All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd February 2011, 07:37 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
I'd say it was definately shot in colour.
I'm with you on that one, there's no doubt about it. But the fact of the matter is that it was intentionally changed to sepia, not Black and White.
Old 22nd February 2011, 08:01 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi View Post
I'm with you on that one, there's no doubt about it. But the fact of the matter is that it was intentionally changed to sepia, not Black and White.
100% agree.

- Originally shot in colour
- Colour "adjusted" (if that is the correct word) to sepiatone to suit the atmospheric requirements of Fulci's vision

Is there anybody who can point to any release of this film anywhere in the world on any format since its original release with the pre title sequence in black and white? I'm talking tape, film, laser or DVD.
Old 22nd February 2011, 08:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandya View Post
Is there anybody who can point to any release of this film anywhere in the world on any format since its original release with the pre title sequence in black and white? I'm talking tape, film, laser or DVD.
The Arrow review test disc...

I´d buy one of those test discs just for the sake of them being unique.
Old 23rd February 2011, 04:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

glad to see Arrow are investigating this

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 23rd February 2011, 07:53 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post

You could always watch the pre title sequence with the colour turned down on the official Blu Ray instead.....
Old 23rd February 2011, 08:26 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post

Unlike those misprinted 20p, I doubt these are going to be selling for thousands...
Old 23rd February 2011, 09:31 PM
Active Cultist

If arrow has already had the discs with the b&w part pressed do youvthibk they would add it in the release as a added bonus? it would be a shame to waste these discs
Old 25th February 2011, 05:18 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doris Karloff View Post
Is this still going to make the intended street date with the extra work that needs to be done?
Anyone? Please?
Old 25th February 2011, 07:06 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandya View Post
(...)Is there anybody who can point to any release of this film anywhere in the world on any format since its original release with the pre title sequence in black and white? I'm talking tape, film, laser or DVD.
Yes, there actually was a VHS tape from Vipco in the 90's. There are like 4 different colour versions of that sequence, a few examples...

- Full Colour: German theatrical and 80's to mid-90's VHS releases
- Sepia: Dutch VHS release, US-DVDs (Grindhouse/AB) and releases based on their Master
- Yellow: Italian and Scandinavian DVD releases (both rather "dirty yellow" looking picture, not really the wanted "golden" look)
- B&W: the mentioned Vipco VHS release

So, *if* that test-disc had the pre title sequence in B&W, it would not be the first time a UK company tried that.

I would of course also prefer the original "golden" look (but a nicer, cleaner Yellow than on the Italian and AWE DVDs).

Also what somehow ruined the previous DVD releases in most (if not all) other countries, was the cropped picture. The sides often didn't contain the complete picture information, and especially a *lot* was cropped from the bottom of the picture. I have my hopes for a much more complete picture and framing on the Arrow release.

A few European DVDs I checked also were missing the very first seconds from the beginning, talking about the "HOTEL" sign first shot. It's no big deal, but complete is better.

Any chance that Arrow & Co. come up with some previously totally-unknown and/or Deleted Scenes, that someone has found at his houses attic?
Old 25th February 2011, 07:34 PM
Cult Rookie

I hope the issue with the film's overall brightness level will be sorted now.

It's just as essential to the viewing experience as the yellowed intro, given that it affects approx. 90% of the running time...

You know I'll pick up this release anyhoo

Like this? Share it using the links below!