Like Tree40Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2011, 02:52 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
We were all nice and cozy, weren't we? And besides, there's been so much rage here already - we thought it was time time for some loosening up.

Slightly off-topic, sorry.

Greetings!
cozy is good...
Old 5th August 2011, 03:06 PM
Cultist

I remember when Almar said that only "a few B&W copies" had got into the retail distribution system. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not know anyone who has managed to purchase a corrected copy from a shop or online retailer?

So now the distributor Arrow have run out of remastered ones?

How? Was there so few of the remastered ones made that there was not even enough pressed to cover "the few B&W copies" that got into the retail system?

When you have got such good press by offering a replacement program they have now turned this into a complete own goal by ending it knowing that there are lots of faulty product still in the retail system. If they are really supplying retail with remastered product why have they run out? Why are retail not selling any of the remastered discs?

I really wish Arrow after the first pressing errors came to light had just taken their time and re-done it properly even if it took a few months. Instead of rushing out a replacement disc with only the B&W intro and the compression fixed - why not do all the others errors listed on this site as well at the same time? Surely that is the whole point of this site?

Shame I really hope this very well publicised (and now ongoing) fiasco has not damaged Arrow too much as generally the product is excellent on films that would otherwise not be released at all let alone in these lovely special editions.

thexperiment podcasts

Last edited by shawnduhast; 5th August 2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Changed Cult Labs to Arrow re Sarah's Correction Thanks!
Old 5th August 2011, 03:08 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Just a quick note: Cult Labs is not the distributor. The distributor is Arrow Video.

We offer a forum for members to communicate with Arrow, we don't have anything to do with the production or distribution of the discs and the replacement scheme was with Arrow, not Cult Labs. - Just noticed you've amended this, shawn! Thanks!

As I mentioned a few posts back, Nos and I have made Arrow aware of everyone's comments and suggestions and I'll come back to you with a response as soon as it's possible. Until then I really appreciate everyone's patience.
Old 5th August 2011, 03:21 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Just a quick note: Cult Labs is not the distributor. The distributor is Arrow Video.

We offer a forum for members to communicate with Arrow, we don't have anything to do with the production or distribution of the discs and the replacement scheme was with Arrow, not Cult Labs. - Just noticed you've amended this, shawn! Thanks!

As I mentioned a few posts back, Nos and I have made Arrow aware of everyone's comments and suggestions and I'll come back to you with a response as soon as it's possible. Until then I really appreciate everyone's patience.
Quite correct and thank you for reminding us :-)

Thank you for passing on our comments.

It is just we have all waited so long for this film to be released at all on HD and now to be so close but so far is frustrating to say the least.

I wish Arrow well in sorting this.

thexperiment podcasts
Old 5th August 2011, 03:32 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnduhast View Post
I remember when Almar said that only "a few B&W copies" had got into the retail distribution system. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not know anyone who has managed to purchase a corrected copy from a shop or online retailer?

So now the distributor Arrow have run out of remastered ones?

How? Was there so few of the remastered ones made that there was not even enough pressed to cover "the few B&W copies" that got into the retail system?

When you have got such good press by offering a replacement program they have now turned this into a complete own goal by ending it knowing that there are lots of faulty product still in the retail system. If they are really supplying retail with remastered product why have they run out? Why are retail not selling any of the remastered discs?

I really wish Arrow after the first pressing errors came to light had just taken their time and re-done it properly even if it took a few months. Instead of rushing out a replacement disc with only the B&W intro and the compression fixed - why not do all the others errors listed on this site as well at the same time? Surely that is the whole point of this site?

Shame I really hope this very well publicised (and now ongoing) fiasco has not damaged Arrow too much as generally the product is excellent on films that would otherwise not be released at all let alone in these lovely special editions.
Excellent post..

I had thought the same, but figured I'd get flamed for bringing it up. Everything else I say has that reaction.

I too hope Arrow rebounds from this. They are a cult film fans dream often, with all the collectability their films hold. ( For me anyways ) I love all the art options, and extras.

But The Beyond has turned into a nightmare. I can't imagine anyone ever ordering the beyond, knowing the situation at hand.. I can only pity those who don't know.

Arrows replacement program was very respectable, a company righting their wrongs. But.. like you, I don't understand how "only a few incorrect copies" got out.. I don't know anyone who ever got a proper copy from ordering from anywhere. Maybe someone can correct us on that.
Old 5th August 2011, 03:37 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

I may well have said something about a few copies - I don't know and god knows where in a thread that would be but I think we did establish a good while back - and quite clearly that it was a case that to replace discs, correct ones had to be manufactured and that was in the weeks after the original release - therefore all discs in the system would have the B&W opening.

I only say this so it's clear and people know the original run was with the B&W opening and that was that. The replacement discs took weeks to make because the master from the licensor (supplied in B&W) had to be corrected, then authored, then manufactured.
Old 5th August 2011, 03:46 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
I may well have said something about a few copies - I don't know and god knows where in a thread that would be but I think we did establish a good while back - and quite clearly that it was a case that to replace discs, correct ones had to be manufactured and that was in the weeks after the original release - therefore all discs in the system would have the B&W opening.

I only say this so it's clear and people know the original run was with the B&W opening and that was that. The replacement discs took weeks to make because the master from the licensor (supplied in B&W) had to be corrected, then authored, then manufactured.
Well, thank you for clearing it up.

Again.
Old 5th August 2011, 05:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post

I said almost spookily the same thing earlier(that numbers indicate the entire first run were B/W), now that it's clear I have a wee bit more sympathy with Arrow. Now to be constructive: what about for those stuck with B/W copies(they could be in situ for many more months yet and no guarantee retailers will exchange ) if they send in the disc Arrow will supply a corrected disc and a complimentary DVD from a pre-selected range for £5(inc p&p) single disc editions of course, that way the punter actually is better off(half price or better for a Arrow DVD) and gets the right disc. Arrow don't lose that much and everybody smiles, consumers are always better when happy
Old 5th August 2011, 06:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The b&w packages should've been recalled, especially if the corrected discs were going to be limited. It's a shame Arrow is now telling folks "too bad!" when they ask to replace an inferior product. Rights owner's fault or not, this initial version should never have been pressed in the first place. This isn't an attack, but a fact.
Old 5th August 2011, 07:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
The b&w packages should've been recalled, especially if the corrected discs were going to be limited. It's a shame Arrow is now telling folks "too bad!" when they ask to replace an inferior product. Rights owner's fault or not, this initial version should never have been pressed in the first place. This isn't an attack, but a fact.
Myself and others have said pretty much the same thing, have a feeling when the smoke settles and finances are sorted Arrow will come up with something.

Like this? Share it using the links below!