Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2010, 02:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Hmmm...maybe I should wait a few months before getting this disc.
Maybe by then the out of sync disc is gone from most stocks.
I don´t wanna end up with a "bootleg" style DVD-R
Old 7th August 2010, 03:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
An DVD-R does not age as well (a few years later they might not play anymore) as a pressed DVD that might work forever.
My main concern...
Old 7th August 2010, 03:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Hmmm...maybe I should wait a few months before getting this disc.
Maybe by then the out of sync disc is gone from most stocks.
I don´t wanna end up with a "bootleg" style DVD-R
Just said that in another forum.
Old 7th August 2010, 09:16 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I ordered Martin last week from HMV and both discs are fine - no audio issues at all.
Old 8th August 2010, 09:22 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Hmmm...maybe I should wait a few months before getting this disc. Maybe by then the out of sync disc is gone from most stocks.(
I think that's a good idea and who knows by the time you get around to buying Martin the title may even be down in price. Patience may well be a virtue in this situation.

Last night i was checking my old Arrow full frame DVD of Romero's minor gem and i'm pretty convinced that the print on this edition has less grain than the non-widescreen transfer in the double disc set. I also suspect the initial full frame version was possibly brighter than the new 4.3 issue too. Quite strange i thought.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I sent Arrow an email regarding the "purple" replacement they sent me.

Arrow´s feedback:

Quote:
In order for us to ensure our factory did not mix faulty discs with the corrected copies we had these made away from the factory where the discs used are different and so have a purple sheen instead of silver, the disc has the same capacity and print as the faulty disc and the colour beneath is the only difference. I hope this won’t bother you too much but you can be sure the disc is of exactly the same quality.
My reply:

Quote:
Yes, but the only difference being that DVD-R have less lifetime than a normal DVD.
I know what I´m talking about because I´m a technician on Sony Portugal.

C´mon, the factory print what is on thhe master. If the master is the corrected one there can be no error.
When Sony has a replacement program they replace the disks with the new factory master.
If what your are saying is true, then all the correct disks are printed at home.
Even the inner ring doesn´t have the factory code of a normal dvd.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:36 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Gonna be interesting hearing the reply.
Old 9th August 2010, 01:48 PM
Cultist in Training

Should have spell checked that before you sent it off :P
Old 9th August 2010, 03:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Got the reply:

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, we have indeed replaced the master but at the time the discs were printed the factory hadn't even received the master so we did this to get the discs printed faster but also in the packaging
stages so faulty stock and corrected stock of discs did not get mixed up,
which is what happened when we first corrected the disc.

I understand that DVD-Rs have a shorter shelf life and I can put a copy aside for you when they are printed but this won’t be for a while so if you can use the DVD-R we have sent you til then I will make sure a copy comes your way when printed.
Old 9th August 2010, 03:41 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Ok folks - have been away on holiday but have asked Arrow Video about Martin and here's what they've asked me to pass on:

"Arrow Video pushed for a fast solution to ensure fans would have replacement discs as soon as possible so they could watch the film and not miss out but quite understand that the DVD-R based solution isn't suitable for all so for those people who have one of those discs please regard it as the temporary fix and that proper final discs will be supplied as soon as they're available.

Stock will be replaced in the factory so people should be able to order in confidence but if anyone for some reason gets one of the old rogue copies then the offending disc will be replaced."

As soon as the final replacement DVDs become available we'll post the information up on here but in short no one will be left with something they're unhappy with - a bit like Rambo: First Blood Part II but with discs - no one will be left behind...

Like this? Share it using the links below!