Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   The Film Books Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/215-film-books-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th December 2017 04:03 PM

It looks really nice. Thank you.

Reminds me a bit of Ralph McQuarrie's classic work.

If i like the film it may be one to invest in.

profondo rosso 16th December 2017 07:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For any one interested in Fright Night this looks a fab book, limited to 1000 they only have 8 left. Note there is slight corner damage though if anyone plumps for it.

Attachment 199965

You’re So Cool, Brewster!
$29.95

Featuring:
– 278 full color pages
– Interviews with over 35 members of the original cast and crew,
– including archive interviews from Roddy McDowall
– Behind the scene of ‘Fright Night’ and ‘Fright Night Part 2’
– Over 300 behind the scenes photos
– Introduction by Andy Nyman (Deadset)
– Foreword by Reece Shearsmith (Inside No.9)
– Exclusive cover art by Graham Humphreys
– Collectors Hardback Edition
– Limited to 1,000 copies.
– And Much more…

Please note, these books have slight wear on the corners from shipping.

8 in stock

link:

You're So Cool, Brewster! - Tom Holland's Terror Time

Rob4 18th December 2017 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 554819)

i didn't know until this week that the hardback edition of American Gothic has an extra 110 pages. i was always going to upgrade but now i'm going to make sure its on the reading pile straight after xmas :sleighride:

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th February 2018 07:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm currently reading Jonathan Sothcott's (Yes that Jonathan Sothcott - Brit trash producer auteur and bud of Sir Daniel of Dyer) - The Cult Films of Christopher Lee.

In comparison to the last film book i finished last weekend, Jonathan Rigby's Euro Gothic, Sothcott's prose feels like reading a Mister Men book.

It's certainly an easy read and rather enjoyable, in fact my only complaint is that the numerous colour plates are not captioned. That's fair enough as i am familiar with all the films discussed in the book but others without my years of reading and watching may not be so enlightened. However that's my only grumble so far, that and perhaps the design and layout which smacks of indie publishers.

There are one or two things i have learned such as Terence Fisher disliked The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll as much as i did, although Sothcott seemed to enjoy it a hell of a lot more than myself and the director.

Eagle eyed folk may notice Roger Moore was but a CBE when this book was published in 2000.

That isn't my shadow on the Horror Express still by the way. It's part of the photo.

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th February 2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 565612)
I'm currently reading Jonathan Sothcott's (Yes that Jonathan Sothcott - Brit trash producer auteur and bud of Sir Daniel of Dyer) - The Cult Films of Christopher Lee.

In comparison to the last film book i finished last weekend, Jonathan Rigby's Euro Gothic, Sothcott's prose feels like reading a Mister Men book.

It's certainly an easy read and rather enjoyable, in fact my only complaint is that the numerous colour plates are not captioned. That's fair enough as i am familiar with all the films discussed in the book but others without my years of reading and watching may not be so enlightened. However that's my only grumble so far, that and perhaps the design and layout which smacks of indie publishers.

There are one or two things i have learned such as Terence Fisher disliked The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll as much as i did, although Sothcott seemed to enjoy it a hell of a lot more than myself and the director.

Eagle eyed folk may notice Roger Moore was but a CBE when this book was published in 2000.

That isn't my shadow on the Horror Express still by the way. It's part of the photo.

Jonathan’s a top bloke. May have to seek that book out and give it a read sometime.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th February 2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 565630)
Jonathan’s a top bloke. May have to seek that book out and give it a read sometime.

He suggests Hammer's Dracula might well be 'the greatest horror film ever made'.

I agree with him there.

I like that he puts his own thoughts into the films which some similar authors don't always do.

I'm enjoying it, not sure why it's taken me 18 years to get round to reading it.

Susan Foreman 10th February 2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 565612)

Of course it's part of the photo. Everyone here knows you don't cast a shadow

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th February 2018 06:47 PM

Jonathan Sothcott has hit a new low in his book on Christopher Lee.

He says of The Devil Rides Out.
Quote:

The Devil Rides Out is today regarded by the public as one of Hammer's best films, which it most certainly is not.

There are two basic problems with this film - first and foremost, the script, second, the cast.
It's not a joke either. He then goes on to dissect the film and finally claims Wheatley's novel is one of the "Very best horror stories ever written"

Rik 13th February 2018 06:59 PM

Seriously? I couldn’t finish the novel last time I tried reading it, bored the crap out of me! And, the film is definitely one of Hammers best non Dracula/Frankenstein films, he clearly knows bugger all :lol:

profondo rosso 13th February 2018 07:03 PM

I have to seek out this book Dem. Must say I agree the novel is fantastic although disagree the film is one of the weakest, its one if their best in my eyes.

profondo rosso 13th February 2018 07:28 PM

Just picked it up for £8 inc postage off ebay. Decent condition also. Surprised I have not seen this one before. I have a tendency to buy any books on Lee, Cushing, Price etc.

profondo rosso 13th February 2018 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whilst I am on the film books thread, I backed a book all about the Scala Cinema on Indiegogo....https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...press-london#/

Attachment 201264

..from the page.....

A million people went through the doors of London's Scala cinema between June 1978-June 1993. Were you one of them? 2018 marks the 40th anniversary of the first Scala programme and 25 years since the cinema's closure. It’s time to tell the Scala’s story, what was on the screen and what happened behind the scenes at the world's greatest independent cinema during that turbulent time. A one-off, this incomparable book features for the first time the complete set of Scala programmes, and more.

I have to say I am no aficionado when it comes to this cinema and its history but do know it showed a lot of cult films over the years. Should be interesting to see the programmes, which are all contained, to see what they showed.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th February 2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 565934)
Seriously? I couldn’t finish the novel last time I tried reading it, bored the crap out of me! And, the film is definitely one of Hammers best non Dracula/Frankenstein films, he clearly knows bugger all :lol:

Wheatley isn't a great writer i don't think he's even a good writer.

Quite stodgy and hard to maintain any interest.

Rik 13th February 2018 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 565950)
Wheatley isn't a great writer i don't think he's even a good writer.

Quite stodgy and hard to maintain any interest.

Yeah, when I was in my teens I had a few of his books that I’d paid penny’s for at a second hand book stall in Halifax market (which is still there surprisingly) and I just couldn’t get into any of them, I ended up selling them back to the stall a few weeks later.
The only book of his I still have is The Devil and All His Works none fiction book, which is actually really good :nod:

nosferatu42 13th February 2018 10:28 PM

Same as, except for the Halifax bit.

'The Devil and all his works' is the only one i still own too.:nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th February 2018 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 565960)
Same as, except for the Halifax bit.

'The Devil and all his works' is the only one i still own too.:nod:

The only one i have is obviously The Devil Rides Out. :lol:

Think i' still have The Haunting of Toby Jugg somewhere too.

Susan Foreman 27th March 2018 03:44 PM

This might be a fascinating read - Amazon UK £12.95, release date April 24th, 2018

"There is no denying that Meir Zarchi's I Spit on Your Grave (1978) deserves its title as one of the most controversial films ever made. While many condemn it as misogynistic, others praise it for raising uncomfortable issues about sexual violence. While its reputation as a cult film has undoubtedly been cemented by its unique position in the 1970s/80s exploitation era and the "video nasties" scandal, it has also become mythologized by its own official and unofficial franchises. David Maguire examines why the film still continues to provoke fierce debate forty years on, not only investigating the historical, social, and political landscape into which the film was first released-and condemned-but also examining how it is has inadvertently become ground zero for the rape-revenge genre because of its countless imitators. The book explores how academic study has reevaluated the film's importance as a cultural statement on gender, the conflicting readings that it throws up, the timeless appeal of its story as examined through folklore and mythology, and its updating to reflect contemporary issues in a post-9/11 world of vengeance and retaliation."

HOWEVER...

at only 140 pages, with the 'story' starting on page 6, and the index & notes starting on page 115, it looks like it's going to be a very thin read, with probably not a lot of new information for those who are familiar with the story, it's background and legacy

Demoncrat 15th April 2018 06:31 PM

Finished Gilliamesque. Felt it would be better suited here as tis more a series of reminiscences about his canon after he helps form Python etc. Slight but somewhat revealing in places, I do recommend this.

Dave Boy 20th August 2018 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On it's way. Can't wait for this to arrive.

Attachment 208023

Among the top-grossing Hollywood blockbusters of all time, Star Wars launched one of the most successful movie and licensing franchises in history. Yet much of the film's backstory was set in Britain, where the original trilogy was made and where early efforts at tie-in merchandising were spearheaded. The author provides a detailed account of the saga's British connection, including personal recollections of fans in the UK, exclusive interviews with staff members of Palitoy who took on the challenge of producing millions of toys, and the story of how a group of writers from the underground press in London combined with Marvel comics to produce the first Star Wars expanded universe.

Dave Boy 21st August 2018 07:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Out 15th November.

Attachment 208049

Hardcover: 304 pages
Product Dimensions: 27.9 x 26.7 cm

In celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of Planet of the Apes, the classic science-fiction film from 1968, The Making of Planet of the Apes tells the film and offers exclusive, never-before-seen photographs and concept art.
Based on Pierre Boulle's novel La Planéte de singes, the original Planet of the Apes was one of the most celebrated films of the 1960s and beyond. Starring Hollywood icons Charlton Heston and Roddy McDowall, the movie struck a chord with the world and sparked a franchise that included eight sequels, two television series, and a long-running comic book. Now, five decades after its theatrical release, New York Times bestselling author J. W. Rinzler tells the thrilling story of this legendary Hollywood production—a film even Boulle thought would be impossible to make.
With a foreword by Fraser Heston, Charlton Heston's son, The Making of Planet of the Apes is an entertaining, informative experience that will transport readers back to the strange alternate Earth ruled by apes, and bring to life memorable characters such as Cornelius, Dr. Zira, Dr. Zaius, and Taylor, the human astronaut whose time-traveling sparks an incredible adventure. Meticulously researched and designed to capture the look and atmosphere of the film, The Making of Planet of the Apes is also packed with a wealth of concept paintings, storyboards, and never-before-seen imagery—including rare journal pages and sketches from Charlton Heston's private collection—as well as color and black-and-white unit photography, posters, and more unique ephemera.
Comprehensive in scope, The Making of Planet of the Apes is the definitive look at the original blockbuster film, a must-have for fans, film buffs, and collectors alike.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st August 2018 11:45 AM

Love the sound of that. It would make a lovely Christmas gift. For me! ;)

Thanks for posting, Dave Boy.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st August 2018 11:53 AM

I also noticed this is out on Sept 4th

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

Dave Boy 21st August 2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 585713)
Love the sound of that. It would make a lovely Christmas gift. For me! ;)

Same here. I have already put the word out that I want this for Christmas. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th August 2018 03:51 PM

Does anyone know of any new factual horror movie books coming out prior to Christmas?

I know there's The Dark Side British Horror paperback which i'll most likely preorder as i did with last years Hammer book, but other than that i'm not aware of anything.

Recent years have seen books from the likes of Marcus Hearn, John Landis and Michael Mallory.

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th August 2018 03:58 PM

I see Justin Kerswell's The Teenage Slasher Movie Book, is getting a 2nd Revised and Expanded Edition in October.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

That looks decent.

Rik 31st August 2018 08:24 AM

I never picked this up, so I’ll be getting this edition :nod:

Justin101 31st August 2018 09:33 AM

I've had the first edition for a while, I've never read it :lol: It's on my pile to get through, trouble is the Stephen Thrower books are so dense it's taking me ages to get through them!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st August 2018 05:43 PM

If that's a renamed version of Teenage Wasteland, it's a terrific read and I'll be really tempted to pick up the newly revised edition.

Inspector Abberline 1st September 2018 09:07 AM

Horror: Films to Scare you to Death

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 586500)
Does anyone know of any new factual horror movie books coming out prior to Christmas?

I know there's The Dark Side British Horror paperback which i'll most likely preorder as i did with last years Hammer book, but other than that i'm not aware of anything.

Recent years have seen books from the likes of Marcus Hearn, John Landis and Michael Mallory.

Not sure if this is what your looking for,but James Marriott and Kim Newman have a new book out in October....ah it seems to be an update of there previous book..

Attachment 208461

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st September 2018 11:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 586676)
Not sure if this is what your looking for,but James Marriott and Kim Newman have a new book out in October....ah it seems to be an update of there previous book..

Attachment 208461

Thanks for posting, Inspector.

Just a warning. It's also a paperback update of this book below.

If you look at the page i've sampled it's the same one Amazon are showing as a sample for the book the Inspector posted. It also appears to be in black and white going off the Amazon pics.

If anyone's interested i highly recommend the book but see if you can still get a colour hardback version instead.

Inspector Abberline 1st September 2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 586681)
Thanks for posting, Inspector.

Just a warning. It's also a paperback update of this book below.

If you look at the page i've sampled it's the same one Amazon are showing as a sample for the book the Inspector posted. It also appears to be in black and white going off the Amazon pics.

If anyone's interested i highly recommend the book but see if you can still get a colour hardback version instead.

its all very confusing,they should have version 1,2 etc printed on the cover so we know what were buying,at first I thought it was a new book....:headache:

Inspector Abberline 15th September 2018 06:20 PM

horrrrrr

1 Attachment(s)
I had a look in my draws...(oh er)...and realised I had Horror by James Marriott and Kim Newman with this cover...

Attachment 209030

Demoncrat 15th September 2018 07:33 PM

Ach, all good in the end then ;)

Dave Boy 19th September 2018 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 209115
INSIDE BRAY STUDIOS: The Complete Story Of Hammer's House Studio.

I received a early contributor copy of this excellent new book by Wayne Kinsey. Glorious !

Hammer films took Down Place, a dilapidated mansion on the Thames outside Windsor, and turned it into the most unique film studio in England. Here we trace its history from Hammer and beyond to its closure with plans to develop the site into housing. We take you on a virtual tour of the studio, outside and inside, showing how Hammer developed it into a working studio. We’ll show how Hammer developed cramped space at the front of the studio into a back lot building set complexes which seemed huge on film. Hammer left the studio in 1966 to produce films in the larger studios but we show how they continued to use the studio for special effects on Moon Zero Two and When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth.
Then we explore the incredible amount of film, TV and music work that went on in the studio after Hammer. We show how Hammer’s old stage 2 that housed their first Frankenstein set became the home for the model effects on Alien. Gerry Anderson made it a home for work on Space 1999, Terrahawks and Dick Spanner; the team on Terrahawks share their memories of working at Bray.
We have 3 separate chapters on the 1998, 1999 and 2007 Bray open days organised by Donald Fearney and Simon Greetham with loads of photos, many sent in by fellow fans showing the assembled guests and fans enjoying three incredible days at the studio.
We end with the sad demise of the studio showing evidence of the chronic damp damage that destroyed the interior of Down Place and the redevelopment plans to save it by converting into housing. At the moment the doors have been opened again temporarily to some productions as the redevelopment plans are finalised, but the photos will show that already the interior of the house has been gutted to its bare timbers to follow the extent of the dry rot damage and part of the studio has already had to be demolished because it was beyond repair and risking the integrity of the rest of the core house. A fascinating story that still continues as this book goes to press.
A4. 344 sumptuous colour pages. Hardback. £35 plus p&p. For release early October, 2018.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th September 2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 588319)
Attachment 209115
INSIDE BRAY STUDIOS: The Complete Story Of Hammer's House Studio.

I received a early contributor copy of this excellent new book by Wayne Kinsey. Glorious !

Any chance you can take a few pics of random pages, Dave?

Dave Boy 19th September 2018 05:26 PM

Btw, this book will be limited and only available from here..
http://peverilpublishing.co.uk/inside-bray-studios/

There are some pages from inside the book on the site.
To enlarge the pics, open the thumnails in a new window.

Inspector Abberline 29th September 2018 07:26 AM

Father, Son, Sword: The Lone Wolf and Cub Saga

1 Attachment(s)
Father, Son, Sword: The Lone Wolf and Cub Saga

This arrived yesterday...

Demoncrat 29th September 2018 08:30 PM

Likes all round!

Dave Boy 21st November 2018 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Star Wars, objets du mythe : Pièces originales, archives inédites (French)

Attachment 210791

Full page archive pictures of masks, props, posters, photos and memorabilia from the Original Trilogy.

Concrete slab of a book. All in French but the pictures really don't need an explanation.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st November 2018 07:08 PM

What about this one, Dave?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-A...ords=star+wars

Out 27th Nov.