All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2011, 06:43 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I find that pretty strange, especially with the generous special features on the BD, and the dvd being basically barebones. I would think most fans who are still dvd only, would buy a special edition dvd.
My thoughts exactly- and another no-buy from me, unfortunately, as I'd originally planned otherwise after reading the SE specs.

I for one own many varying DVD versions of flicks I like. In most instances I double dipped for varying/superior/new extras and/or better pq.

As far as upgrading to Blu is concerned:
Since the technical jump from DVD to Blu isn't even nearly as overpowering and huge as it was when it was time to skip vhs for DVD, I'd very much like to choose the time of upgrade myself and not be pressed into Blu by the artificial shortage of attractive releases on DVD!

I really couldn't bother any less when the major studios (namely Warner) are currently putting out their "extended" etc SE cuts of mainstream fare like "Sucker Punch" on Blu only whereas the DVD crowd is treated to inferior product, as I wouldn't have bought the majority of those titles anyway in any shape, BUT it leaves a sour taste when even the dedicated cult companies follow suit in this regard.
We DVD collectors are part of the faithful genre fanbase which keeps companies like Arrow, Shameless, Code Red, Synapse, Blue Underground, Another World Entertainment etc ticking, so I see no real convincing reason to ignore and write us off just yet!

This makes the anticipation of future attractive SEs slightly less enjoyable- as the "format release question" will be on the minds of many fans who'd otherwise have gotten all positively excited about a new quality release of a chersihed cult classic.

So if "Blu Only" is the way to go for the months to come, I'll get all cosily "retro" and start dedicating my collector's attention to hunting down the "good ol' DVD stuff" in second hand shops "Pre Cert"-treasure-style.
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:25 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I do think it's unfair that those who haven't upgraded yet have to miss out.
Sure, it is in a way. But that's called technical progress. What bothers you is the fact that you're forced to switch to Blu-ray, hm? I can understand that. But I already pointed out that in the year 2011 it's indeed affordable to put a Blu-ray player next to your TV. So people being forced to buy the new stuff cannot be called elitism anymore.

However, I can understand you being mad about how things develop. It's similar with me, the European Union and cars - every new model has to have ESC now, from flea cars over big SUVs to sports cars. Here it's me saying "Hey, why do you pr*cks from the EU force me to buy a castrated car in terms of driving enjoyment?". Let me choose!

To set the record straight, I switched to Blu-ray as recently as last August. And there are still movies that I buy on DVD rather than on Blu-ray. I couldn't see any sense in buying the original Frankenstein on Blu. And I am happily watching some good old VHS on my 4:3 TV several times a week - I seem to be one of 13 people still doing that, according to Daemonia.

Besides, I do have to agree with Peter in terms of quality improvement of Blu-ray over DVD - very often, it's only cosmetical refurbishing of movies that already looked alright on DVD.

But what we are discussing here seems to be slightly off-topic. So back to The Funhouse and its BD release - a thing I am looking forward to!

Greetings!
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've just heard from Fran and I'm pleased to let you know that this release will have a trailer.
That's good to know and i think i'll definitely be getting rid of my old R1 DVD now!

I'm just very much a completist when it comes to trailers featured on relevant releases and i believe fellow forum member Stephen is also of the same opinion.

Can't wait to visit The Funhouse again when the time comes!
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:29 AM
Cult Rookie

I've had a Blu-Ray player since 2007 and yes it was like "huh" "what's that" and such like, But is it great to walk into your local Asda, Tesco etc... and see BD's at £5.00 and cheaper, Why peeps think it's an elitist thing and it's so expensive really should do a little more research, BD players from as little as £50, HD TV's from as little as £299 and your good to go. Gotta face it the future is Blu. I've still got a vast collection of DVD's that I'll never replace but surely you want the best from your collection?

I personally cannot wait to see The Funhouse in HD
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:32 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Ditto.
I too am glad I made the jump.
The difference in older films is superb.

Remember,Arrow did this with DAWN and DAY OF THE DEAD.

Perhaps when the original Arrow dvd goes OOP this will appear?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:01 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Remember,Arrow did this with DAWN and DAY OF THE DEAD.

Perhaps when the original Arrow dvd goes OOP this will appear?
That's the (minor) hope I still have for this one.

The difference to "Dawn" and "Day" is that both were already available in varying extras-packed DVD releases around the globe so the move to issue them first Blu only didn't freak me out quite as much.
In fact I held on to Arrow's fine pre "Arrow Video"- SE DVD release of "Day" but gladly picked up their 4 disc DVD release of "Dawn"

"The Funhouse" on the other hand had mostly had barebones DVD releases- apart from the German DVD which boosts a neat Hooper interview as a bonus feature.
It's a title familiar enough to attract further DVD sales as an SE- imho.
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:32 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I know it may seem odd given the release from 2007 had no extra features, but this is one of those cases when Arrow just had to look at the financial situation and decide this was best released on Blu-ray.

You never know, if sales are good and demand for a DVD release remains high, it could be like Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead and The Funhouse may be released on DVD in several months time.

If there are any plans afoot, I'll let you know.
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:29 PM
Cult Rookie

You not only have to upgrade the player-but you also need to upgrade the TV-I'll stick with the barebones version I have-but yeah I figured with all those great extras they would release a dvd version-why wouldn't I double dip.
Old 22nd May 2011, 01:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb52 View Post
You not only have to upgrade the player-but you also need to upgrade the TV-I'll stick with the barebones version I have-but yeah I figured with all those great extras they would release a dvd version-why wouldn't I double dip.
Less anyone be waiting for a DVD announcement: there is hardly any chance of this edition seeing the standard def format. Seriously: don't hold your breath.
Old 22nd May 2011, 01:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

If Arrow choose to go down the "blu only"-route more often in the future, they'll leave more than just a few fans with no other option than to look elsewhere for cult fare, sad but true, as I genuinelly like their presentation of genre flicks.....Ah well, not everybody releasing horror has gotten that "blu obsessed"-yet....

Like this? Share it using the links below!