Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2011, 01:14 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
No offence to Storaro, but he's getting on a bit. Like Kubrick, hopefully we'll see the original ratio version again when he's gone. I have a feeling that any company that wants to release the film from now on will only be given this abomination.
I'm guessing the rest of the world are fearing this too hence the rapid rush to buy the overpriced copies on BU's on ebay. I feel as though this is going to be the only version that is available for some time. I really can't understand why somoene as smart and talented as Storaro would butcher his own work like this.

I'd be really interested to hear what Dario thinks. Surely he wouldn't approve?
Old 26th March 2011, 04:53 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djangooo View Post
I just threw together a mock up 2.1 shot of Bird. Of course it isn't necessarily the way Storaro would frame it, but you get the idea.

2:35:1
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3626/oarj.jpg

2:1:1
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/2363/60844360.jpg
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I know this will sound harsh, and I have the upmost respect for everything Arrow has one so far, but I wouldn't have bothered releasing it if the licensors said all that was available was a 2.1 master. I really don't see this shifting many copies at all unfortunately, even with the extras.
Agreed. Whilst the Arrow package is on the whole more eye catching and appealing to fans (OAR aside) there's also that pesky Poundland release to keep in mind... I wonder what the AR is on that version?

Aha:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Compare
R2 United Kingdom - (Platinum Media Corporation)
Extras:
Interviews with Dario Argento and Luigi Cozzi (12 mins)
Photo gallery
Theatrical trailer
Bonus trailers: "Profondo Rosso", "Cat o' Nine Tails", "Demons" and "Demons 2"
Subtitles:
English
Aspect Ratio:
2.35:1
Picture Format:
Anamorphic
TV System:
PAL
Soundtrack(s):
Italian Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Case type:
Keep Case
Notes:
Also in the "Dario Argento - The Giallo Box Set", with "Cat O'Nine Tales", and "Phenomena" (Note, that also the box set includes the CUT-version of "The Bird With The Crystal Plumage").
Old 26th March 2011, 04:58 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertzombie View Post
Agreed. Whilst the Arrow package is on the whole more eye catching and appealing to fans (OAR aside) there's also that pesky Poundland release to keep in mind... I wonder what the AR is on that version?
The Platinum Media DVD is 2.35:1 (16:9 enhanced), whereas the VCI DVD is 2.35:1 with no 16:9 enhancment.

Not sure which is the poundland one but you can pick either up for about a quid online.

EDIT: Beat me to it!
Old 26th March 2011, 05:30 PM
Active Cultist

Pretty sure the £land version is the Platinum Media Corporation release.
Old 27th March 2011, 10:52 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I think this passage from the DVDBeaver review of the BU disc says it all....

Mention has to go to cinematographer extraordinaire Vittorio Storaro, who paints a wonderful vision. Dario Argento is, firstly, a visual director, but this would be nothing without a great cinematographer capable of filming what the director desires. Mr. Storaro is up to the challenge and helps create a visual feast of a story. Every scene is framed the way it should be to create maximum impact. The critical scene with Suzy Kendall alone in her apartment shows how the cinematography is used to create incredible suspense. With a just of a few shots of Mrs. Kendall's face, a knife and a small hole in a door, my heart was pounding.

So, the man has now ruined both his, and Argento's original vision with his insistance on the altered ratio. I really would like to hear Argento's thoughts about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27th March 2011, 01:45 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Don't Arrow have a say in how the film is presented? Surely, at some point in negotiations, Arrow would have become aware of what they might be getting? It's inevitable that there would be something of a backlash regarding this news.
Old 27th March 2011, 01:51 PM
Active Cultist

Once again I have never seen this film and the BU is now oop I guess I have no choice but to buy the Arrow release!
Old 27th March 2011, 02:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Don't Arrow have a say in how the film is presented? Surely, at some point in negotiations, Arrow would have become aware of what they might be getting? It's inevitable that there would be something of a backlash regarding this news.
My understanding is that the choice was between the 2.0:1 aspect ratio or nothing as they didn't have the rights to the Blue Underground 2.35:1 HD master. Surely it's better to have this version than none at all?
Old 27th March 2011, 02:46 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Surely it's better to have this version than none at all?
A very interesting question, and one which has applied to hundreds of films in the UK over the decades.

In the case of rare, unreleased films, I would always answer in the affirmative.

Unfortunately, where there is a more appealing release available elsewhere, then I would have to answer negatively.

It does make me wonder - due to the licensing agreement BU had, did that mean no other company could have access to a 2.35:1 print for a set period of time, and thats the real reason behind this being at a different ratio? Forgive my cynicism here, but I've seen these kind of rights issues cause such problems before.
Old 27th March 2011, 02:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I can see this release getting seriously slated all over the review sites.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!