Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   The Beyond – The Official Returns Policy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/4899-beyond-%E2%80%93-official-returns-policy.html)

Almar@Cult Labs 5th August 2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 171858)
We were all nice and cozy, weren't we? And besides, there's been so much rage here already - we thought it was time time for some loosening up. :lol:

Slightly off-topic, sorry. ;)

Greetings!

cozy is good...

shawnduhast 5th August 2011 03:06 PM

I remember when Almar said that only "a few B&W copies" had got into the retail distribution system. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not know anyone who has managed to purchase a corrected copy from a shop or online retailer?

So now the distributor Arrow have run out of remastered ones?

How? Was there so few of the remastered ones made that there was not even enough pressed to cover "the few B&W copies" that got into the retail system?

When you have got such good press by offering a replacement program they have now turned this into a complete own goal by ending it knowing that there are lots of faulty product still in the retail system. If they are really supplying retail with remastered product why have they run out? Why are retail not selling any of the remastered discs?

I really wish Arrow after the first pressing errors came to light had just taken their time and re-done it properly even if it took a few months. Instead of rushing out a replacement disc with only the B&W intro and the compression fixed - why not do all the others errors listed on this site as well at the same time? Surely that is the whole point of this site?

Shame I really hope this very well publicised (and now ongoing) fiasco has not damaged Arrow too much as generally the product is excellent on films that would otherwise not be released at all let alone in these lovely special editions.

Sarah@Cult Labs 5th August 2011 03:08 PM

Just a quick note: Cult Labs is not the distributor. The distributor is Arrow Video.

We offer a forum for members to communicate with Arrow, we don't have anything to do with the production or distribution of the discs and the replacement scheme was with Arrow, not Cult Labs. - Just noticed you've amended this, shawn! Thanks!

As I mentioned a few posts back, Nos and I have made Arrow aware of everyone's comments and suggestions and I'll come back to you with a response as soon as it's possible. Until then I really appreciate everyone's patience.

shawnduhast 5th August 2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 171862)
Just a quick note: Cult Labs is not the distributor. The distributor is Arrow Video.

We offer a forum for members to communicate with Arrow, we don't have anything to do with the production or distribution of the discs and the replacement scheme was with Arrow, not Cult Labs. - Just noticed you've amended this, shawn! Thanks!

As I mentioned a few posts back, Nos and I have made Arrow aware of everyone's comments and suggestions and I'll come back to you with a response as soon as it's possible. Until then I really appreciate everyone's patience.

Quite correct and thank you for reminding us :-)

Thank you for passing on our comments.

It is just we have all waited so long for this film to be released at all on HD and now to be so close but so far is frustrating to say the least.

I wish Arrow well in sorting this.

z0mbi3v1ru5 5th August 2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnduhast (Post 171861)
I remember when Almar said that only "a few B&W copies" had got into the retail distribution system. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not know anyone who has managed to purchase a corrected copy from a shop or online retailer?

So now the distributor Arrow have run out of remastered ones?

How? Was there so few of the remastered ones made that there was not even enough pressed to cover "the few B&W copies" that got into the retail system?

When you have got such good press by offering a replacement program they have now turned this into a complete own goal by ending it knowing that there are lots of faulty product still in the retail system. If they are really supplying retail with remastered product why have they run out? Why are retail not selling any of the remastered discs?

I really wish Arrow after the first pressing errors came to light had just taken their time and re-done it properly even if it took a few months. Instead of rushing out a replacement disc with only the B&W intro and the compression fixed - why not do all the others errors listed on this site as well at the same time? Surely that is the whole point of this site?

Shame I really hope this very well publicised (and now ongoing) fiasco has not damaged Arrow too much as generally the product is excellent on films that would otherwise not be released at all let alone in these lovely special editions.

Excellent post..

I had thought the same, but figured I'd get flamed for bringing it up. Everything else I say has that reaction.

I too hope Arrow rebounds from this. They are a cult film fans dream often, with all the collectability their films hold. ( For me anyways ) I love all the art options, and extras.

But The Beyond has turned into a nightmare. I can't imagine anyone ever ordering the beyond, knowing the situation at hand.. I can only pity those who don't know.

Arrows replacement program was very respectable, a company righting their wrongs. But.. like you, I don't understand how "only a few incorrect copies" got out.. I don't know anyone who ever got a proper copy from ordering from anywhere. Maybe someone can correct us on that.

Almar@Cult Labs 5th August 2011 03:37 PM

I may well have said something about a few copies - I don't know and god knows where in a thread that would be but I think we did establish a good while back - and quite clearly that it was a case that to replace discs, correct ones had to be manufactured and that was in the weeks after the original release - therefore all discs in the system would have the B&W opening.

I only say this so it's clear and people know the original run was with the B&W opening and that was that. The replacement discs took weeks to make because the master from the licensor (supplied in B&W) had to be corrected, then authored, then manufactured.

z0mbi3v1ru5 5th August 2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 171871)
I may well have said something about a few copies - I don't know and god knows where in a thread that would be but I think we did establish a good while back - and quite clearly that it was a case that to replace discs, correct ones had to be manufactured and that was in the weeks after the original release - therefore all discs in the system would have the B&W opening.

I only say this so it's clear and people know the original run was with the B&W opening and that was that. The replacement discs took weeks to make because the master from the licensor (supplied in B&W) had to be corrected, then authored, then manufactured.

Well, thank you for clearing it up.

Again. :)

platostotal 5th August 2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 171871)

I said almost spookily the same thing earlier(that numbers indicate the entire first run were B/W), now that it's clear I have a wee bit more sympathy with Arrow. Now to be constructive: what about for those stuck with B/W copies(they could be in situ for many more months yet and no guarantee retailers will exchange ) if they send in the disc Arrow will supply a corrected disc and a complimentary DVD from a pre-selected range for £5(inc p&p) single disc editions of course, that way the punter actually is better off(half price or better for a Arrow DVD) and gets the right disc. Arrow don't lose that much and everybody smiles, consumers are always better when happy:)

bgart13 5th August 2011 06:45 PM

The b&w packages should've been recalled, especially if the corrected discs were going to be limited. It's a shame Arrow is now telling folks "too bad!" when they ask to replace an inferior product. Rights owner's fault or not, this initial version should never have been pressed in the first place. This isn't an attack, but a fact.

platostotal 5th August 2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 171908)
The b&w packages should've been recalled, especially if the corrected discs were going to be limited. It's a shame Arrow is now telling folks "too bad!" when they ask to replace an inferior product. Rights owner's fault or not, this initial version should never have been pressed in the first place. This isn't an attack, but a fact.

Myself and others have said pretty much the same thing, have a feeling when the smoke settles and finances are sorted Arrow will come up with something.

greg_,monster17 5th August 2011 08:09 PM

I'm still kinda annoyed and after putting up my first message on this its clear that I am one of still many suffering from the actions of arrow, hopefully they do resolve something at some stage I will hold out for a while before being silly and getting too pissed off

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th August 2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 171908)

It is an industry fact that product recalls are only initiated if the product is dangerous or potentially helpful, such as a car where the brakes don't work, not BDs with substandard picture quality.

It's a real shame for those of you with an incorrect disc, but that's how these things work.

bgart13 5th August 2011 09:07 PM

Well, call it what you want. Recalled, defective, whatever. It still should never have been passed thru to the manufacturing stage. Luckily I have the correct disc, but it's ridiculous that there aren't enough to go around to replace the defectively made discs.

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th August 2011 09:44 PM

I know I'm going to get a heap of shit for this (pardon my French), but at the end of the day, we're only talking about dvds and BD's here people. You're not going to be able to take them with us when we go. There are more important things out there to concern ourselves with!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the blob 5th August 2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 171947)
I know I'm going to get a heap of shit for this (pardon my French), but at the end of the day, we're only talking about dvds and BD's here people. You're not going to be able to take them with us when we go. There are more important things out there to concern ourselves with!

---

That's true to an extent but we're also talking about people's hard earned money and getting the correct product that was paid for. If we were just talking about DVD's and BD's then Arrow surely would do it just as a hobby and sell everything to just break even without any concern for making any profit from the business.

Pete 5th August 2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

---

That's what I always think when I see all these self appointed blu-ray 'experts', who spend a worrying amount of time trying to pick up on any flaws they can find and going ape, demanding those who released it be burned at the stake or whatever. No-one forced them to buy it. :censored:

I do understand the frustration over THE BEYOND though, and I'd be a bit pissed if I didn't have my replacement.

Prince_Vajda 5th August 2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

---

Blob and Pete are quite right - but Stephen hit the nail on the head. Arrow know it's an unpleasant situation. All kinds of complaints have been made. Everything's been said. So it would be best to shut the :censored: up till next week when Arrow will tell us their final decision. I am not totally happy with this situation either (as I love this company's releases), but we all should harness ourselves and wait till next week. Just my two cents.

Greetings!

bgart13 6th August 2011 12:11 AM

If they're just dvds, blu-rays, movies, etc, (which they are), then why even bother to include multiple artworks, booklets and a bunch of extras? That's not a very good nor fair argument for excusing Arrow's blunder on THE BEYOND. It also doesn't speak highly of the fans nor the filmmakers. If they are just dvds, etc, then it wouldn't have been a big deal to destroy the bad BEYOND batch and replace them all. C'mon, guys...

Daemonia 6th August 2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 171855)
Maybe. :p Judging from our shared forum history, Daemonia and me should be found in any encyclopedia - just search for the keyword "antagonism". ;):lol:

:tea:

Greetings!

Oh Prince, you know I love you really. ;)

It's a fine line between love and hate. :lol:

Daemonia 6th August 2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 171924)
It is an industry fact that product recalls are only initiated if the product is dangerous or potentially helpful, such as a car where the brakes don't work, not BDs with substandard picture quality.

It's a real shame for those of you with an incorrect disc, but that's how these things work.

I'm sorry, Nos - but that's a bit of a cavalier attitude to take. Basically saying you're saddled with the product you buy. In this case, we KNOW that incorrect discs were pressed. Arrow have admitted that, but to equate dissatisfied customers with those that are protesting against an unsafe product is a bit silly, if not a little insulting. No, the product is not unsafe, so give us an argument that we can use against the retailers for getting a 'proper' product.

I'm sorry, but I took that as a F*ck off from Arrow, who can't be bothered to deal with this issue. In that case, neither can I be bothered to buy this title.

Daemonia 6th August 2011 02:30 AM

Quote:

---

Yes, but if you're in a position, like me, where you can only buy one or two DVDs/BDs a month, then yes, it's a big deal. If 50% of that month's investment is spent on a faulty product, then it's a VERY big deal.

Besides a Cult Labs rep telling us not to worry isn't really a reason NOT to worry....

:lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th August 2011 08:11 AM

I'm not telling anyone not to worry. I'm only stating my personal opinion. Up until recently, I wouldn't buy a UK dvd or BD if it had an Irish cert on the cover, now I think, who cares? It's only a dvd. If I came home ine day and my house had been robbed and my whole collection was gone, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Not looking to start any arguments guys, so I do apologize for my slight hijacking of the thread. :cool:

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.613717,-4.664145

Baseball Fury 6th August 2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 171986)
I'm not telling anyone not to worry. I'm only stating my personal opinion. Up until recently, I wouldn't buy a UK dvd or BD if it had an Irish cert on the cover, now I think, who cares? It's only a dvd. If I came home ine day and my house had been robbed and my whole collection was gone, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Not looking to start any arguments guys, so I do apologize for my slight hijacking of the thread. :cool:

---
I am here: Google Maps

As someone that this has actually happened to, then I'm pretty sure you would, because I certainly did!

Baseball Fury 6th August 2011 08:29 AM

Also, people are getting a bit wild in this thread. I think everybody needs to calm down a little bit. I'm not going to "it'll all be alright in the end" because we don't know, and I'm not going to tell people to "shut the **** up" because I'm not that much of a dick, but it's just become the same comments over and over again, with people just getting more and more wound up!

Let's all take 5 and just come back when there's actually something new to talk about?

Sarah@Cult Labs 6th August 2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 171989)
Also, people are getting a bit wild in this thread. I think everybody needs to calm down a little bit. I'm not going to "it'll all be alright in the end" because we don't know, and I'm not going to tell people to "shut the **** up" because I'm not that much of a dick, but it's just become the same comments over and over again, with people just getting more and more wound up!

Let's all take 5 and just come back when there's actually something new to talk about?

Well said.

Sent from my HTC Tattoo using Tapatalk

Prince_Vajda 6th August 2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 171989)

Repeating what I've already stated in my last post and (indirectly) calling me a dick - sorry, that's not "well said", at least from my point of view. But I really don't want to go into that any further. :rolleyes:

Greetings!

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th August 2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 171988)
As someone that this has actually happened to, then I'm pretty sure you would, because I certainly did!

Believe me, I wouldn't.

---

Pete 6th August 2011 09:00 AM

My house got burgled when I was little and, aside form taking the usual items like money, jewellery etc, the bastards also took my Lego!:chainsaw:

Baseball Fury 6th August 2011 09:19 AM

Maybe they needed to build themselves a bigger van?

Sarah@Cult Labs 6th August 2011 10:00 AM

Look everyone, I think the best thing to do is to leave this thread until there's something further from Arrow which, as I've said, should be early next week.

As people have said, everyone is now just posting the same comments over and over and it's not constructive or helpful - all it does is serve to get everyone even more wound up. I appreciate that some of you are unhappy and even angry but you've made your point and it's been passed the relevant people and now we just have to wait until we hear from Arrow. I know some of you are impatient but it's the weekend and there's going to be no response now until Monday at the earliest so why get yourselves more wound up by posting in this thread and going over the same things again and again?

Enjoy your weekend (unless, like me, you're trying to write around 4,000-5,000 words of your thesis, in which case, I feel for you) and look out for more info here come next week.

:)

platostotal 6th August 2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 171992)
Believe me, I wouldn't.

---

Post again when/if that happens, hope you're joking tho, if I caught some muppet making off from my home with my stuff...I would end up on a charge no doubt. If there is something going on that we aren't privy to 'Stephen' then all good luck with it. But please don't make light of an upsetting event in anyone's life. Sorry but felt I had to post after reading what was said.

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th August 2011 10:44 AM

1st of all, I didn't make light of anything. 2nd, yes, something is going on that makes me say It wouldn't bother me if I didn't have my collection (they're only material posessions as far as I'm concerned), and 3rd, my name actually IS stephen. That's all I have to say on the subject of my post. Not trying to attack anyone for being concerned about not getting the correct discs. It's just the way I feel. But as Sarah said, perhaps we should all take q step back until we hear back from Arrow.

---

platostotal 6th August 2011 11:05 AM

Whatever it is Stephen that you are dealing with my thoughts of good luck were genuine, in fact pretty much all of us here would wish you and those around you well. Was 99% sure you were named Stephen, I tend to do that with all user names, no offence meant. Again all the best.

Prince_Vajda 6th August 2011 12:01 PM

:behindsofa::closed:

:peace::amen:

Greetings!

Daemonia 6th August 2011 04:21 PM

Ha! I'm not letting you have the last word, Prince. So it's not closed at all. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th August 2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 172093)
Ha! I'm not letting you have the last word, Prince. So it's not closed at all. ;)

Thank goodness for that. :happy:

Doris Karloff 7th August 2011 06:30 AM

One question - are there actually any of the corrected discs out there in the shops?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th August 2011 06:40 AM

Read through the thread mate.

To avoid any more boxing,the thread is now closed until Sarah has heard from the only people who can resolve it.

:closed::closed::closed:
UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!

Sarah@Cult Labs 9th August 2011 10:17 AM

This thread will now remain closed.

We have opened a new thread in Arrow FAQ to discuss The Beyond replacement programme and other Arrow titles, all of which have been affected by the London riots.