - The Beyond; critics have long insisted that the first portion of the title was simply an ad line, and that the Italian title was simply L’Aldila."

And now and interesting news...

"Alas, the initial review discs have a singular defect: the gorgeously sepia-tinted prologue is presented in black and white. This defect escaped Arrow’s attention until reviews started to surface on line; now that the company has been informed of this major slip-up (and the fact that it IS a slip-up is easily confirmed: director of photography Salvati has gone on record indicating that sepia was a deliberate stylistic choice), they have assured the fans that it will be corrected before the disc is released."

"Given that Arrow have decided to listen to the fans and correct the tinting of the opening scene, there’s no conceivable reason for a Fulci fanatic with blu ray capabilities to pass up this release."

A/V Maniacs review states that "they have assured the fans that it will be corrected before the disc is released" and "given that Arrow have decided to listen to the fans and correct the tinting of the opening scene".

So it´s official to assume that there´s an official word on the subject and that the color tinting will be sepia?
Old 27th February 2011, 08:06 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
So it´s official to assume that there´s an official word on the subject and that the color tinting will be sepia?
Well Arrow did say in their statement that they would ensure that the correct colour would be presented on the final product. I took that to mean sepia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27th February 2011, 09:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Well Arrow did say in their statement that they would ensure that the correct colour would be presented on the final product. I took that to mean sepia.
Old 27th February 2011, 11:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

nice news!

I will be getting this if I have a spare voucher

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 28th February 2011, 07:55 PM
Cult Rookie

My review of the Blu-ray: The Beyond » Wtf-Film.com

I was pretty disappointed with the transfer and encode this go around - the edge enhancement was distracting and the encoding was just plain bad. The black and white pre-credits didn't bother me at all, funnily enough, though as I understand it that's supposed to be remedied before the release date.

No complaints about the extras - thought they were great.

PHENOMENA Blu-ray came in at the same time, and my opinions of its feature presentation are the exact opposite of the above - I think it looks and sounds amaaaaazing. I'll have a review of it posted in the next day or so.

Kindest regards,

Kevin P.

Last edited by wtfFILM; 28th February 2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: removed superfluous repeat of my site name
Old 28th February 2011, 08:16 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Unfortunately Arrow has crammed The Beyond onto a meager single-layer BD25
Any chance this could just be for the test discs?

Like this? Share it using the links below!