Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   The Film Books Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/215-film-books-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd September 2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rondadoronron (Post 416146)
And he's a poor tipper..........:(

I'm bloody not.

The 2:15 at York came through for me, as did the 3:50 at Haydock. :hat:

Susan Foreman 4th September 2014 09:33 AM

This is bad news

'Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide' to Cease Publication | Criticwire

Leonard Maltin's 'Movie Guide' says goodbye - CNN.com

Leonard Maltin's book has been part of my life, since I got the 1977 edition for my birthday

Every year I would get the latest copy, and spend the best part of a month going thru it, ticking off the titles I had seen!

It's still an essential reference guide for me, taking pride of place next to the television

Rondadoronron 13th September 2014 06:38 AM

middle aged zombie delinquent nigtmatres

5 Attachment(s)
books
Big shout out to me main man slowy innit,for da recomends...respect

Attachment 144525Attachment 144526Attachment 144527Attachment 144528Attachment 144529

Demoncrat 13th September 2014 10:50 AM

Reread Peter Nicholls' Fantastic Cinema - An Illustrated Survey.

A book that turned me onto many odd films in my earlier days hasn't aged well, what with his rather sniffy and unresearched attitude towards certain areas, apparently all Italian horror films are giallo etc. Also he discounts Fulci on the strength of just 4 films (guess which ones?), which is criminal, but I suppose par for the course for a book from 84, where he intimates that censorship is a good thing....cough.

Okay, so this is me just spotting the flaws after years of delving into euro horror, but his lauding of Spielberg just grinds my gears. Still, the filmography at the back is still full of things I want to see (Julie & Celine Go Boating, Savages etc) but for his somewhat dated views pass...though he does decsribe Dr Doolittle as "a real mess, dragging along like a cripple" which you wouldn't get away with nowadays surely.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th September 2014 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Works are selling Roger Moore's new hardback for £6.99.

It was only published 9 days ago.

Make Them Die Slowly 7th October 2014 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stephen Thrower's book on Jesus Franco is up for pre order on Amazon.

Boo Radley 7th October 2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 420390)

I thought this was going to be a FAB press release and have been waiting for an announcement of a special signed limited edition or some such thing.
Essential purchase for me but I'm going to have to see if they got any "special editions" first!:nod:

Make Them Die Slowly 7th October 2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Radley (Post 420393)
I thought this was going to be a FAB press release and have been waiting for an announcement of a special signed limited edition or some such thing.
Essential purchase for me but I'm going to have to see if they got any "special editions" first!:nod:

I thought FAB were releasing it too. Strange Attractor seem an odd company to publish it as they, in the main, deal with esoteric subjects and weirdness. Nothing on their website about the release...

Make Them Die Slowly 18th October 2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 420390)

Release date has been moved back to next year, early spring.:hailwitch:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th October 2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 422007)
Release date has been moved back to next year, early spring.:hailwitch:

I had that email today as well.

In a way it's better when you're buying it yourself that it doesn't fall just prior to Christmas. :skull:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th October 2014 07:25 PM

Me too.

I had originally planned to give it to myself for a birthday present though... I'm going to be so disappointed. :pout:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th October 2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 422021)
Me too.

I had originally planned to give it to myself for a birthday present though... I'm going to be so disappointed. :pout:

You just can't get the birthday gift givers nowadays can you? :rolleyes:

Make Them Die Slowly 18th October 2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 422021)
Me too.

Not if you don't tell yourself about the delay.

Rondadoronron 24th October 2014 05:37 PM

Alien the Archive: The Ultimate Guide to the Classic Movies

1 Attachment(s)

this may have been mentioned before (but screw them ill mention it again)
just pre ordered.:zombie:

forgot to mention comes out on 31st scary shit

Dave Boy 24th October 2014 06:03 PM

New arrivals......

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/a...db4a78f14c.jpg http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/9...1d908a1d2d.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 422871)

I bet that always falls open at Return of the Jedi. :happy:

Rondadoronron 24th October 2014 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 422872)
I bet that always falls open at Return of the Jedi. :happy:

do we get an up shot of her hairy woookie.:tongue1:

Dave Boy 24th October 2014 07:13 PM

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper Ron" ?

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/ea...a4c31537fd.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 422902)

So that's where the pic originated from - the new book.

It's fairly new to the web.

Rondadoronron 24th October 2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

To make up for my short cummings I use Jedi mind trick,or as the police and the local magistrate called it Rohypnol.:mummy:

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Not anymore. :blush:

Dave Boy 24th October 2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 422903)
So that's where the pic originated from - the new book.

It's fairly new to the web.

That picture is not actually in the book. I had it stored in my own...ahem....private collection. :devilbanana:

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2014 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ron scores again.

Susan Foreman 25th October 2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Does anyone want to donate ££££££££££ for me to recreate this picture?

Please leave money (unmarked and non sequential bills only) behind the pipes in the usual toilet, and the pics will be up within a week!

Make Them Die Slowly 30th October 2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Radley (Post 420393)

Here you go Boo.

Murderous Passions Advance Orders | Strange Attractor

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th October 2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 423732)

£60 notes. :skull:

I'd want it signed by Franco not Stephen Thrower.

demonknight 5th November 2014 03:17 PM

Picked up the Gunnar Hansen book - Chain Saw Confidential. Didn't know this existed until I went browsing in my local bookstore.

Mojo 6th November 2014 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Latest purchase:

Attachment 149069

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th November 2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 424483)
Latest purchase:

Attachment 149069

Is that a little on the lines of the Ten Years of Terror book from Fab Press Mojo?

Or is it essays?

Mojo 6th November 2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 424486)
Is that a little on the lines of the Ten Years of Terror book from Fab Press Mojo?

Or is it essays?

It is a little like 10 Years, but the reviews of each film are more indepth - including behind the scenes info, censorship problems and so on.
I have the first volume ( 1952 - 1970 ) and it was excellent. I 'm already reading this one and it's another terrific read. Definitely recommended.

Dave Boy 9th November 2014 09:11 AM

Picked this up yesterday from Wayne Kinsey at the Hammer Films event in London.

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/5...1699a2c4f4.jpg

A big,heavy duty book. Only available on the website.
Hammer’s Film Legacy | Peveril Publishing

profondo rosso 9th November 2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 424771)

Thanks Davey, I love my Hammer books and saw this, clicked on the link to go ahead with the purchase and saw £15 postage!!!!:shocked:

Nevermind

Rondadoronron 9th November 2014 05:53 PM

heavy

1 Attachment(s)

Perhaps there should be sub thread on heaviest film books,although not the heaviest,I would of thought Stephen throwers nightmare USA was the heaviest,this new arrival certainly weigh abit maybe its written in Alien blood perhaps.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th November 2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rondadoronron (Post 424798)

Perhaps there should be sub thread on heaviest film books,although not the heaviest,I would of thought Stephen throwers nightmare USA was the heaviest,this new arrival certainly weigh abit maybe its written in Alien blood perhaps.

A definite coffee table book.

Or perhaps you make a coffee table out of it. :nod:

profondo rosso 9th November 2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 424771)

After moaning about the postage. I could not resist! only 500 printed sold me. I would want it eventualy and then would have to pay silly money. Also picked up on the same site the Peter Cushing scrapbook, then onto Amazon for Nightmare USA and pre-ordered the Jesus Franco book. This site is costing me more than my ex-wife!.......on second thoughts!!

At least you lot make me smile!:nod:

Dave Boy 11th November 2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 424803)
After moaning about the postage. I could not resist! only 500 printed sold me. I would want it eventualy and then would have to pay silly money. Also picked up on the same site the Peter Cushing scrapbook

Yeah, the postage is high but I'm sure you will not be dissapointed when it arrives. Same for the Peter Cushing Scrapbook. Awesome !

:skull:

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th November 2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 424989)
Yeah, the postage is high but I'm sure you will not be dissapointed when it arrives. Same for the Peter Cushing Scrapbook. Awesome !

:skull:

Dave. :)

How does the Hammer book compare with some of the official Hammer books of recent years?

Basically if i own all those - The Hammer Story, Glamour, The Vault, The Art of, etc, is it anything new?

profondo rosso 11th November 2014 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 424996)

How does the Hammer book compare with some of the official Hammer books of recent years?

Basically if i own all those - The Hammer Story, Glamour, The Vault, The Art of, etc, is it anything new?

I have all those too Dem, but such a limited amount means a great investment! Also I just can not resist anything to do with Hammer, they have been my inspiration since I was smaller than Danny De Vito's danglies and unfortunately, even though skint with xmas coming, I had to have a copy. Your probably right about it repeating most of whats already been printed though, but hopefully I am wrong. It does look a huge tome!!!:shocked:

profondo rosso 18th November 2014 11:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Arrived today, amazing quality, the Hammer book is hernia inducing and the Peter cushing is much more weighty/thicket than I thought it would be, opening up landscape way, so much colour in both and loads of hammer stills etc I have not seen before. Well worth the outlay. The peter cushing book looks fascinating and presented in such a fashion that it will be easy pick up and put down, broken up with reams of colour images, letters, personal drawings, posters. Both Essential for Hammer fans.

Attachment 149595

Dave Boy 20th November 2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 424996)

Like PR said, the book looks fantastic. If you have all the books that came before do you really need it ? Well I have all the books as well and I am glad I made the purchase. I can't resist anything Hammer and as we said it is a huge book of beauty. Anyone who missed out on Wayne's Bray and Elstree books will love this as it covers all the censor notes as well. The book covers each film on it's own rather than a continuous read as with the other books.
The book is now getting low on stock so I would buy now rather than later. You really will not be dissapointed even if you own a load of Hammer books already.