Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   The Film Books Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/215-film-books-thread.html)

Wes 9th November 2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 290848)
Wes,where exactly did you pick up that Paul Naschy book?

You can grab the book direct from Creepy Images and FAB Press are selling it too. I got mine from Creepy Images and it cost just over €50 all in. Expensive, but I think very worth it...

Wes 21st November 2012 08:32 PM

Last post of the night and it's off to bed for me on this stormy night, and another chapter of City of Nets - A Portrait of Hollywood In the 40's. Favourite anecdote so far - Jack Warner painting a huge sign on the roof of one of the studio's soundstages, saying Lockheed That-A-Way, lest Japanese fighter pilots confuse the film studio for the arms manufacturing plant nearby...

http://images.betterworldbooks.com/0...0520209497.jpg

sawyer6 21st November 2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 294372)
Last post of the night and it's off to bed for me on this stormy night, and another chapter of City of Nets - A Portrait of Hollywood In the 40's. Favourite anecdote so far - Jack Warner painting a huge sign on the roof of one of the studio's soundstages, saying Lockheed That-A-Way, lest Japanese fighter pilots confuse the film studio for the arms manufacturing plant nearby...

http://images.betterworldbooks.com/0...0520209497.jpg

I want that!!!

PaulD 1st December 2012 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This came today. Was just under £13 on Amazon too. Had a quick flick through and looks like a great book. Gonna start on it once I finished Alan Jones' revised Argento book.

Rik 1st December 2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 297437)
This came today. Was just under £13 on Amazon too. Had a quick flick through and looks like a great book. Gonna start on it once I finished Alan Jones' revised Argento book.

I have the first pressing of this book, its a great read. I've been thinking about getting the updated version too and I've asked my sister for the Argento book, which I'm really looking forward to browsing through on Xmas morning

PaulD 6th December 2012 12:46 PM

Gah, just lost out on Stephen Thrower's Fulci book on eBay! Was at £18 with no bids until the last minute where it went for £34 = £4 p&p. I went up to £33 out of madness but wasn't prepared to go over that (have some money in Paypal funds due to recent sales on eBay)

Rik 6th December 2012 12:53 PM

It's rare they show up on ebay too these days, luckily I bought mine from Amazon about 10 years ago for just over £20*

*Not trying to rub it in or owt :)

WinterMillennium 6th December 2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 299275)
Gah, just lost out on Stephen Thrower's Fulci book on eBay! Was at £18 with no bids until the last minute where it went for £34 = £4 p&p. I went up to £33 out of madness but wasn't prepared to go over that (have some money in Paypal funds due to recent sales on eBay)

what the unholy...? how did I miss out on that, been trawling eBay for that for years... I would've paid that as well! last copy I saw was in the region of a ton... good news for you though, I have an email from Harvey at Fab Press confirming a re-issue of Beyond Terror 'in the next year or two', can you wait that long? ;)

Rik 6th December 2012 01:12 PM

I'm always on the look out for the FP Bava and original Argento books, which stupidly I held off buying years ago, not realising how expensive they'd end up :mmph:

WinterMillennium 6th December 2012 01:28 PM

I seem to remember I got Art Of Darkness on eBay for about 30 quid... to be fair, unless you're a completist or have an interest in more than one point of view, I'd stick with the updated version of Profondo Argento, that is a thing of beauty

Rik 6th December 2012 02:02 PM

Just been checking out the Fab Press website and they have these items of interest for many of us, unfortunately way out of my price range

harveyfab | eBay

Wes 6th December 2012 02:18 PM

Yeah, I always regretted not picking up FAB's Ten Years of Terror and the nunsploitation book - both way too expensive nowadays even if you can find 'em, but fair dues to FAB, when they say you're buying a limited edition they usually mean it...

the blob 31st December 2012 07:24 PM

Preordered the paperback edition of this today. Would have liked the hardback but it was limited to 100 copies and didn't have the spare cash at the time. Out in March and was only £11.99 at Sainsburys.

Headpress - Product: Offbeat (hardback)

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th January 2013 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I received a gift card for WH Smith for Christmas. I ordered this on Monday with it, and it arrived today.

So, so sexy.

Rik 10th January 2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 311167)
I received a gift card for WH Smith for Christmas. I ordered this on Monday with it, and it arrived today.

So, so sexy.

Very nice, had my eye on that for a while now

jorishorror 10th January 2013 09:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I love these:
Attachment 95936

Attachment 95937

Prince_Vajda 10th January 2013 09:57 PM

Currently enjoying this.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...,-73_OU02_.jpg

I immediately ordered it after I had read Dem's favourable comment on it somewhere else on this forum. :)

Greetings!

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th January 2013 10:00 PM

Some lovely stills aren't there Prince.

That full page of Ingrid in the bath tub is worth the price alone. :nod:

Prince_Vajda 10th January 2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 311243)
Some lovely stills aren't there Prince.

That full page of Ingrid in the bath tub is worth the price alone. :nod:

Yep, one of the best pictures in the book. :nod:

Three more favourites of mine: patriotic Raquel Welch (p.25), nude Sharon Tate (p.49), and Brigitte Bardot in a corset (p.71). :faint: :love: :faint:

http://www.image-nation.org/2012/mov...-welch-jpg.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4...6jy9o1_500.jpg

http://www.hpvf.com/catalog/BrigitteBardot5642.jpg

Greetings!

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th January 2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 311248)
Yep, one of the best pictures in the book. :nod:

http://www.hpvf.com/catalog/BrigitteBardot5642.jpg

Greetings!

Yeah that Bardot pic made me order Viva Maria! on dvd. :doh:

Make Them Die Slowly 10th January 2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 311253)

When I was a child, instead of the usual pictures on the wall above the fireplace, my parents had a massive poster of BB topless in the sea. We had Victorian lesbian erotica in the bathroom and toilet! No wonder I'm so damaged.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th January 2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 311255)
When I was a child, instead of the usual pictures on the wall above the fireplace, my parents had a massive poster of BB topless in the sea. We had Victorian lesbian erotica in the bathroom and toilet! No wonder I'm so damaged.

Bet your mates loved to visit. ;)

Prince_Vajda 10th January 2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 311253)

It's one of my five favourite films of all time! Sexy, funny, lots of action, two great-looking actresses - what's not to love!! :)

http://images3.cinema.de/imedia/9479...RXcA%3D%3D.jpg

Greetings!

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th January 2013 10:34 PM

Excellent news.

I look forward to seeing it now Prince.

Wes 22nd January 2013 07:55 AM

In case you don't get the FAB Press newsletter...

Re-Agitator
A Decade of Writing on Takashi Miike

This new book collects more than ten years' worth of his writing on Miike. From dusty film sets in Japan to festival intrigue on the Riviera, and from the straight-to-video ghetto to the stage, Mes covers the full scope of this unclassifiable filmmaker's life and work - with the kind of detail and intimacy that only an insider can provide.

Fully endorsed by the filmmaker himself, the full-colour Re-Agitator: A Decade of Writing on Takashi Miike also features a provocative foreword and a gallery of unique set photos by longtime Miike collaborator Christian Storms.

This book is NOT Agitator Part 2. It doesn't continue where the first one left off, but rather collects the vast majority of the writing on Miike that Mes has done over the years for magazines, websites, DVD liner notes, in non-English-language books, as well as for festival catalogues. This luxurious coffee-table hardback also contains previously unpublished material, like an interview recorded at the 2005 Venice film festival, plus a piece on 13 Assassins written exclusively for this book.

The first 200 copies bought direct from FAB Press will be individually numbered and autographed by both Takashi Miike, and author Tom Mes. This signed and numbered edition will be available direct from FAB Press only.

More details

http://www.fabpress.com/artwork/large/FAB133.jpg

WinterMillennium 22nd January 2013 08:43 PM

done and done!

Baseball Fury 23rd January 2013 09:50 AM

I'm reading Lynch on Lynch at the minute, fascinating stuff. He'll never say anything about the Eraserhead baby though will he? Even when the interviewer tries to trick him into the tiniest slip he's on to him.

Splatterdragon73 9th February 2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 284257)

Yours truly visited discount bookstore The Works in Gateshead's Metro Centre this morning and snapped up the above tome for half price at just £3.99. Bargain!

There were several copies still on sale for any North-East based members here who may fancy buying one.:)

PaulD 9th February 2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 320307)
Yours truly visited discount bookstore The Works in Gateshead's Metro Centre this morning and snapped up the above tome for half price at just £3.99. Bargain!

There were several copies still on sale for any North-East based members here who may fancy buying one.:)

Damn. Already have that. Ah well :)

bdc 10th March 2013 09:31 AM

BLEEDING SKULL! A 1980s Trash-Horror Odyssey (Trailer 3) - YouTube

bdc 26th March 2013 09:15 PM

"My two absolute favorite books on HK cinema, SEX AND ZEN & A BULLET IN THE HEAD and HOLLYWOOD EAST. Both by Stefan Hammond." (King Who? @ BULLETS OVER CHINATOWN)
I guess great minds think alike? :lol: ;)

demonknight 28th March 2013 04:32 PM

Book delivery this morning,

PittsBurgh film history on set in the steel city
Night, Dawn and Day of the dead get a mention
along with Effects and Savini's Night of the living dead
remake. Other movies get a mention too, but I'm less
familiar with them. Hopefully it'll be a good read :coolblue:

WinterMillennium 28th March 2013 06:08 PM

still awaiting Re-Agitator.... gah!

PaulD 29th March 2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinterMillennium (Post 331203)
still awaiting Re-Agitator.... gah!

I'm really glad you posted this as I was worried about my order as I thought it would have arrived now.

WinterMillennium 29th March 2013 09:42 AM

I got an email from Fab the other day saying that they'll be delayed because they're waiting on Miike to sign them

Quote:

RE-AGITATOR SIGNATURE EDITION

Thank you very much for pre-ordering Re-Agitator: A Decade of Writing on Takashi Miike by Tom Mes.

We originally announced that we would start shipping your order today, the 18th of March. However, we are waiting for Takashi Miike to finish adding his autograph to all 200 signature plates for the exclusive signed copies of the book. He has been on location shooting a new film, and so this is taking longer than we envisioned and hoped for.

You are among the first 200 people who ordered the book, which means you will receive one of these exclusive signed copies. Unfortunately we have no choice but to ask for your patience and understanding.

Our sincerest apologies for the delay. You will be informed as soon as your order is ready to be shipped.

FAB Press Ltd.
18 March 2013

PaulD 29th March 2013 09:50 AM

Ahhh. My order confirmation stated that I also have one of the 200 signed copies but I didn't get that email oddly enough. Hmm..

edit: no, I did! It went to the spam folder.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 29th March 2013 04:07 PM

I was just given the incredible (and mammoth sized) book, John Landis' Monsters In The Movies!

It's a massive hardback, written by Landis containing a number of interviews and a whole bunch of images from horror and sci-fi films. A thing of beauty!

http://www.dk.co.uk/static/spreads/a...66977L_007.jpg

Rik 29th March 2013 04:11 PM

Awesome book, I've lost count the number of times I've stood reading it in WHSmith's, I'll buy it one day :lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th March 2013 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is superb.
I see it's now OOP.

Rik 29th March 2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 331521)
This is superb.
I see it's now OOP.

Another great book, I picked it up from the Bradford Media Museum