Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th March 2011, 04:22 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm just wondering how you became such an expert on aspect ratios when the image you have put up to illustrate the difference between 2.35:1 and Storaro's work when the image itself isn't even 2.35:1!

Sorry for being picky 'n all!
When you remove the black lines at the top and bottom you get 2.35:1 (although removing the black line at the left of the frame gives you a 2.34:1 image)
Old 29th March 2011, 04:36 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm just wondering how you became such an expert on aspect ratios when the image you have put up to illustrate the difference between 2.35:1 and Storaro's work when the image itself isn't even 2.35:1!

Sorry for being picky 'n all!
The clickable thumb on the Beaver review does not show the entire frame.

Here is the enlarged capture:
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/6...with20the2.jpg
Old 29th March 2011, 04:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

The inner crop-marks are 1.85:1 as opposed to 2:1. I get where your coming from though. I wonder if Storaro plans on panning and scanning within his 2:1 frame?
Old 29th March 2011, 04:50 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
The inner crop-marks are 1.85:1 as opposed to 2:1. I get where your coming from though. I wonder if Storaro plans on panning and scanning within his 2:1 frame?
You're talking about the 4 white L marks? THey're part of the image, indicating a camera view finder?

Which would be approximately 2.9:1 btw

Or am I misunderstanding you?
Old 29th March 2011, 04:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain dead View Post
You're talking about the 4 white L marks? THey're part of the image, indicating a camera view finder?

Which would be approximately 2.9:1 btw

Or am I misunderstanding you?
Oops! You're quite right. Need more coffee before posting. Ignore me.
Old 29th March 2011, 04:59 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
Oops! You're quite right. Need more coffee before posting. Ignore me.
I was getting a little confused there.
Old 29th March 2011, 05:37 PM
Cult Rookie

Yeah, they're shots from the Camera'persons' point of view at the beginning of the film. That shot probably shows how warped Storaro's modern thinking really is.
Old 29th March 2011, 06:06 PM
Ex-member

Maybe I was misunderstood.

I was merely pointing out a shot that seemed to indicate that 2.35:1 is indeed the OAR.
Old 29th March 2011, 07:40 PM
Active Cultist

hope this will be ok
Old 29th March 2011, 07:44 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
But if you think DNR is absent from BU - I think you'll be disappointed; it's not that grainy.
BU certainly has less DNR than Arrow's release. The grain structure looks almost identical to that found on the Wild Side transfer, and I doubt both of them managed to fake grain in exactly the same way...

Honestly, I'm curious what print was actually used to make the HD master. Blue Underground says it was a new scan of the negative, but it looks like the same exact HD master that we've seen on various DVD and Blu-ray releases since about 2007. (I'm not saying anything, I'm just... saying. )

To get back to Bird with the Compromised Aspect Ratio, I'll be very curious to see how it looks via screencaps, if nothing else. BU released it on DVD with a very similar looking transfer back in 2005, I think, so I imagine the HD master they used is anything but new. That doesn't mean it's bad, of course, but I'll be curious to see if the "Storaro-ized" transfer has notably different contrast, grain structure or anything along those lines. I'm not happy about the aspect ratio at all, but I am curious about the "look" of the new master, if that makes any sense.

I'm pretty sure what Der Spiler was getting at was, if one were to crop this particular scene, the entire effect of being within a camera's viewfinder would be obscured - or maybe even lost completely. The moment I read about the 2.0:1 ratio, these scenes immediately sprang to mind as a perfect example of why matting a film in retrospect is a VERY bad idea.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!