Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   The Film Books Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/215-film-books-thread.html)

Susan Foreman 17th October 2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 282836)
Just been having a quick flick through my new book and I've noticed that someone has underlined certain passages in it! Thankfully it's in pencil so I can get rid of it

But are the things that have been underlined important and interesting?

Rik 17th October 2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 283065)
But are the things that have been underlined important and interesting?

Not really, seems random to me, either way it's going when I find a rubber

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th October 2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 283052)
Muchas Gracias Senor Bizarre Eye ! I just ordered my copy now ![/IMG]

No problem! :thumb:

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th October 2012 02:32 PM

Where is the Senor Lobo book available from and is it in english?

Wes 17th October 2012 02:37 PM

Text is in English and German, and you can order it here

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th October 2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 283160)
Text is in English and German, and you can order it here

Thanks Wes. :)

bdc 17th October 2012 06:45 PM

Started reading Thomas Weisser's Asian Cult Cinema book again... ;)
The book has been criticized by fans because of Weisser's "strange reviews" of non-exploitation titles and the fact that he gets the synopsis of many films wrong (did he watch the films?)...but I still find it interesting for all the obscure titles mentioned in the book.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1664/2154120.jpg

Rik 17th October 2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 283251)
Started reading Thomas Weisser's Asian Cult Cinema book again... ;)
The book has been criticized by fans because of Weisser's "strange reviews" of non-exploitation titles and the fact that he gets the synopsis of many films wrong (did he watch the films?)...but I still find it interesting for all the obscure titles mentioned in the book.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1664/2154120.jpg

When are you writing yours B? ;)

Wes 17th October 2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 283251)
Started reading Thomas Weisser's Asian Cult Cinema book again... ;) The book has been criticized by fans because of Weisser's "strange reviews" of non-exploitation titles and the fact that he gets the synopsis of many films wrong (did he watch the films?)...but I still find it interesting for all the obscure titles mentioned in the book.

That reminds me of an entry in Michael Weldon's Psychotronic Video Guide - reviewing Aguirre Wrath of God, Weldon writes: Klaus Kinski plays Aguirre and doesn't appear until the end of the film" - a strange observation considering Kinski is in almost every scene of that film :crazy:

Splatterdragon73 18th October 2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 283045)
So's mine, as I've been told that I'm not allowed it until my birthday!

I trust your copy came with one of the aforementioned publicity material envelopes? Mine's number 101 of 200 and i've yet to open it.

My MGSL volume is currently in with the rest of my 'to read' purchases and this pile is going back a few months!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 283046)
I never knew that there was a third Giallo Scrapbook. I have the first two, and they are a very good overview of the genre.

The third GS isn't published yet and has been in the pipeline for quite some time but it's still displayed on MM's website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 283052)
Muchas Gracias Senor Bizarre Eye ! I just ordered my copy now !

http://www.creepy-images.com/shop/im...mages/21_8.jpg

Money well spent imo and if you collect Creepy Images you'll know what to expect.;)

VicDakin 18th October 2012 04:15 PM

me taking a slash

1 Attachment(s)
me taking a slash

Attachment 86947

Rik 18th October 2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 283572)
me taking a slash

Attachment 86947

Is it any good, mine hasn't arrived yet?

VicDakin 18th October 2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 283573)
Is it any good, mine hasn't arrived yet?

Seems ok for the money,Ive only dipped in,A to Z seems to cover more than slasher films,zombies,hammer movies abit of everything really not exactly indepth but ok.

Rik 18th October 2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 283579)
Seems ok for the money,Ive only dipped in,A to Z seems to cover more than slasher films,zombies,hammer movies abit of everything really not exactly indepth but ok.

Fair do's, not bad for a cheap buy then

VicDakin 18th October 2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 283582)
Fair do's, not bad for a cheap buy then

Yeah,just noticed on some reviews it gives the budget and cinema receipts which is quite interesting

Rik 18th October 2012 04:31 PM

Cool, hopefully mine will arrive tomorrow then

Rik 20th October 2012 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This just arrived with a ****ing great big sticker on the front that's gonna take ages to get off, stupid bastards!

Attachment 87325

bdc 20th October 2012 11:23 AM

Maybe try a hairdryer first and then start peeling?

Rik 20th October 2012 11:33 AM

I've peeled it off, just trying to get rid of the glue now, bit of warm water and a careful hand usually does the trick. Ironically it was a sticker from Play.com with the returns address on, something I would need if it ended up ripped!

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th October 2012 06:50 PM

The Slasher Book seems ok to me. The kind of book that can go and hang out next to my second favourite seat in the house. :lol:

Wes 24th October 2012 10:04 AM

Deleted post !

bdc 27th October 2012 06:39 PM

Recently picked this up for a mate and had a quick peek/read.

I'd say it's certainly very interesting if you're just getting into one (or more) of the mentioned film genres:

"Appraising over 400 movies, Cinema Italiano unearths the best of Italian cinema. Dario Argento's 'gialli' thrillers and Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns are explored alongside the best films of Luchino Visconti, Federico Fellini, Pier Paolo Pasolini and Michelangelo Antonioni. Chapters discuss the rise and fall of genres such as mythological epics, gothic horrors, science-fiction, spy films, WWII movies, costume adventures, zombie films, swashbucklers, political cinema, spaghetti westerns and 'poliziotteschi' crime films. The book also traces the directorial careers and key films of such luminaries as Mario Bava, Sergio Corbucci, Francesco Rosi, Lucio Fulci, Duccio Tessari, Enzo G. Castellari, Bernardo Bertolucci and Gillo Pontecorvo."

"Films include: La dolce vita, Hercules Conquers Atlantis, The Leopard, The Horrible Secret of Dr Hichcock, Contempt, The Gospel According to St Matthew, Castle of Blood, Fists in the Pocket, Django, Battle of Algiers, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Blowup, Diabolik, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, The Conformist, They Call Me Trinity, Violent City, The Marseilles Connection, Illustrious Corpses, Suspiria, The Big Silence, The Mask of Satan, Maciste in Hell, Blood and Black Lace, Hercules Against the Moon Men, The Last Man on Earth, The Wild, Wild Planet, Special Mission Lady Chaplin, Django Kill!, Fellini Satyricon, Deep Red, Sons of Thunder, Tentacles, The Inglorious Bastards, Zombie Flesh Eaters, Puma Man, 1990: Bronx Warriors, 8½, Once Upon a Time in the West, L'Avventura, Black Sabbath, Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion, Amarcord, Two Women, Planet of the Vampires, Death in Venice, Starcrash, Salvatore Giuliano, Hercules Unchained, Kill, Baby...Kill!" (Cinemaretro)

Cinema Italiano: The Complete Guide From Classics to Cult - Howard Hughes I.B Taurus Books (2011) 328 pages

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg

Rik 27th October 2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 287113)

I've been meaning to pick this up for ages, another one added to the Christmas list :rolleyes:

PaulD 28th October 2012 06:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got these for my birthday

Attachment 88251
Attachment 88252

bdc 28th October 2012 10:58 AM

Teenage Wasteland contains spoilers in the reviews so beware... ;)

demonknight 28th October 2012 11:21 AM

That senor lobo book on PN looks nice,where did you buy?

Sobral 28th October 2012 08:43 PM

It's available here: CREEPY IMAGES - The world's 1st fanzine entirely devoted to rare and hard to find movie posters and lobby cards

demonknight 28th October 2012 09:21 PM

Thanks for that.

Paul@TheOverlook 28th October 2012 09:25 PM

Cinema Italiano and Teenage Wasteland are both great.

I'm currently reading Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobiography, Total Recall, which is a good read.

VicDakin 29th October 2012 08:57 PM

A Pictorial History of Horror Movies

2 Attachment(s)
A Pictorial History of Horror Movies by Denis Gifford

Not reading this im afraid,but noticed it on the floor in the kids bedroom in Deadly Spawn.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th October 2012 09:18 PM

I have that book.

It doesn't have a dust cover. I think it was sold by Marks and Spencer at Christmas time back in the day.

Wes 2nd November 2012 04:29 PM

If anyone wants a peek inside the Paul Naschy book I put up a bunch of pics on the bloggie. I didn't want to post 'em here as they are slightly big...

First look at Muchas Gracia Senor Lobo

well just one so...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uYhUNScSd8...600/lobo10.jpg

Slippery Jack 8th November 2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 288895)
If anyone wants a peek inside the Paul Naschy book I put up a bunch of pics on the bloggie.

Cool. I was just thinking of getting this. The ebay seller is based in Germany - to you get hit with customs charges buying stuff within the EU :confused: The book's already expensive enough . . .

Wes 8th November 2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 290731)
Cool. I was just thinking of getting this. The ebay seller is based in Germany - to you get hit with customs charges buying stuff within the EU :confused: The book's already expensive enough . . .

I can only speak for Ireland, but I'm sure its the same for the UK - EU member states do not pay customs charges for transactions back and forth, so there will be no customs charge for a book coming from Germany.

Slippery Jack 8th November 2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 290734)
I can only speak for Ireland, but I'm sure its the same for the UK - EU member states do not pay customs charges for transactions back and forth, so there will be no customs charge for a book coming from Germany.

That's what I wanted to hear :woot:

I'll order this weekend when I've sold some ebay stuff to cover it.

Did you pre-order and get the mystery free gift btw . . . ?

bdc 8th November 2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 290731)

No customs charges within the EU (best to check which countries are members though).

Member states of the EU (so far).
(year of entry)

Austria (1995)
Belgium (1952)
Bulgaria (2007)
Cyprus (2004)
Czech Republic (2004)
Denmark (1973)
Estonia (2004)
Finland (1995)
France (1952)
Germany (1952)
Greece (1981)
Hungary (2004)
Ireland (1973)
Italy (1952)
Latvia (2004)
Lithuania (2004)
Luxembourg (1952)
Malta (2004)
Netherlands (1952)
Poland (2004)
Portugal (1986)
Romania (2007)
Slovakia (2004)
Slovenia (2004)
Spain (1986)
Sweden (1995)
United Kingdom (1973)

Wes 8th November 2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 290737)
That's what I wanted to hear :woot:

I'll order this weekend when I've sold some ebay stuff to cover it.

Did you pre-order and get the mystery free gift btw . . . ?

No free gift Jack but I was glad to get the book anyway, I'd say this will have a limited print run - this time next year, it will probably be on eBay for megabucks. It really is a stunning book and worth the price...

Slippery Jack 8th November 2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 290740)
No free gift Jack but I was glad to get the book anyway, I'd say this will have a limited print run - this time next year, it will probably be on eBay for megabucks. It really is a stunning book and worth the price...

Yeah I think it will overload my brain with poster inspiration :shocked: . . .

VicDakin 8th November 2012 07:59 PM

Behind the Scenes at the BBFC: Film Classification from the Silver Screen to the Digi

1 Attachment(s)
Behind the Scenes at the BBFC: Film Classification from the Silver Screen to the Digital Age.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet,could be intersting?

Attachment 89899

Quote:

Established by the film industry in 1912 as the nation's only official and independent classifier of the moving image, the British Board of Film Classification (originally the British Board of Film Censors) has long been a source of fascination -- and sometimes a bone of contention -- for filmgoers, filmmakers and industry figures. This new book, published in the BBFC's centenary year, addresses Britain's film classification history, and marks an unparalleled collaboration between the Board and leading film critics, historians and cultural commentators.

These writers, given unprecedented access to the BBFC's archives, chart the organisation's history alongside the cultural, social and political forces that have helped shape it. Together they explore shifting public attitudes towards cinema's portrayal of sex and drugs, horror and violence; the different perspectives of the Board's successive leaders; the impact of controversial decisions, and the ever-changing nature of moving image distribution and exhibition.

The book also features unique case studies, written by BBFC staff, focusing on significant films that have provoked debate and controversy both within the BBFC and more widely - Battleship Potemkin, The Snake Pit, A Clockwork Orange, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and many more.

Behind the Scenes at the BBFC: Film Classification from the Silver Screen to the Digital Age is an entertaining and invaluable insight into shifts in public attitudes over the last century, and how film classification shapes what we see on screen.

demonknight 8th November 2012 08:05 PM

Wes,where exactly did you pick up that Paul Naschy book?