Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th April 2012, 04:17 PM
Cultist

Thanks for telling the differences more detailed. It`s too bad they couldn't` sync the European dub. Then we could listen and compare to found out our preference.
Old 30th April 2012, 04:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quite a bit more of a difference than I remembered, and I´m actually starting to look forward to see it with the US dub instead.

One bad thing about the soundmix of the Euro dub on the old Anchor Bay dvd was when the Accept song, "Fast as a Shark", starts playing during the fight with our hero on the dirtbike, and the music was way to low in the mix compared to the VHS version that I was used to, where the music was REALLY blasting through the speakers. Hopefully that song is mixed loud on the US dub on this disc. This kinda reminds me of how horrible most of the Anchor Bay 5.1 remixes was. The same with their disc of Tenebre, where the original 2.0 track sounded MUCH better than the overcooked 5.1 track.

Only two more weeks...again
Old 30th April 2012, 04:34 PM
Cultist in Training

Send a message via AIM to evilzombie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBo View Post
Thanks for telling the differences more detailed. It`s too bad they couldn't` sync the European dub. Then we could listen and compare to found out our preference.
There are actually far, far more little details that are throughout the film. I actually made a "fan dub" where I wanted to use some of the original European track and change where there would be any differences - but there were so many it was just easier to sync the US dub entirely.

Another cool little difference is at the end of film, after the credits roll, you hear the demons roar and growl. I always thought that was such an effective way to close the credits...the implementation of the demonic plague continuing its rampage even after the credits roll.

The other scene that again plays much more smoother is the scene where the group breaks into the projection booth, the song is playing right as the scene starts in the European dub but actually doesn't kick in until they kick the door in on the US dub. It again implies that sense of chaos and danger whereas the European dub just makes the scene feel...routine in a way.

Again, I'm coming from the perspective of having this dub as my normal track watching the film. It's how I experienced the film and it's always stuck with me the way it is presented here. The European version always felt off, even though the differences really when taken into consideration weren't huge.

I guess in a way that I could put it so folks could understand, seeing DEMONS on the original Anchor Bay disc with the European dub was like seeing THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD on the DVD with the altered soundtrack. The film just didn't feel right, you knew there was something off and it changed the film in a way.

While I've managed to accept and honestly not mind the changes implemented in ROTLD, I could never adjust to those made in DEMONS as there were just so many that felt like they had cheapened the film for me somehow.
Old 30th April 2012, 05:40 PM
Cult Rookie

To those who have the discs, does demons one still have that demon growl when the logo appears and gets scratched out?...love that!
Old 30th April 2012, 05:43 PM
Cultist in Training

Send a message via AIM to evilzombie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
To those who have the discs, does demons one still have that demon growl when the logo appears and gets scratched out?...love that!
That was already confirmed a few posts back, it is there.
Old 30th April 2012, 06:04 PM
Cultist in Training

what actually was the problem with sinking up the euro dub to the blu ray sorry if this has been asked before

the changes don't sound to bad to be honest

and what dub came first i hear many conflicting reports on this

also im sure i remember the dub sounding different when they showed demons 1 on bravo back before bravo resorted to having Danny dire on there all the time they used to show horror movies a lot that was the 1st time i saw the movie and when i saw the dvd in the big case it did sound different to me but then again that could be in my head as it was years ago when bravo showed demons so it could be in my head

if you look on imdb there are many posts saying they miss the mono dub so there is demand for it

i wanna get the blu ray at some point but im skint so i may wait for the price to come down a little bit 1st

but this is a must buy for me

just a suggestion to arrow you could do a unofficial demons 3 box set containing all the films that where called or meant to be demons 3 like the church the ogre and whatever else there is called or was going to be called demons 3
Steel76 and PaulD like this.
Old 30th April 2012, 06:08 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezombiedead View Post
just a suggestion to arrow you could do a unofficial demons 3 box set containing all the films that where called or meant to be demons 3 like the church the ogre and whatever else there is called or was going to be called demons 3
I like this idea a lot!
Old 30th April 2012, 08:15 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezombiedead View Post
what actually was the problem with sinking up the euro dub to the blu ray sorry if this has been asked before
http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/224975-post126.html

A little note from Arrow re: the sound:

Quote:
We tried to synch all the audio tracks available to us – Stereo, mono, US alt dub mix as provided by a CL member and only the mono would synch. The other tracks sadly were drifting far too much, to the point that even the Italian post synch dubbing was not acceptable. However the mono tracks we have sound impressive and we think the fans will be pleased.

So there you go. Arrow have chosen the mono because it's the best quality one for their release after extensive testing.

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/225176-post135.html

More information the sound:

Spoke to Arrow about this earlier (seriously, I'm sure they're getting sick of me) and they had been reading the comments on here since I posted yesterday. Here's what they had to say:

Quote:
Indeed, synching dialogue is ‘easy’ (within reason obviously) but as our version of Demons is from the original camera negative is does contains a few seconds which prevented audio from other sources, which all derive from versions released through the years without those seconds which has prevented the audio from synching. The result would have meant audio holes and points where the audio wavers, way past the standards of Italian post-synch dubbing.

We could not, unfortunately, restore the original magnetic track because of budget constraints which only stretched to restoring picture. This was a huge undertaking for us – one we normally wouldn’t do. Like most distributors we depend on licensors and producers to do their own remastering which we buy into at a fraction of the cost since it is shared over the world. Going back to the negative is very expensive, especially, for an independent label. As such, we sadly couldn't stretch to adding in the very expensive audio costs.

Had we known this from the start that we wouldn’t be able to get our existing stereo track to synch, we would have had a re-think about our options but then hindsight is always 20/20!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzombie20 View Post
There are actually far, far more little details that are throughout the film. I actually made a "fan dub" where I wanted to use some of the original European track and change where there would be any differences - but there were so many it was just easier to sync the US dub entirely.

Another cool little difference is at the end of film, after the credits roll, you hear the demons roar and growl. I always thought that was such an effective way to close the credits...the implementation of the demonic plague continuing its rampage even after the credits roll.

The other scene that again plays much more smoother is the scene where the group breaks into the projection booth, the song is playing right as the scene starts in the European dub but actually doesn't kick in until they kick the door in on the US dub. It again implies that sense of chaos and danger whereas the European dub just makes the scene feel...routine in a way.

Again, I'm coming from the perspective of having this dub as my normal track watching the film. It's how I experienced the film and it's always stuck with me the way it is presented here. The European version always felt off, even though the differences really when taken into consideration weren't huge.

I guess in a way that I could put it so folks could understand, seeing DEMONS on the original Anchor Bay disc with the European dub was like seeing THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD on the DVD with the altered soundtrack. The film just didn't feel right, you knew there was something off and it changed the film in a way.

While I've managed to accept and honestly not mind the changes implemented in ROTLD, I could never adjust to those made in DEMONS as there were just so many that felt like they had cheapened the film for me somehow.
Interesting.
Old 30th April 2012, 08:57 PM
Cultist in Training

so they could not synch it up because there are a couple of seconds added hear and there

i wonder what these couple of seconds are
Old 30th April 2012, 08:59 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Just out of interest, is anyone able to post a few screengrabs from the bluray?
Steel76 and LoBo like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!