Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Arrow continue to release Limited versions of Arrow Video titles?
Yes 159 79.90%
No 40 20.10%
Voters: 199. This poll is closed

Like Tree87Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain dead View Post
If what sets Arrow apart from the other labels is a white slipcase and a poster surely that's not something to be proud of.
What should set them apart from the others is quality releases of quality movies.

While I agree that brand identity is a good thing and Arrow blu-rays do have the white boxes associated with and people expect them, you're not seemingly giving the actual releases any credit.
You know what the real trick is? Arrow became widely noticed due to that packaging (including the option for fans to participate in the design) - AND then the contents turned out to be spectacular too - it is a tight combination of excellence that drives me to regularly click on the buy button at anazon - oh wait, it has to be the pre-order button for most films as they tend not to ship them to German addresses after release day I just had the experience again with that click, I found out that I had not ordered the House By the Cemetary limited BD yet - stress on "had not yet" - not true anymore
Old 22nd March 2012, 02:19 PM
Cultist

I voted 'Yes', as I'd like to see the Limited Edition/Slipcased releases continue, however, I must admit I made this decision more for continuity of the collection, rather than anything else.
I must say that I am not at all bothered about having the Posters (every single one so far (inc. the ones in the dvd releases) have stayed folded up inside the cases).
The Booklets are a must though, and if Arrow decide to, or need to go with the Unlimited Edition to stay in business, than I'd be much happier to have a release with a standard case (and booklet) rather than no release at all!

The Slipcases (although prone to damage) and multi-option art do look nice but at the end of the day, I, like most other people, probably store the majority of their DVD's/BD's on the shelf in the normal manner - i.e spine out - therefore it makes no difference what art panel you're displaying as you can't see it anyway!

What's in my mind at the moment is that if we did see a switch to Unlimited Editions only, than for the (OCD) Collectors like myself, I feel that these will look out of place alongside the Slipcased releases but then again, I have 19 of the Arrow Dvd only releases, and these look great on the shelf so I'm sure in 10, 20 or however many more releases down the line, a whole batch of Unlimited/Standard BD Case releases will, I am sure look just as good.

At the end of the day, Arrow need to go with whatever is best - so long as it means they are still around to release films for a long time to come.
Old 22nd March 2012, 02:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
I think b_e is right.

I can't see many ArrowDrome DVDs being released of films available on Dual Format Arrow Video releases as this would undermine their sales.

If the Unlimited releases are successful and stick around, my guess would be that ArrowDrome would become reserved for non-Arrow Video titles e.g. titles where the materials aren't good enough for Blu-ray etc.
You may well be right.

If i read the opening posts correctly, this issue is only about the blu editions, as they were being released twice maybe,stand alone dvd's have not been mentioned.
Old 22nd March 2012, 02:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

Well, I voted 'no' on this one. It's not that I have any problem with the limiteds, it's just that if I stop to think about it do I really want to pay an extra £5 for a bit of white cardboard and a teeny tiny poster that I will never use, much less look at in many cases. Personally, I really liked the look of the unlimited editions when they showed us the picture, and I have never thought 'you know what BFI and MOC really need - a bit of cardboard wrapped around them. Yeah, that would be awesome'.

Here are the reasons why I have come to my decision:

1. Money is really tight for me right now - as it is, I imagine, for many of us - and the cheaper Arrow can make their releases, the more I can afford to buy and sooner, too. At the end of the day I believe that this will be better for the company in the long run.

2. A lower price will no doubt increase the chances of impulse and blind buys, which once again must be better for Arrow.

3. To be quite honest, a limited edition should be more than just a slip cover and a poster. Battle Royale was my idea of a true limited edition that really offered something above and beyond the standard edition. That is one of the nicest BD sets that I have ever seen from anyone, and it is still probably the nicest edition in my collection. I would much rather see more of those in future!

4. The slip covers always arrive damaged anyway. I think I have probably received three at most that have arrived without some sort of crease or dent. People use this argument about steelbooks, too, but metal is stronger than paper.

Sooo, it was a toughy ... but if I think with my head I'm afraid I have to say drop the slipcase and poster. It's just a couple of bits of paper, folks.
Old 22nd March 2012, 03:10 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream demon View Post
To be quite honest, a limited edition should be more than just a slip cover and a poster. Battle Royale was my idea of a true limited edition that really offered something above and beyond the standard edition. That is one of the nicest BD sets that I have ever seen from anyone, and it is still probably the nicest edition in my collection. I would much rather see more of those in future!
I agree. To my knowledge the "Slipcase" releases have only just been refered to as "Limited" with the introduction of the "Unlimited" (without slipcase) release.

Personally, I don't class the "Slipcase" release as a "Limited" ~ I see them as the standard Blu release; and like yourself would rather see more "Special Limited" releases like the Battle Royale.

I assume that when sales die down on a title, Arrow can't really afford to splash out on the additional packaing ~ giving birth to the "Unlimited".

So the issue really is; can they drop the slipcase and poster and add a DVD?

Same artwork, same quality, same extras. I vote to lose the slipcase and poster ~ go Dual.

Oh, and do another "Special Limited"
Old 22nd March 2012, 04:17 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I do have one stipulation if Arrow do decide to do away with the limited editions. Run the reverse artwork passed myself and Reaper please. We'll let you know if it's up to scratch.

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 22nd March 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 22nd March 2012, 04:19 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MECHAGODPHILLA View Post
I agree. To my knowledge the "Slipcase" releases have only just been refered to as "Limited" with the introduction of the "Unlimited" (without slipcase) release.

Personally, I don't class the "Slipcase" release as a "Limited" ~ I see them as the standard Blu release; and like yourself would rather see more "Special Limited" releases like the Battle Royale.

I assume that when sales die down on a title, Arrow can't really afford to splash out on the additional packaing ~ giving birth to the "Unlimited".

So the issue really is; can they drop the slipcase and poster and add a DVD?

Same artwork, same quality, same extras. I vote to lose the slipcase and poster ~ go Dual.

Oh, and do another "Special Limited"
Won't be the same artwork though, we'd lose 2 panels (I love having a choice of 4).
Old 22nd March 2012, 04:36 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Won't be the same artwork though, we'd lose 2 panels (I love having a choice of 4).
True. Although someone else mentioned eariler ~ you can't really see it when it's on the shelf. It's nice to have four, but two is good for me (I always keep the new artwork).

Plus with the clear boxes on the Dual - you'll be able to see the reverse when you open the it. :-)
Old 22nd March 2012, 04:42 PM
Cultist

It seems to me that maybe they are hopefully looking to have people prefer the 'unlimited' releases as a cost cutting venture, so as to plough more finance into making available more titles, i really don't have a problem with the planned duel editions,as some of you have said the poster and slipcase are not a major draw for me, it's the film that seals the sale, the idea of the ltd editions also should be geared more towards the presentation of say the care that the 'Battle royale' ltd edition had, numbered of course, these to me are the real ltd editions and so become a true collector's piece, to be honest i would much prefer Arrow to have savings to give us a bigger release selection titles, double sided sleeves are cool with me, again this is just my opinion...
Old 22nd March 2012, 04:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I do have one stipulation if Arrow do decide to to away with the limited editions. Run the reverse artwork passed myself and Reaper please. We'll let you know if it's up to scratch.
Makes sense!

Seriously though,I don't mind paying extra for limited editions,so I voted yes.

And by the looks of that poll,a lot of people agree.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!