Like Tree40Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2011, 06:25 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatOfTheDead View Post
ok its not a problem if it is but i was just wondering
I would just order it now and request the replacement off arrow. at least you have all the extras to be watching while you wait. prob be quicker too
Old 11th April 2011, 07:13 PM
Cultist in Training

- in the meantime, we already HAVE the film and can watch it over and over again.

I can only watch a movie about once in a year so I'm holding off on watching the defective BD even though it's killing me.

If I do watch it I won't enjoy the corrected BD as much.

Any news on a release date?
Old 11th April 2011, 07:19 PM
Cultist in Training

I sent my e-mail about being sent the replacement disc late last night. Got a response from a "alex" at Arrow soon after saying he'd be out of his office until Friday the 15th of April. Can anyone offer insight into this?
Old 11th April 2011, 10:28 PM
Cult Rookie

Its awesome that Arrow are gonna send replacements. Thats why I continue to buy their releases.
Old 11th April 2011, 10:34 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Finally, I had the time to watch the whole movie „The Beyond“ on Blu-ray and want to share my opinion with the interested public – so if anybody is just concerned about getting information on colour issues or dispatch dates for the replacement discs, just skip it, as my little text is touching that subject just once; and that is the reason why I post in in this part of the forum.

Well, at the beginning I have to admit that this was my first experience of watching “The Beyond” – although it was not my first Fulci. I’ve seen “The House by the Cemetery” and “City of the Living Dead”, and after having enjoyed these three movies, I’m quite sure about some aspects that create the special experience of watching a Fulci movie. In my opinion, it’s basically two things. First, you get gore, and you get plenty of it; killing scenes and horror scenes are what they should be in a literal sense; in my eyes, that’s the basic idea of HORROR movies. But – and that is a big “but” – you also get great atmosphere and spooky scenes. So one might say now – alright, I know some directors who do it like that. And I would agree. But – and that’s again an important “but” – in my opinion the mixture of those two things is as perfectly balanced as possible in Fulci’s flicks. Not too much splatter, but enough to make you enjoy it. The contrast between the spooky scenes and the real horror scenes is amazingly well done. Feel free to answer to my little comment on Fulci’s style – but please do it via PM or on my message board, as otherwise this thread would become a little off-topic.

Why I put it here has a certain reason. Concerning the seven minutes of introduction I’d like to say that it is – in my eyes – of no big importance whether this scene is presented in sepia or in b/w. As the whole first minutes take part in an earlier time than the rest of the movie, it is only important that it is NOT in colour; it’s some kind of distinction. That’s just my opinion – again any comments are welcome. However, I’m looking forward to the corrected Blu-ray – also in terms of picture quality, as I’m interested in possible quality upgrades due to the usage of BD-50. I think that the transfer is quite alright as it is – the heavy grain in some short scenes is something that I already know from COTLD and I guess that most of it comes from the original master. So basically I’m happy with the picture – nothing that would scare me. However, what I really want to point out is the sound of the Blu-ray. The English DTS-HD soundtrack, I think, is just awesome. Very good dynamics, great voices, good effects – just awesome, as I said.

Well, that has become some sort of little review and I hope that nobody takes offence in putting it into this forum – I think that it is not totally wrong here, as the colour- and quality-issue is mentioned.

Yes, I forgot: I love Arrow for chosing my favourite traditional artwork as one side of the two-folded poster – it was the same with Bava’s “Bay of Blood”.

Greetings!
Old 12th April 2011, 09:54 AM
Cult Rookie

We're not going to see these discs before May/June are we? I'm a little annoyed, I only bought this in the first place as I was under the impression that only a small number of discs were affected, so I thought I'd chance it. If I'd realised it was the whole batch, I wouldnt have bothered and would have waited.

I can't work out why Arrow are still selling this? Isn't that just going to make the whole send out thing more complex and expensive?
Old 12th April 2011, 11:46 AM
Active Cultist

the first time i saw the beyond the beginning was in color, and after that when i got the version with the golden yellow intro i never liked it as much. i think a branching option allowing you to choose between the color and the yellow would be ideal, although i know we won't be getting that. still at least there is an option to see the color version of the intro.
also, i think the impression was given that only some copies were the botched discs, but it has become clear that it's every single one, so i think that was a bit misleading.
i bought my beyond bluray in good faith for 25 quid from hmv expecting a quick and easy replacement, that was a month ago and i still haven't watched the disc as frankly i dont want my enjoyment of the film to be hampered by the incorrect opening, lower bitrate and sound issues, all of which i hope will be corrected on the replacement discs.
and i can't wait! seems like such a great package and it's taking all my willpower not to just watch it all, but no, must be strong! i'll wait for the final completed disc then have a beyond blowout
antmumford likes this.
Old 12th April 2011, 02:05 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Update from Arrow!

Replacement DVDs are ready now and BDs should be ready later in the week so, hopefully, by the middle of next week, all replacement discs should be either on their way to you, being lovingly gazed at by you or in your Blu-ray/DVD player for your viewing (and aural) pleasure.
Old 12th April 2011, 02:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I don't understand why people are so upset about waiting for replacement discs, especially those that say, "I thought I'd take a punt and buy this in the hope that I got the proper golden intro, if I'd have known I'd get a B/W intro I'd have waited!".

So you could have held off buying it until the corrected discs were available, but you can't hold off (with your inferior disc) until the new discs are available? A wait's a wait, you'd have been waiting the same amount of time either way.

Last edited by trench; 12th April 2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12th April 2011, 02:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

good news Nos.
Look forward to getting my copy.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!