Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th June 2011, 12:03 AM
Ex-member

Am I right that the Arrow Bluray has no surround sound option?
Mine is on the way . £13.95 from Base
A review I saw mentioned English and Italian mono.
Having enjoyed surround on the movie for a decade or more I don't want to go back to mono.
Old 26th June 2011, 09:15 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Your information is correct. The BD has Italian and English LPCM 2.0 Mono tracks which are both, in my opinion anyway, extremely good: crystal clear and do a tremendous job with the pounding music.

I generally prefer to watch films with the soundtrack they used theatrically or the director intended so tend to go for the mono or stereo options over a new 5.1 mix (or 7.1) for older movies which didn't have such a multichannel soundtrack when they were made.
Old 26th June 2011, 01:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The latest Empire magazine (Harry Potter cover) has a small but glowing review. The Arrow sleeve is pictured.

***** Film
***** Extras

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 26th June 2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 26th June 2011, 02:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
The latest Empire magazine (Harry Potter cover) has a small but glowing review.

***** Film
***** Extras
That's excellent news. Even small publicity is better than none and it probably helps that Kim Newman, one of Empire's reviewers, was on the more entertaining of the two commentaries! I'll have to see if it's on the website.
Old 26th June 2011, 02:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That's excellent news. Even small publicity is better than none and it probably helps that Kim Newman, one of Empire's reviewers, was on the more entertaining of the two commentaries! I'll have to see if it's on the website.
Its still the review of the old release on the website.

In the mag the review above Tenebrae is Salon Kitty, less than impressed they are
Old 26th June 2011, 03:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Its still the review of the old release on the website.
I know, I've just had a look and was going to say the same thing!
Old 26th June 2011, 03:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I know, I've just had a look and was going to say the same thing!
Just off topic for one post, if anyone likes Harry Potter the above mentioned Empire has an excellent supplement with it, full of new specially commissioned pictorials with the full cast.
Old 26th June 2011, 07:42 PM
Ex-member

After the issues with the faulty discs of The Beyond , incorrect ratio for Crystal Plumage and now no surround sound option on Tenebrae I think I've preordered my last Arrow title.

I tolerate the dreadful white packaging as the discs are usually good and the appalling new artwork is easily replaced with the multiple cover options but to take off the surround track is a bad move.
I don't mind purists having the option of the original mono but the soundtrack to Tenebrae is one of it's highlights so burying it all into a single channel is a disappointment.

Fortunately I managed to get Blue Underground discs for Crystal Plumage and Cat O Nine Tails but I've not seen a date for Tenebrae yet.

Shall I watch it first or sell it unopened ?

At least we know House By The Cemetery is coming from BU so any Arrow release can be left on the shelf which is sad as the extras are usually better than BU
Old 27th June 2011, 12:13 PM
Cult Rookie

Latest review from Twitch (I'm new so I can't post the link, but you can find it via a Google search)...

Thumbs up for audio ("I didn't notice any distracting hisses or pops, and the dialogue was clear, if at times over-powered by the background score.") and extras but the reviewer notes the following about the video...

Quote:
Parts of Arrow Video's presentation of Tenebrae is a bit puzzling. The video clearly outshines the previous DVD incarnations, but there is something strange about it. There is increased detail and better dynamic range in the brightness levels and colors, though there is a strange video-ish buzzing at various points during the film. It isn't an audio buzz, it looks more like extremely fine video noise or something. It's hard to explain, but it doesn't look like grain, and the fact that it is present during bright daylight sequences points to the fact that it probably isn't film grain. It isn't overly distracting, but when you're reviewing a disc like this, you have to have eagle eyes and pick up on things that may sneak past the casual viewer. Like I said, it is light years ahead of any DVD available, but not quite as eye-popping as a modern film or a well-loved classic with an extensive restoration might be.
Still, nothing too negative. There's been mention made by others in another thread that there are issues with the audio crackling but it's not mentioned in this review.
Old 27th June 2011, 03:16 PM
Cultist

This is from the same review!

The Italian DTS-HD MA stereo track is noticeably brighter and punchier than the English dub.

?????

Is there such a thing?

Like this? Share it using the links below!