Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2011, 01:19 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

This 2.1 reframing is baffling, to say the least. Luckily, I availed myself of a decently priced BU BD just before Christmas, when it was on offer at Axel and I paid about £8 for it, delivered. Glad I did now.

But here's a question, and it is a question as I don't know the answer; will Storaro's version simply open up the image and make it less cropped than the 2.35:1 version? That is to say, is the film indelibly printed as 2.35:1 or is it matted for theatrical exhibition? If it's the latter, then maybe the image won't be cropped so much as opened up a bit bigger. Like I say, I'm no expert, just wondering. If this is the same as the French release, do screencaps exist of that BD so that we can compare? Anyone know?
Old 30th March 2011, 01:38 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
This 2.1 reframing is baffling, to say the least. Luckily, I availed myself of a decently priced BU BD just before Christmas, when it was on offer at Axel and I paid about £8 for it, delivered. Glad I did now.

But here's a question, and it is a question as I don't know the answer; will Storaro's version simply open up the image and make it less cropped than the 2.35:1 version? That is to say, is the film indelibly printed as 2.35:1 or is it matted for theatrical exhibition? If it's the latter, then maybe the image won't be cropped so much as opened up a bit bigger. Like I say, I'm no expert, just wondering. If this is the same as the French release, do screencaps exist of that BD so that we can compare? Anyone know?
It was shot with 2 perf Techniscope so the native ratio is 2.33:1 which is then cropped to 2.35:1 (2.39:1 after 1970) for theatrical presentations.

Techniscope frame below showing the ratio...

So to make the ratio 2:1 the image has to be cropped off.
Old 30th March 2011, 01:42 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Thanks for that, Jonny. That clearly explains the process. So if Storaro frames it at 2.1 it's most certainly cropped, then.
Old 30th March 2011, 01:45 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

If you want to talk about the Blue Underground release, how it compares to the Arrow one and where you want to buy it, this is not the place. There is a new thread for that so please go to:

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/blu-...ay-debate.html
Old 30th March 2011, 02:41 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm talking about Storaro's proposed reframing for the Arrow release, not the BU release. I just mentioned the BU release as an aside. The main body of my post was regarding Storaro's 'new' version, which relates directly to Arrow's release.
Old 30th March 2011, 02:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I realise that and that post wasn't aimed at you, which is why your post is still here! My previous post was aimed at those who were just discussing the best place to buy the Blue Underground Blu-ray.

Actually, I found that diagram quite interesting and it will be well worth comparing the two releases to see how well Storaro framed the film and whether the aspect ratio change is quite as huge as some make it out to be.
Old 30th March 2011, 03:24 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

No probs, Nos.

It will certainly be interesting to see how Storaro composes the frame for 2.1. Not sure how it will look, but I'm sure reports will come filtering through nearer the release date. Still seems like madness to me that Storaro is being allowed to butcher the composition, though.
Old 30th March 2011, 03:35 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
No probs, Nos.

It will certainly be interesting to see how Storaro composes the frame for 2.1. Not sure how it will look, but I'm sure reports will come filtering through nearer the release date. Still seems like madness to me that Storaro is being allowed to butcher the composition, though.
Have a look at this, there's discussion about BIRD in there...

In The Company Of Glenn: Storaro and widescreen
Old 30th March 2011, 04:01 PM
Cultist

Sorry Nos, I'm one of the guilty ones there, objection duly noted - thanks for starting up that new thread.

I found that diagram really interesting too. Despite having worked in the film industry for 9 years now I've never actually looked into the way that the film physically works (in my defence I'm nothing to do with the camera department so it's nothing to do with my job!) That diagram really cleared things up, thanks. I've just done a bit of reading up and it's interesting stuff.

Does anyone know why Storaro is always involved in the remastering process and Argento is not involved? Is this the norm? I would have thought that unless they were specifically asked to be involved then the DOP's input would be less important than the director. Did Arrow have a choice in the matter or does buying the rights necessitate Storaro's approval? I read elsewhere that Storaro has creative control over home video transfers written into some of his contracts but with The Bird With The Crystal Plumage being shot in 1969 I don't imagine that such a clause would exist for this film. With Apocalypse Now being released in 2.35:1 for the first time recently was he overruled in this case (either by Coppola or the studio) or was he just ignored?

Trampy And The Tramp win Curry Lover(s) of the Year award at the Scottish Curry Awards 2010

www.trampyandthetramp.blogspot.com
Old 30th March 2011, 04:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'd love to be the voice of information but, quite frankly, I just don't have the answers to those queries.

In terms of Storaro's wish that the DVD be designed to fit a widescreen television, has anyone else seen that massive LCD/plasma (I forget which) that isn't your traditional widescreen, but is actually 2.35:1 so you can watch those CinemaScope and Panavision films without the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen?

Like this? Share it using the links below!