All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2011, 03:02 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
I think a Coke and a smile for all is called for.
A line or a glass of fizz, Almar?

I'm not falling out with anyone, don't worry. I think we all understand that this has been a difficult title for Arrow, as they didn't know beforehand what they would be getting. I don't think you can destroy a good movie, which it is, but the reframing does make it look a little odd, but certainly not unwatchable, although I still prefer the orignal framing as per Dario's intention. I'm still bewildered though that the licensor has granted Storaro's wishes on this particular title. I can't imagine dear old Dario being best pleased.
Old 12th May 2011, 03:07 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
A line or a glass of fizz, Almar?

I'm not falling out with anyone, don't worry. I think we all understand that this has been a difficult title for Arrow, as they didn't know beforehand what they would be getting. I don't think you can destroy a good movie, which it is, but the reframing does make it look a little odd, but certainly not unwatchable, although I still prefer the orignal framing as per Dario's intention. I'm still bewildered though that the licensor has granted Storaro's wishes on this particular title. I can't imagine dear old Dario being best pleased.
Always the glass!

This is a situation which will frustrate some and that's quite understood and fine for people to debate it - I'm just hitting the release valve every now and again!
Old 12th May 2011, 03:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Maybe (and hopefully for Arrow) you are wrong. Especially as a hardcore fan of Argento I'd be interested in every new and different release of his films.

As for keirarts - maybe he should lower his voice a little, but he has got a point. Those complaining about Arrow's releases on Amazon and other pages seem to be strange people, as they complain about each and everything. I cannot take such people seriously, and if you read their comments carefully it becomes quite obvious that most of them might even have trouble sitting on the loo properly. It's proportionality again - I miss that a bit in keirarts last posts, but mainly in the Amazon comments already mentioned. But as Almar rightly implied: let's call it a day.

It has already been said that the original aspect ratio would have been better - but although it slightly diminishes my (and other people's) anticipation, it won't keep me from buying the release. Except for the really strange viewfinder topic - I don't think that the aspect ratio change destroys the movie. But that's up to one's personal taste, I guess. As for me: I will pre-order the disc at the beginning of next week and I'm looking forward to the release all the same.

Greetings!
Things seem to get a little heated on them amazon pages! A certain chap called a.waite just brought it out in me. I do think in regards to this release the presentation will probably affect sales, which is a shame because I genuinelly like what arrow is doing.

said 'moron' quote was a little harsh, as your right people are indeed entitled to their opinions and I apologise if anybody got offended. (though scan through a few of a.waits comments and you'll see where i'm coming from)

I think however some of the amazon remarks many of which were posted before anyone had actually seen the disc were crossing the line in places, especially in regards to cult labs forums.

ah well, from now on i think i'll just skip em' all together. I just wish argento would show a little more interest in how other people are showing his films as in spite of recent declines in quality he's still a director with a definate vison.
And storaros choice of aspect ratrio does not look right at all.

I'll take a look at the disc after release and make my mind up, but for me at the minute the blu underground release I already own is looking like a keeper.
Old 12th May 2011, 03:18 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Things seem to get a little heated on them amazon pages! A certain chap called a.waite just brought it out in me. I do think in regards to this release the presentation will probably affect sales, which is a shame because I genuinelly like what arrow is doing.

said 'moron' quote was a little harsh, as your right people are indeed entitled to their opinions and I apologise if anybody got offended. (though scan through a few of a.waits comments and you'll see where i'm coming from)

I think however some of the amazon remarks many of which were posted before anyone had actually seen the disc were crossing the line in places, especially in regards to cult labs forums.

ah well, from now on i think i'll just skip em' all together. I just wish argento would show a little more interest in how other people are showing his films as in spite of recent declines in quality he's still a director with a definate vison.
And storaros choice of aspect ratrio does not look right at all.

I'll take a look at the disc after release and make my mind up, but for me at the minute the blu underground release I already own is looking like a keeper.
I'm not even sure what influence Argento could have on this - ownership of the rights will dictate what happens but it's not something I'd claim to know the full story on.

Glad we're all playing nice - this is a debate worth having but as none of us personally can do anything about what master is authorised and why it's certainly not worth us falling out over.
Old 12th May 2011, 03:29 PM
Cult Addict

fully agreed, and as for the rights issues i'm clueless. (though releasing a few titles myself might be nice one day, but more of a pipe dream.. getting giallo in venice out there lol!)

I just would have thought an artist such as argento would have an opinion, I know coppola overrode storaro in regards to apocalypse now.

The real tragedy is the whole affair, while not arrows fault in any way, has provided some real ammunition to its more vocal critics who I feel in the past have been massivly wrong about some of arrows releases, including inferno and bay of blood (both my favourite versions so far.)

Perhaps some legislation, requiring companies to provide full details on the films their selling so no small companies like arrow get bitten in the future?
Old 12th May 2011, 04:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Almar - with the upcoming Conformist dual release, please tell me that Storaro had nothing to do with it
Old 12th May 2011, 04:59 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Almar - with the upcoming Conformist dual release, please tell me that Storaro had nothing to do with it
Don't have a Scooby on that one!
Old 12th May 2011, 05:53 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
these are the cards that have been dealt...
Sorry Almar, but as they say, ya gotta know when to fold 'em!

The black-and-white filter is there to compensate for the fact that the viewfinder marks are missing... something that could have been avoided if it had just been left as-is. Assuming DVDBeaver's caps are right, there's also been quite a bit of DVNR to go with that new pasty blue color-timing.

Almar, was there any additional clean-up work done on Arrow's end? There's quite a bit of DVNR on the UK release compared to the US caps, but under the circumstances I wouldn't be shocked if Crazy Vitto was behind that, too.

I understand all of this was outside of Arrow's control, so I'm certainly not upset at you guys, but wow... this release looks pretty bad. I hope you guys don't lose money on the license cost, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to sit this one out personally.
Old 12th May 2011, 07:31 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It is a real shame about this. Bloody Storaro needs his head examined. Not ideal, but why didn't he even digitally remove the viewfinder marks and place them in the frame. Having them at one side is just utter madness. Oh well, still got the whole package to look forward too. I bet you anything that he's mad as hell that Apocalypse Now is now in it's intended aspect ratio again!
Old 12th May 2011, 07:34 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'enfant Errant View Post
Sorry Almar, but as they say, ya gotta know when to fold 'em!

Almar, was there any additional clean-up work done on Arrow's end? There's quite a bit of DVNR on the UK release compared to the US caps, but under the circumstances I wouldn't be shocked if Crazy Vitto was behind that, too.

I understand all of this was outside of Arrow's control, so I'm certainly not upset at you guys, but wow... this release looks pretty bad. I hope you guys don't lose money on the license cost, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to sit this one out personally.
Not as far as I'm aware - the master was restored by the licensor and that's what's on the disc.

Like this? Share it using the links below!