Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2011, 08:04 PM
Cult Rookie

So any DVNR is likely Storaro approved. Yep, my opinion of him only gets stronger every day...

Thanks for the confirmation, though.
Old 12th May 2011, 08:16 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'enfant Errant View Post
So any DVNR is likely Storaro approved. Yep, my opinion of him only gets stronger every day...

Thanks for the confirmation, though.
That I couldn't honestly say.
Old 12th May 2011, 08:26 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
It is a real shame about this. Bloody Storaro needs his head examined. Not ideal, but why didn't he even digitally remove the viewfinder marks and place them in the frame. Having them at one side is just utter madness. Oh well, still got the whole package to look forward too. I bet you anything that he's mad as hell that Apocalypse Now is now in it's intended aspect ratio again!
Let's hope he's allowed nowhere near this!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 13th May 2011, 12:30 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I don't know why Storaro couldn't have met people halfway and agreed to having two versions up for license. By that, I mean Storaro's reframed version could be used as an extra, an alternative way to view the film as it were. But no, he and the licensor will only allow Storaro's version to be licensed out. Is there any way to sue him and the licensor for selling Arrow something 'not fit fior purpose'? That'd shut him up good and proper.

A good cinematographer he may have been once upon a time, but now he's just an old fool warbling on about the Last Supper and tampering with old films.

Storaro, I hope you read this. Go away and do something useful and leave these films alone! We don't appreciate your interference. And another thing, I think there's only about 12 people left on the planet with 4:3 TV's now, so get your facts straight.
Pete, robertzombie and Rhodes like this.
Old 13th May 2011, 02:59 AM
Cult Rookie

No worries, I just meant the confirmation that any DVNR wasn't Arrow's doing.
Old 13th May 2011, 07:43 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
It is a real shame about this. Bloody Storaro needs his head examined. Not ideal, but why didn't he even digitally remove the viewfinder marks and place them in the frame. Having them at one side is just utter madness. Oh well, still got the whole package to look forward too. I bet you anything that he's mad as hell that Apocalypse Now is now in it's intended aspect ratio again!
It is a pity indeed when one's ego comes first and the work is only second. To be honest, Stephen, that's what I've been thinking, too - with all that bloody CGI and DNR around: why in god's name did no one train a chimpanzee monkey to put the now-missing viewfinder marks back in place? Shouldn't have caused too much trouble, ey? If they had asked me I would have done it for board and lodging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I don't know why Storaro couldn't have met people halfway and agreed to having two versions up for license. By that, I mean Storaro's reframed version could be used as an extra, an alternative way to view the film as it were. But no, he and the licensor will only allow Storaro's version to be licensed out. Is there any way to sue him and the licensor for selling Arrow something 'not fit fior purpose'? That'd shut him up good and proper.
Don't forget this: it has to be a Storaro release to satisfy him. The way most people describe him and the way he handles the works he contributed to he really seems to suffer from some inferiority complex - "It ain't no good release until I have messed it up." I guess he very often would love to see his name replacing the director's.

Quote:
And another thing, I think there's only about 12 people left on the planet with 4:3 TV's now, so get your facts straight.
As I happen to be one of those 12 I strongly recommend a decent apology.

Greetings!

PS: Maybe I should add that I own about 500 VHS and the only way to watch them properly is to own an old and big 4:3 TV.
Old 13th May 2011, 09:45 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
As I happen to be one of those 12 I strongly recommend a decent apology.
Sorry, I meant no disrespect to 4:3 owners. I must've got my maths wrong, you've now confirmed there's 13 people with 4:3 sets.

Well, I've looked at the screencaps comparisons. The reframing won't destroy the movie, but it does rather ruin the presentation. To be honest, if I wasn't familiar with the film, I probably wouldn't know it was reframed. And I imagine the black and white sequences are to indicate to the viewer that photos are being taken, since the camera viewfinder markings are mostly absent, so I can kind of understand why he did that.

I'm hoping that Storaro's version doesn't now supplant the original version, that would be rather sad to think that this is the only version we'll see from this point onwards.
Old 13th May 2011, 10:10 AM
Active Cultist

The really peculiar thing is that even the 4:3 TV set rational behind his decision makes no sense at all. Still gonna be healthy black bars on the display with this ratio.
Old 13th May 2011, 01:15 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm hoping that Storaro's version doesn't now supplant the original version, that would be rather sad to think that this is the only version we'll see from this point onwards.
I'm no expert, but I think it will. Unless he's overruled by Argento, this could well be the only availble version from now on.....well, at least until he leaves this mortal coil!
Old 13th May 2011, 01:38 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Any idea what Francis Ford Coppola and the production team did in order to release Apocalypse Now in 2.35:1?

Like this? Share it using the links below!