All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th December 2011, 12:29 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Once again,I'll state for the record.....
I AM NOT EMPLOYED BY ARROW
I HAVE NO FINANCIAL INTERESTS IN ARROW
I AM NOT PAID HERE TO MODERATE
Liar. I know for a fact Reaper gets £100k a month and he runs all the brothels in Glasgow. Come on, say it ain't true?
Old 9th December 2011, 09:49 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
My own theory is that these transfers to blu ray are still a learning process, I also think some of the complaints are over the top, some people hate the torso blu-ray despite it being the best the film has looked (even better than shameless)
Yeah, I saw Torso and thought it looked fantastic, absolutely superb. Then went online and found a review bemoaning the 'static grain' which gave it a very lukewarm review. Didn't change my opinion of the disc at all, I still think it looks fantastic.
Old 9th December 2011, 10:15 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
My own theory is that these transfers to blu ray are still a learning process, I also think some of the complaints are over the top, some people hate the torso blu-ray despite it being the best the film has looked (even better than shameless)
My theory: a typical dialogue between two people employed by an Italian company that distributes HD masters of Italian Horror classics.

A: "Holy smoke. Look at that mess. (Looking at film grain.) Look, here's so much dirt, I almost can't believe it!"
B: "Terrible. We're lucky, though - press the DNRS button."
A (presses the button): "Wow. Works in a second. That's great."
B: "I know. But I've read in some forum that there are still some lunatics who like film grain. I really can't understand those fools. Check out such smooth faces... all the actor's pimples are gone! He looks much better now."
A: "Look here. Do you think "ADG" could mean "artificial digital grain"?"
B: "Maybe - let's try it."
A: "Bingo."
B: "Nice. Now all will be happy!"

Greetings!
Old 9th December 2011, 11:57 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Yeah, I saw Torso and thought it looked fantastic, absolutely superb. Then went online and found a review bemoaning the 'static grain' which gave it a very lukewarm review. Didn't change my opinion of the disc at all, I still think it looks fantastic.
I thought Torso on Blu-ray looked incredible. I really don't get the complaints at all. Best it's ever looked and far, far better than any of the DVD releases. This isn't a slight upgrade, it's a major upgrade. I'm happy with it, anyway. One of the very best BDs (IMO) I've seen is the BU BD of New York Ripper, and even that gets slated. I'm not sure what people expect, to be honest.
PaulD likes this.
Old 9th December 2011, 01:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm also more than happy with Torso. In terms of picture quality it's night and day, even when compared to it's best dvd releases.
Personally, after buying several of BU's BD's, i've been extremely impressed with all of their upgrades, esp New York Ripper.

And as i've said earlier, i've no issues either with Arrow's Tenebrae. Unless you're sitting right up close to the screen, you can't even see this grain.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 9th December 2011, 02:56 PM
Cult Addict

As far as tenebrae itself goes I had no issues, I checked out the french disc (finally) and honestly while it is better, its not better enough to sit through french subs. I'm betting in a couple of years a new better transfer will hit and i'll upgrade. As A cult movie fan i'm used to his by now. I lost count of the number of evil dead/texas chainsaw discs I've owned over the years.
Old 9th December 2011, 08:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Here is information regarding BFI's Blu-ray of Salo which has similar problems as Tenebrae, The Stendhal Syndrome, etc., so could explain why so many films coming from Italy are spoilt by that horrible noise:

Quote:
I confirmed the information re: SALO. The film elements were handled in Rome (as I suspected, by Technicolor; this was not the first time this issue came up) without the presence of anybody from the BFI. The master was made not from a transfer direct to HD but a 2K scan of the material (from what I am seeing here, on a 2K Spirit - that still has the little porcelain piece near the lens head attached, which is part of the cause of the distortions). Then the files were converted and played to out to an HD tape, in this case an HDCAMSR. This is what the BFI received, not the 2K files. I do not know whether the SR was done 4:4:4 RGB, but I suspect it was not, so it was made 24psf 1080 - probably 4:2:2 YUV. During that scan (!!!!!) already De-Noising was attributed - so it could not be removed. The color timing is another issue, but the "bugs" were already in the "flesh" before the 2K downconvert HDCAMSR made it to the hands of the BFI team.
The "processing" that you refered to, Robert, is the trail of a de-noising tool such as Digital Vision produces it. It removes grain by cleansing the image intraframe from not only grain but any HF detail and replaces it with an almost veil-like shroud if made too agressively. The artifacts left behind are crystal sharp and on the file resemble little sugar powder that replaces the original pixel information.

A pin-registered scanner such as an IMAGICA would have been, indeed, better for this material - not to mention that the use of de-noising during the scan is something that is beyond belief.
Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom - Page 6 - Blu-ray Forum
Old 9th December 2011, 09:28 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Apologist themes?

Once again,I'll state for the record.....
I AM NOT EMPLOYED BY ARROW
I HAVE NO FINANCIAL INTERESTS IN ARROW
I AM NOT PAID HERE TO MODERATE

I'm simply stating that I found the Goblin featurette amazing to watch.

Obviously I'm not in a position to comment as I wasn't at the gig,but I'm glad it was 'tacked' on.....

You must be from Glasgow....you 'walked' amongst us before?
I said Arrow apologists! did I at any way point or time in my comment suggest you were employ by Arrow? NO (so please don't suggest that I have done so) I called you an Arrow apologist...different thing!, yes I am from Glasgow, and was at the Goblin gig (does that make a difference to the quality of the disc?) i will repeat myself, people (including yourself) slapping Arrow on the back for a shocking transfer as the extras are worth the price? really f@ck the transfer as long as there's a couple of extras?)...you are mod on Arrow's forums so by default who do you stick up for, the "regular people who purchase Arrow product, or the people you you work the forums for (paid or not)...the disc is SHOCKING anyone who says otherwise are either blind (or blinded) by Arrows PR machine
Old 9th December 2011, 09:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fausto View Post
I said Arrow apologists! did I at any way point or time in my comment suggest you were employ by Arrow? NO (so please don't suggest that I have done so) I called you an Arrow apologist...different thing!, yes I am from Glasgow, and was at the Goblin gig (does that make a difference to the quality of the disc?) i will repeat myself, people (including yourself) slapping Arrow on the back for a shocking transfer as the extras are worth the price? really f@ck the transfer as long as there's a couple of extras?)...you are mod on Arrow's forums so by default who do you stick up for, the "regular people who purchase Arrow product, or the people you you work the forums for (paid or not)...the disc is SHOCKING anyone who says otherwise are either blind (or blinded) by Arrows PR machine
Old 9th December 2011, 09:38 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
This here is a free forum, so everybody's allowed to embarrass him- or herself by posting unobjective and polemical comments. Or in Igor's words: Suit yourself, I'm easy.

Greetings!
Unless it's YOURSELF!
It's YOUR comments that have stopped me from commenting on here for a looong time as I find you argumentative & disruptive & smug, so really DON'T highlight what I say in RED as it's antagonistic

Like this? Share it using the links below!