LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th March 2011, 07:03 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
I'm reluctantly fine with it as an alternate version since Arrow's hands were tied in regards to the aspect ratio and the restoration work which was done in Rome (as always). As said, they didn't have access to the 2.35:1 master that BU had so this is the only master available to them. It's either this 2:1 master or no release at all. That's how I read the situation.
That pretty much sums up the situation and I'm actually looking forward to getting this as a companion piece to the Blue Underground BD as they have different aspect ratios, artwork and extra features. Being a collector is hard on the bank balance!
Old 25th March 2011, 07:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
Ha! Storaro strikes again! Pass...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I've never really had anything negative to say about an Arrow release, but this is completely unforgivable, especially as a 2.35:1 HD master is available. I honestly don't see many people buying this now. I know that I'll not watch Storaro's "last supper" version of Bird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Think I'll pass on this. 1st time I've said that about an Arrow title.
No original framing, no sale...

I already have 2 copies of the BU underground version so as far as the movie itself I´m safe.

I´ll only buy this on DVD if the extras are anything good but I´ll wait for some reviews...

2 pre-orders cancelled... sorry for that Arrow.

Also, on the Arrow spot, it stataes "For True Connoisseurs Of Cult Cinema"
I may be wrong here but as far as the cult movie "The Bird With The Crystal Plumage" goes, a true connoisseur will want the original aspect ratio... What´s more important? The way the movie was frame intended or the "new" Univisium framing the DP invented?

Intended Vs. Invented??? Intended for me...

Last edited by springjack; 25th March 2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 25th March 2011, 07:37 PM
Cult Rookie

I've been harsh on Arrow's The Beyond release because I feel all of the flaws on that could have been avoided, but in this case it seems as though Storaro has their hands tied.

Regardless of the spot it seems he has them in a hard place that can't be changed. Can't really put them at fault in this case.
Old 25th March 2011, 07:46 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
It's either this 2:1 master or no release at all.
I know this will sound harsh, and I have the upmost respect for everything Arrow has one so far, but I wouldn't have bothered releasing it if the licensors said all that was available was a 2.1 master. I really don't see this shifting many copies at all unfortunately, even with the extras.
Old 25th March 2011, 08:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The fact the BU disc is now OOP is in Arrow's favour. I'd no idea it was out of print until I read about it in this very thread.

I know there are a lot of people who, like us, are aware of technical issues and buy accordingly, but there are also a lot of people that are just discovering these films who'd never know. There are also a lot of people who'd not be put off.

Back at the time I was collecting DVDs in the format's early days, a compromised aspect ratio wouldn't have bothered me if it was the only way to own a particular film, but when there's a choice of different releases you'd obviously go for the product that ticks all your boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25th March 2011, 08:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djangooo View Post
I've been harsh on Arrow's The Beyond release because I feel all of the flaws on that could have been avoided, but in this case it seems as though Storaro has their hands tied.

Regardless of the spot it seems he has them in a hard place that can't be changed. Can't really put them at fault in this case.
I´m not saying the fault is from Arrow...

But regarding the tech specs, I´ll not buy it.
If this was the only master available I really understand that it´s not Arrow to blame, and will make many people happy... but not me.
Old 25th March 2011, 08:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Well put, Paul. I imagine that the average person looking for a Blu-ray to buy in HMV (and other high street stores) will either be completely unaware that the film isn't in the usual aspect ratio or really won't be bothered by the difference. As you said, this is the only Blu-ray of the film that you can buy new so people may buy it regardless -- we'll only know when it goes on sale.
Old 25th March 2011, 08:15 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Yeah, I'm also thinking that the discontinuation of BU's Blu release will work in Arrow's favour, particularly in the long-term.
Old 25th March 2011, 08:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

That's true, if you don't think about the next couple of months but after a couple of years, this will be the only one available whilst the BU one will be going for ridiculous prices on Amazon Marketplace and eBay.
Old 25th March 2011, 09:37 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
The fact the BU disc is now OOP is in Arrow's favour. I'd no idea it was out of print until I read about it in this very thread.

I know there are a lot of people who, like us, are aware of technical issues and buy accordingly, but there are also a lot of people that are just discovering these films who'd never know. There are also a lot of people who'd not be put off.

Back at the time I was collecting DVDs in the format's early days, a compromised aspect ratio wouldn't have bothered me if it was the only way to own a particular film, but when there's a choice of different releases you'd obviously go for the product that ticks all your boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On the other hand though people buying Blu's of these kind of films are usually the obsessives that already own it on DVD and are anal about this kind of stuff (as they should be).

We should count ourselves lucky that Storaro didn't shoot Cat O Nine Tails.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!