Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree40Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2011, 07:17 AM
Cult Rookie

Got my replacement disk on the 17th thanks ;-)
Old 19th April 2011, 08:23 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
Now, I hope there's no truth whatsoever to the rumours that are starting to crop up on other sites that this fixed disc is, in fact, the same disc as before but with an added red tinge to the B&W opening?
Possum on a gum-bush, are we back to that again?
I ask myself what this adds to the discussion. If one has to post such things than it would be very gentle to add the source of knowledge - i.e. the place where one can read that unbelievable insinuation. "On other sites" just ain't enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
I'll reserve judgement until I see it, but if it is, then people will not be happy.
Well, one could say that's contradicted by posting such utter nonsense - as long as one has no disc in front of him or her it would be preferable to hold his or her tongue.

No offense - but I really ask myself if some (luckily it's very few) people here ever added anything to any discussion.

Greetings!
Old 19th April 2011, 09:52 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Just so that there is no confusion and to continue this very transparent process of how this release of The Beyond has worked I asked Fran for the lowdown on the opening sequence and how it was corrected:

"The HD master we have is in black and white, in order for the colour to truly reflect the original colour scheme means going back to the negative and doing a scan and colour grading with the original DoP and then digitising that scan in an HD master and then authoring the disc from that master. We can only use the supplied material – an HD master, if we were to do a restoration from other film elements, such as a 35mm print the quality would never be good as original film elements – i.e. the negative or a positive. A 35mm print may also have missing frames and damage far worse to what condition the negative is in. We cannot access the negative as we do not have the original licensor’s permission to do this.

We were officially told by the licensor that the negative is in black and white but I am not sure I believe that given that the DoP has said that it was shot in colour and then graded to look like an old photo so what we had to do was try our very best to replicate Sergio Salvati’s intentions."

This release has certainly proved to be very tricky but people can from all the information over the past few months make a clear choice as to whether it is for them but one thing that is a constant issue with older films is what materials are supplied and what can be done with them and the best possible efforts have been made.
Old 19th April 2011, 10:01 AM
Cultist

I got my replacement Blu Today!
Old 19th April 2011, 10:02 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatOfTheDead View Post
I got my replacement Blu Today!
I hope you like it!
Old 19th April 2011, 10:08 AM
Cultist

just about to sit and watch it
Old 19th April 2011, 10:09 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
just about to sit and watch it
Hmmm.... will I be able to hear your screams from the Midlands? Maybe not so best report back...
Old 19th April 2011, 10:17 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Hmmm.... will I be able to hear your screams from the Midlands? Maybe not so best report back...
In Walsall No One Can Hear You Scream
Old 19th April 2011, 10:19 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
In Walsall No One Can Hear You Scream
One day that'll be a film...
Old 19th April 2011, 11:20 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Just so that there is no confusion and to continue this very transparent process of how this release of The Beyond has worked I asked Fran for the lowdown on the opening sequence and how it was corrected:

"The HD master we have is in black and white, in order for the colour to truly reflect the original colour scheme means going back to the negative and doing a scan and colour grading with the original DoP and then digitising that scan in an HD master and then authoring the disc from that master. We can only use the supplied material – an HD master, if we were to do a restoration from other film elements, such as a 35mm print the quality would never be good as original film elements – i.e. the negative or a positive. A 35mm print may also have missing frames and damage far worse to what condition the negative is in. We cannot access the negative as we do not have the original licensor’s permission to do this.

We were officially told by the licensor that the negative is in black and white but I am not sure I believe that given that the DoP has said that it was shot in colour and then graded to look like an old photo so what we had to do was try our very best to replicate Sergio Salvati’s intentions."

This release has certainly proved to be very tricky but people can from all the information over the past few months make a clear choice as to whether it is for them but one thing that is a constant issue with older films is what materials are supplied and what can be done with them and the best possible efforts have been made.
My interpretation of that would be that Arrow have been working hard to give us the best edition possible. I personally do not care that much about how the opening scene was produced; whether it was shot in colour and transformed into a sepia-like look or if it was a b/w-original turned into that old-photo-like version - as long as it looks as close to the original cinematic edition as possible I won't raise my voice.

Quote:
One day that'll be a film...
Yeah, really sounds like a great title for some psycho-terror flick.

Greetings!
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!