Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Arrow continue to release Limited versions of Arrow Video titles?
Yes 159 79.90%
No 40 20.10%
Voters: 199. This poll is closed

Like Tree87Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just to further add to what I said above, I think if Arrow keep releasing the odd Steelbook on top of the Limited Edition and the Unlimited Edition things could get a little confusing for the consumer. Three editions of one title at release, all with various prices and attributes. We've already seen with Demons lots of confliction and moaning. Add in the Unlimited Editions when they're eventually in sync in August, and I think for the uninitiated (and perhaps even the retailer) things will become confusing, and will perhaps even impact spur of the moment sales.

Personally I'm happy with Unlimited Editions and the odd Steelbook. Clearly I seem to be in the minority though .
MECHAGODPHILLA likes this.
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:10 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

My answer to the initial question: yes, of course!

Cult films released in white boxes with a poster and a slipcase. That's how Arrow Video gained fame, and that's what Arrow Video is associated with.

Get rid of it, and Arrow will be one little ordinary label amongst others.

Greetings!
Demdike@Cult Labs and Murnau like this.
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:20 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post

Cult films released in white boxes with a poster and a slipcase. That's how Arrow Video gained fame, and that's what Arrow Video is associated with.

Greetings!
If what sets Arrow apart from the other labels is a white slipcase and a poster surely that's not something to be proud of.
What should set them apart from the others is quality releases of quality movies.

While I agree that brand identity is a good thing and Arrow blu-rays do have the white boxes associated with and people expect them, you're not seemingly giving the actual releases any credit.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:05 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I'm another who is slightly torn between both options.

Whilst I love the four paneled releases and can see some of Arrow's brand identity slipping away with the conversion to the Unlimited Edition, it's definitely a matter of longevity in regards to Arrow Video as a viable business (look at what happened to NoShame ).

As many others have said, it is the film that matters the most, and the Unlimited Edition becoming the standard would certainly help Arrow cut costs on both packaging and having to release a separate DVD of the title in question. We may then see more titles being released because of these savings on packaging.

Also, the Unlimited Edition is still a great package, in my opinion - certainly equaling the likes of Eureka and BFI in regards to the double play edition complete with booklet in the clear case, but with the addition of the flip-side artwork. Again, there are not many cult labels employing this value-for-money package set up (Synapse do come close).

I'm another who doesn't bother with the posters, although the artcards were a great addition to the few titles they were included with.

I'd hate to see Arrow Video go under for the sake of a bit of cardboard and paper...
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

As a dvd only customer, i guess i'll be waiting for the Arrowdrome releases.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:18 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post

Greetings!
I have to agree. Many reviews I have seen in magazines in the past about Arrow are that they go the extra mile on posters slipcases etc.

For me it won't be as special or unique
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
As a dvd only customer, i guess i'll be waiting for the Arrowdrome releases.
I could be wrong, but I doubt whether they'll be any for the titles that are released in double play format.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:19 PM
Active Cultist

I like the idea of the double play editions because I regularly lend films to friends and not many of them have blu ray capabilities. Also, I like the ability to watch a movie anywhere (on my laptop, at a friends, etc) so the added DVD makes that possible for me.

Personally I really like the posters and will be sorry to see them go if I decide to buy the unlimited editions, however I have no interest in art cards or comic books.
Sarah@Cult Labs and BAKA like this.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I could be wrong, but I doubt whether they'll be any for the titles that are released in double play format.
Arrow are well known for multiple re-releases. I doubt this will stop.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:32 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Arrow are well known for multiple re-releases. I doubt this will stop.
I think b_e is right.

I can't see many ArrowDrome DVDs being released of films available on Dual Format Arrow Video releases as this would undermine their sales.

If the Unlimited releases are successful and stick around, my guess would be that ArrowDrome would become reserved for non-Arrow Video titles e.g. titles where the materials aren't good enough for Blu-ray etc.

Like this? Share it using the links below!