Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   The Film Books Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/215-film-books-thread.html)

Inspector Abberline 22nd July 2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 630826)
Ordered.

Thank you for posting, Inspector. :thankingyou:

The mags i buy cost more than this book so glorified magazine or not it's a bargain.

Apparently it lacks colour pictures, but these are probably the same morons who complain about watching black and white movies as well......:tongue1:

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd July 2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 630828)
Apparently it lacks colour pictures, but these are probably the same morons who complain about watching black and white movies as well......:tongue1:

God dammit!

I can't do with black and white. :rolleyes:

Looks up the page at post 993 above and grins. :lol:

Dave Boy 22nd July 2020 04:44 PM

I have that book. It's awesome!

I have the companion DVD as well. It seems to be still available on the Tomahawk Press website. :thumb:

Greasepaint and Gore The DVD – Tomahawk Press

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd July 2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 630823)
Greasepaint and Gore: The Hammer Monsters of Roy Ashton

Just ordered this,at a 168 pages it's no more than a glorified magazine,but for 5.85 inc p+p,it's no brainer,and it is Roy Ashton...

Ordered – thanks for bringing it to my attention.

:thankingyou:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd July 2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 630854)
Ordered – thanks for bringing it to my attention.

:thankingyou:

I don't have Amazon Prime so ordered it from AbeBooks for £5.90 with free postage using Quidco for some cashback.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/978095319...0953192601/plp

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd July 2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 630860)
I don't have Amazon Prime so ordered it from AbeBooks for £5.90 with free postage using Quidco for some cashback.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/978095319...0953192601/plp

I got mine from Dino Books or something similar for £5.84 delivered.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd July 2020 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just bought at The Works.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2020 03:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Arrived today. Looks great, well worth the £5.84

Not sure what that line is through Dracula and the Mummy :confused: It's not on the cover itself. Perhaps it's an Omen kind of omen like the one that showed up through Troughton's priest in the photograph?

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th August 2020 05:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Three upcoming books - definitely make nice Xmas gifts. Except the TCM one which is Halloween themed.

Turner Classic Movies presents a festival of film frights, spanning monster greats to modern and classic horror to family-friendly cinematic treats that capture the spirit of Halloween, complete with reviews, behind-the-scenes stories, and a trove of images.

Halloween Favourites spotlights 31 essential Halloween-time films, their associated sequels and remakes, and recommendations to expand your seasonal repertoire based on your favourites. Featured titles:
Nosferatu (1922)
Phantom of the Opera (1925)
Dracula (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1931)
The Mummy (1933)
Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)
The Wolf Man (1941)
Cat People (1942)
Them (1953)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
Horror of Dracula (1958)
House on Haunted Hill (1959)
The Birds (1963)
Black Sunday (1960)
Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
The Haunting (1963)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Exorcist (1972)
Young Frankenstein (1976)
Halloween (1978)
The Shining (1980)
The Thing (1982)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Beetlejuice (1988)
Hocus Pocus (1993)
Scream (1996)
Get Out (2017)

Sept 24th 2020

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...KL5A1OLE&psc=1

So often associated with cheapness and low quality, pulp fiction and filmmaking have influenced the way we live for more than a century. Many respected authors and artists worked for the pulp and paperback markets, while films made for the low budget or youth markets are now rightly regarded as classics as they continue to inspire the movies and television we watch today. Profusely illustrated with more than 800 rare and unique images from around the world--including book and magazine covers, interior illustrations, movie posters, comic books, promotional items, tie-ins, and previously unpublished artwork commissioned especially for this book--this handsome volume charts the history of escapist horror and the individuals who created it. Compiled by multiple award-winning writer and editor Stephen Jones, and with a foreword by prolific and acclaimed author Robert Silverberg, this visual history brings together insightful and revelatory commentary from some of the genre's most highly esteemed experts. The Art of Pulp Horror is a stunning and informative guide to how, for over 100 years, we have enthusiastically embraced and exploited the gratuitous and the gory into our popular culture.

October 15th 2020

n 1980, the film Flash Gordon was released, becoming an instant cult favourite. One of the most quotable and beloved sci-fi films ever, it is legendary for its unique look, tone and iconic soundtrack. This beautiful, first-of-its-kind coffee table book will delve into the making of the movie and celebrate its legacy.

Featuring brand new interviews with cast and creative, including stars Sam Jones and Brian Blessed and director Mike Hodges, this stunning book features never-been-seen-before concept artwork and behind-the-scenes photography that makes it a must-have for any classic sci-fi fan.

October 27th 2020

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/17890950...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th August 2020 05:37 PM

I can definitely say the TCM Fright Movies book should be an object of joy.

I have a couple of their books and they are gorgeous to look at.

Dave Boy 21st August 2020 01:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pre-ordered. Released on Tuesday 25th August (delayed from earlier in the year)

Attachment 227170

Dave Boy 26th August 2020 10:44 AM

On the way..

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...5f&oe=5F6C8ADC

The true story of how the iconic Stormtroopers were created, which subsequently led to a high profile multi million pound court case. With the endless controversy and conflicting stories reported in the media and on the internet, this book reveals the facts from the crew on the production in 1976.

Inspector Abberline 31st August 2020 08:08 AM

Panic in the Streets!: Sci-Fi Movie Mayhem in the 1950s: (Sci-Fi before Star Wars

1 Attachment(s)
Panic in the Streets!: Sci-Fi Movie Mayhem in the 1950s: (Sci-Fi before Star Wars.

A nice little softcover book covering mostly 16 films from 1950s ...

Attachment 227311

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th September 2020 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just arrived from Amazon. A gorgeous Sons of Anarchy coffee table book.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th September 2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 633433)
Three upcoming books - definitely make nice Xmas gifts. Except the TCM one which is Halloween themed.

Turner Classic Movies presents a festival of film frights, spanning monster greats to modern and classic horror to family-friendly cinematic treats that capture the spirit of Halloween, complete with reviews, behind-the-scenes stories, and a trove of images.

Halloween Favourites spotlights 31 essential Halloween-time films, their associated sequels and remakes, and recommendations to expand your seasonal repertoire based on your favourites. Featured titles:
Nosferatu (1922)
Phantom of the Opera (1925)
Dracula (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1931)
The Mummy (1933)
Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)
The Wolf Man (1941)
Cat People (1942)
Them (1953)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
Horror of Dracula (1958)
House on Haunted Hill (1959)
The Birds (1963)
Black Sunday (1960)
Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
The Haunting (1963)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Exorcist (1972)
Young Frankenstein (1976)
Halloween (1978)
The Shining (1980)
The Thing (1982)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Beetlejuice (1988)
Hocus Pocus (1993)
Scream (1996)
Get Out (2017)

Sept 24th 2020

Just arrived for about £3 less than the price it was ordered at. But i can't see it as it's been put away by a family member for my birthday in October.

Inspector Abberline 27th September 2020 01:13 PM

Nasty

1 Attachment(s)
Art of nasty..

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th September 2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 636271)
Art of nasty..

Good book that, Inspector. Had it for years and looked at it a lot. I can also vouch that it doesn't fall apart after twenty minutes as some soft back books can.

Looking closer, yours appears to be hard back. :cool:

Inspector Abberline 27th September 2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 636277)
Good book that, Inspector. Had it for years and looked at it a lot. I can also vouch that it doesn't fall apart after twenty minutes as some soft back books can.

Looking closer, yours appears to be hard back. :cool:

Yep it was supposed to be the softback but they sent the hard back edition,so I'm happy with that...

nosferatu42 27th September 2020 02:58 PM

I had the softback and mine did fall apart, so now i've got a nice hard one.
fnar, fnar,,,

Inspector Abberline 4th October 2020 10:22 PM

Fright Favorites: 31 Movies to Haunt Your Halloween and Beyond (Turner Classic Movies

1 Attachment(s)
Fright Favorites: 31 Movies to Haunt Your Halloween and Beyond (Turner Classic Movies).

Thanks to Dem and others for the recommendation for this one...

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th October 2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 636891)
Fright Favorites: 31 Movies to Haunt Your Halloween and Beyond (Turner Classic Movies).

Thanks to Dem and others for the recommendation for this one...

As the one i bought is being given to me for my birthday later this month i haven't yet seen it in the er' flesh.

Justin101 5th October 2020 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 636281)
I had the softback and mine did fall apart, so now i've got a nice hard one.
fnar, fnar,,,

Same :lol: The Hardback is the recently re-printed version (I say recently but that could mean any time in the last decade haha). Had the Paperback version from the time it first came out.
Funny enough I've been looking at it for the last few days, which is weird as I hadn't seen these posts until today ha

Rik 5th October 2020 08:26 AM

I never bought the Art of Nasty book, is it better than the Shock Horror one from years ago?

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th October 2020 09:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 636905)
I never bought the Art of Nasty book, is it better than the Shock Horror one from years ago?

It's just a load of images of posters from the so called video nasties.

Barely any text relating to the films themselves.. I bought it when it was first published all those years ago and loved it. Had it come out now with what's available i wouldn't bother.

There are three or four posters per page none of the images are particularly large, certainly none are full page.

It was a kind of holy text back then but now when you can pick up pristine copies of the movies from your shelf it's not as relevant but remains a curiosity.

Rik 5th October 2020 10:41 AM

Not all that different to what I already have then, I might see if I can pick up a cheap copy from somewhere :nod:

Justin101 5th October 2020 11:32 AM

It's actually the last two chapters that hold the interest, rather than the famous 'video nasties' chapters. Chapter 4 is weird and wonderful sleazy and sexy films, and chapter 5 is a load of interesting films which don't fall into the Video Nasty or Sex Films categories.

The new version has a 12 page essay from Nigel Wingrove talking about his personal experience with the videos.

But like Dem says, a lot of these you just could not buy when the book came out, but now you can buy uncut with reversible covers in HMV ha, the thrill has gone!

Inspector Abberline 11th October 2020 10:06 AM

Frightful

2 Attachment(s)
Loads of posters and pretty pics.... plus a picture for men at work down under.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th October 2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 637457)
Loads of posters and pretty pics.... plus a picture for men at work down under.

Yeah,I've bought all those books,they're superb.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th October 2020 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 636271)
Art of nasty..

Used to own that....prefer SHOCK HORROR! tbh

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th October 2020 06:53 PM

Seen what this sells for? :scared:

I have the hardback ed as well.... :eyebrows:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/19032543...oding=UTF8&me=

Dave Boy 21st October 2020 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Arrived..

Attachment 228760

In the early 1950s, the traditional American film industry was facing a crisis due to one thing: television. Two men from totally different backgrounds pooled their talents and tapped into the burgeoning ‘teenage’ market, and American International Pictures was born. Over the next 25 years, ‘AIP’ would turn out genre films of every kind, from sci-fi and horror to ‘beach party’ and Blaxploitation. Some of its titles have since become legendary - I Was a Teenage Werewolf, Horrors of the Black Museum, The Wild Angels - but the company also produced prestige pictures like Wuthering Heights and box-office bonanzas such as Love at First Bite and The Amityville Horror.
Rock ‘n’ Roll Monsters is the story of how AIP went from a cornball purveyor of drive-in double-features filled with monsters and mayhem to a major force in films whose ‘fast and furious’ business model was copied and eventually adopted by the Hollywood mainstream...

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2020 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know i mentioned this as a preorder but this is the first time i've got my paws on it.:frank:

Rik 24th October 2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 637504)
Seen what this sells for? :scared:

I have the hardback ed as well.... :eyebrows:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/19032543...oding=UTF8&me=

I’ve got the hardback edition as well, that’s a ridiculous price :lol:

Dave Boy 10th November 2020 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Arrived..

Attachment 229343

Quote:

Hammer Horror! Dragon Thrills!
With the first two volumes of our Hammer Scrapbook series sold out (Dracula and Frankenstein), we now present the third in our limited edition series concentrating on Hammer’s cult 1973 co-production with Hong Kong’s Shaw Brothers Studio, The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires.

In our popular scrapbook tradition, we bring the film to life with photos, documents and assorted ephemera. We trace its origins, pre-production, shooting, post-production and marketing and present Peter Cushing’s and director Roy Ward Baker’s annotated scripts along with Baker’s handwritten notes. Possibly the only surviving intact Hammer Cushing script, it is densely annotated throughout showing his legendary perfectionism and approach to his last appearance as vampire hunter, Prof. Van Helsing. It comes complete with his gorgeous water colour paintings of his costume suggestions.

The book also contains a Hammer Dracula retrospective, a look at kung fu in the media, a history of Shaw Brothers Studio and looks at Hammer’s other aborted Dracula projects, including Victim of his Imagination, the Dracula in India projects, Vlad and Vampirella.

Plus a look at Hammer’s other co-production with Shaw, Shatter, which was shot back-to-back with 7 Golden Vampires. 344 sumptuous colour pages in the Peveril book tradition!

Limited edition – 600 signed and numbered copies
Once again, only available from Wayne direct.

https://peverilpublishing.co.uk/the-...res-scrapbook/

As stocks run low the price of the book rises.

Inspector Abberline 14th November 2020 08:42 AM

Film noir

1 Attachment(s)
Taschen strikes again,.....

Attachment 229428

Justin101 14th November 2020 09:06 AM

I got that one for Christmas a while back, great book, classy B&W film stills!

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th November 2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 640204)
I got that one for Christmas a while back, great book, classy B&W film stills!

Me too (although not for Christmas) excellent book. It's only crime is not being the size of a table.

Justin101 14th November 2020 11:38 AM

Apologies, mine is a slightly older edition and is a full-sized coffee table book.

https://i.ibb.co/NFcnJnn/IMG-20201114-123515.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th November 2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 640210)
Apologies, mine is a slightly older edition and is a full-sized coffee table book.

https://i.ibb.co/NFcnJnn/IMG-20201114-123515.jpg

The one the Inspector and i have (new sequel to Withnail and I?) is about the size of three quarters of a house brick. It was only nine notes brand new from Amazon and i knew what i was getting.

Justin101 14th November 2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 640211)
The one the Inspector and i have (new sequel to Withnail and I?) is about the size of three quarters of a house brick. It was only nine notes brand new from Amazon and i knew what i was getting.

I've got a few of those compact ones I quite like them :) Stanley Kubrick for example the full size one was £50 and the small one £9