All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2012, 07:59 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I think it's a slight case of people (and don't think I'm targeting this at you, Prince! ) taking what they've been accustomed to for granted.
Yes, I definitely expect Arrow to be different, and to be more exclusive than other companies - that's why I buy their DVDs and Blu-rays.

Greetings!
Amertume likes this.
Old 24th January 2012, 08:04 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
I wouldn't call 2 paneled artwork and all the same extras vanilla!

Even with 2 panels instead of four and losing some of the internal paper goodies, you're still getting a premium package: how many other companies can even compete with that?

Take a look at what you get from most other distributors: the film and some flimsy photo-shopped art put together in ten minutes by some bored graphic design graduate.

I think it's a slight case of people (and don't think I'm targeting this at you, Prince! ) taking what they've been accustomed to for granted.

I am sad to see the four paneled slip-covered editions take on a limited life, but Arrow have to make money, and I'm betting the added costs for windowed slipcovers, quad art sleeves, posters, lobbycards, booklets etc. don't leave them with a lot of selling margin to play with and therefore invest in new films, extras, better quality control etc.
This is exactly what I was just about to write, the money saved on constant reprints of boxes could be spent on new HD masters for more titles to release. As I'm a collector and a Sucker for packaging making the boxed Blu-rays limited makes me want them even more.
At the end of the day the majority of us on this site would have preordered or would buy soon after release anyway and it's not like there won't be enough of the limited edition to go round all of us. Will there?

Seems a bit excessive to be making a mountain out of a molehill already when we don't even know the amount of stock the limited versions will have.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 24th January 2012, 08:08 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Yes, I definitely expect Arrow to be different, and to be more exclusive than other companies - that's why I buy their DVDs and Blu-rays.

Greetings!
They still are though, the loss of a slipcover and two artwork panels does not change that. Plus, as a die-hard Arrow fan, I'm sure you'll be picking up the limited release anyway (just like I will be). For you and me and many other fans nothing will change, this is more to cut costs in the casual buyers market.

Joseph A. Bloggs Esq. is more likely to pick-up an Arrow title in HMV if it is sitting pretty at £10-£12 than £15+.

To use a current analogy, it's the same as Eureka issuing limited steelbooks. Don't see people complaining about that.
Old 24th January 2012, 10:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Joseph A. Bloggs Esq. is more likely to pick-up an Arrow title in HMV if it is sitting pretty at £10-£12 than £15+.
Like Hmv will sell Arrow BD's for anything but £20+
Old 24th January 2012, 10:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default do not want

The only reason i started getting arrow titles is because of the slipcase, poster and other goodies. For extras wise, my old copies still do me fine.

I really don't mind the limited idea as long it's not too limited, as i can't always grab one as soon as it comes out.

For now, the only Arrow titles i have are the Slipcase editions, except for Midnight, which i won. I will be buying Deadly Spawn when it comes out, as it looks like a good movie, and has lots of extras.
Amertume likes this.
Old 24th January 2012, 11:20 PM
Cultist

More often than not I pre-order Arrow titles, but I do not like the idea that if I should choose not to buy something right away, or if I simply can't, that I wont be able to purchase a slip version.

I hope this wont be happening for Arrow Films Classics collection because I rarely buy those on release.

Quote:
To use a current analogy, it's the same as Eureka issuing limited steelbooks. Don't see people complaining about that.
That isn't the same at all. The Eureka Steelbooks are optional and ADDITIONAL alternatives, while the slipcase has always been a staple of the Arrow collection. What Eureka did was add, what Arrow are doing is removing.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 25th January 2012, 07:13 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
That isn't the same at all. The Eureka Steelbooks are optional and ADDITIONAL alternatives, while the slipcase has always been a staple of the Arrow collection. What Eureka did was add, what Arrow are doing is removing.
Agreed, but the purchasing analogy still stands: either buy the steelbook/limited edition on release (or there abouts) or risk not being able to, and having to buy the standard release. Yes, Eureka offer the alternative at the same time, but the main issue I see here is people worried that they might miss out on the initial 'limited' release.

Look at the Battle Royale BD: that was released in December 2010 and widely advertised as being limited (and numbered); which I doubt these releases will be. Add to that, the fact that it is widely regarded as a more 'popular' film, yet it is still available for sale over a year later.

Plus, we haven't yet been privy to how limited these releases will be. I'm sure Sarah will let us know more details once she has them available.
antmumford likes this.

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 25th January 2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 25th January 2012, 09:26 AM
Ex-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
ARROW VIDEO – UNLIMITED

The first of the Arrow Video Unlimited Editions will be Caligula, which like all Arrow Video Unlimited Editions will have a much lower RRP of £19.99, and will be released on 20/02/12.

Barcode: 5027035007793
I'm sorry but 'much lower price of 19.19 is still pricy. What were they before the change in packaging. I can't afford these prices until they drop in price on amazon. For 19.99 it should be buy one get one free.
Old 25th January 2012, 09:30 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Hello everyone - apologies for my absence on here for a while - I'm still reading and the mods are the heroes that keep everything going. I'm on here less because in the past few months the industry has literally fallen off a cliff - media outlets are going out of business, journos being laid off and on the film industry side some staggering cost cutting for survival and that folks is where we're at (and it's keeping me busy, working on the calculator or lying awake at night wondering...)

Whatever our opinions (and mine is that surely there is always a market for great cult releases otherwise why would I have helped invent Shameless and Arrow?) the truth of the matter is that sales simply don't bear it out and we can theorise on that until the cows come home but the economics of lavish editions of cult films really aren't working as well as any of us would like.

Most other labels don't bother anymore with this market - it's really hard and the economic realities make it now nearly impossible to justify so a careful approach and different editions for different pockets can potentially keep this market viable.

So folks from my perspective inside the industry and what I see happening around me we're lucky to have the option to buy lavish editions at all and I think the key through here will be to try and communicate as well as possible how you can get them and how many there will be so you don't miss out.
Old 25th January 2012, 09:30 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chad View Post
I'm sorry but 'much lower price of 19.19 is still pricy. What were they before the change in packaging. I can't afford these prices until they drop in price on amazon. For 19.99 it should be buy one get one free.
Especially since. according to it's initial release thread it had the same RRP. Inflation I guess...
Prince_Vajda likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!