Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th February 2011, 11:52 PM
Cultist

hmm. I sure hope the final product will much higher bitrate than that + on a 50GB disc. It does deserve that. I`m looking at the cancel button!

Last edited by LoBo; 1st March 2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 1st March 2011, 12:48 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Well if it wasn't planned to be a BD50, if it's going to have to be re-encoded to fix the B & W then here's a definite chance to rectify it. I think it's something else that Arrow should heed from the feedback if there are encoding issues.
Old 1st March 2011, 01:07 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

No offence to anyone, but this is only one review. People have mentiomed the other reviews (which have said the film looks good) and said they were pleased, we get a review where the reviewer says there are problems, and the same people are now disappointed? That's why I mostly never rely on reviews. What looks good to one person, looks bad to another, and vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1st March 2011, 02:16 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
No offence to anyone, but this is only one review. People have mentiomed the other reviews (which have said the film looks good) and said they were pleased, we get a review where the reviewer says there are problems, and the same people are now disappointed? That's why I mostly never rely on reviews. What looks good to one person, looks bad to another, and vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nonetheless, some people do rely on reviews. My order is still in but reviews are there for the purpose of helping people make a decision, otherwise what would be the point in sending out discs? So far there are only three reviews linked. Two good, one bad. I'll see it for my own eyes but all I'm saying is if there are encoding issues, Arrow should really try to improve upon it as it's in their best interests too. The internet thrives on hearsay so word spreads quickly.
Old 1st March 2011, 02:51 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
So far there are only three reviews linked. Two good, one bad.
Regarding video quality, all three reviews have mentioned issues:

Rock! Shock! Pop! first brought the black and white intro to our attention.

DVDBeaver said that the print "seems a bit too bright in places, washing out Salvati's lighting and the textures and colors of De Rossi's prosthetic make-up". They are "waiting to see Arrow revisions" before making a final verdict. And they only looked at the DVD, so can't comment on the bitrate or encoding of the Blu-Ray.

wtfFILM observed that the review disc they were sent was a BD25, and that the movie is encoded at a very low bitrate resulting in compression problems.

So three for three the reviews have raised concerns about the video. Of course it's not a done deal, and all three have also praised the detail and increased picture information, so it's not all bad. But for such a highly anticipated release, it is a bit troubling.
Old 1st March 2011, 06:20 AM
Cultist in Training

A 25GB disc..? "Vamp" got a better deal than "The Beyond"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBo View Post
I`m looking at the cancel button!
Sorry to say it, but so am I. I will wait and see what the final product looks like though.
Old 1st March 2011, 06:42 AM
Seasoned Cultist

12.3? Uh oh. That's BLACK CHRISTMAS territory, ain't it? I really want this to be a good release, but I'm getting concerned.
Old 1st March 2011, 11:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Well of course I will be waiting for reviews of the final disc before I buy this but these issues do raise a concern. No one has said they wont be buying it now that they read these reviews, we are just concerned

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 1st March 2011, 05:30 PM
Ex-member

I'm waiting on this one too.

I really think Arrow should start choosing specific super fans of each film from this forum to receive test discs so we don't have to rely on outside reviews. We can do it all internally and get anything corrected before the street date.
Old 1st March 2011, 07:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
That's why I mostly never rely on reviews. What looks good to one person, looks bad to another, and vice versa.
Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
Nonetheless, some people do rely on reviews. My order is still in but reviews are there for the purpose of helping people make a decision, otherwise what would be the point in sending out discs?

Like this? Share it using the links below!