Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   The Film Books Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/215-film-books-thread.html)

Pete 4th August 2011 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:)

Attachment 17324

Flesh & Blood Volume 2: Cinema & Video for Adults, by Edited by Harvey Fenton at FAB Press Online

Splatterdragon73 17th August 2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 168838)
This one is a prerequisite for members here, however(owners will know exactly what I'm about to say) just have plenty of sello-tape, glue and blu-tac ready cause it will absolutely fall to pieces if you so much as blow/look at it in the wrong way. Is it me or could this do with an update/upgrade?

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...stotal/001.jpg

My own copy is looking more than a little worn and i've hardly been reading it on regular occasions. I think it's probably been years since i last checked out the above tome!

I'd go for a revised edition too so how about it, Brycie?:)

Wes 20th October 2011 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lots of great books on this thread, a lot of stuff I didn't know about, so many thanks to everyone who chimed in... I put together a list of my film books on my blog, covering all sorts of Cinema - there's some cult writings there as well. The list is too long to reprint here so check out the link below - each listing contains a link to Amazon for extra info...

A Collection of Books about Cinema

prawnee 20th October 2011 08:44 AM

What a great collection of books Wes. If only i had the space of funds :(

wayfarer 20th October 2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prawnee (Post 191441)
What a great collection of books Wes. If only i had the space of funds :(

same here!

Wes 20th October 2011 09:05 AM

Thanks guys... a lot of them were picked up second hand over the years - you can always pick up some nice stuff cheap on Amazon Market place, although someone is selling a copy of the Deep Red Horror Handbook over there for like 500 bucks - crazy ! The cost of the Bava book was a killer, I'm glad I bought it...

prawnee 20th October 2011 09:18 AM

Managed to pick up the hardback of Profondo Argento on ebay eariler this year for £30, just noticed a new copy on amazon for £250 :eek: although Alan Jones say he's revising it.

I'm after Monster in the Movies by John Landis and Drew Struzan: Oeuvre. Hopefully father christmas will be kind to me this year!

Wes 20th October 2011 09:26 AM

Profondo Argento is a fine book, probably the best book about Argento... I have the Art of Darkness as well and I would advise people to stay well clear of it unless you like stuffy scholarly achedemic writing... Being a FAB book it's a thing of beauty with gorgeous stills and artwork but I hated this book...

wayfarer 20th October 2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 191446)
Thanks guys... a lot of them were picked up second hand over the years - you can always pick up some nice stuff cheap on Amazon Market place, although someone is selling a copy of the Deep Red Horror Handbook over there for like 500 bucks - crazy ! The cost of the Bava book was a killer, I'm glad I bought it...

I've got a copy of the Deep Red Horror Handbook. It's been well thumbed and not worth selling on. It was one of my most vital resources back in the early 90s along with the Hong Kong Movie guide.

Wes 20th October 2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 191474)
I've got a copy of the Deep Red Horror Handbook. It was one of my most vital resources back in the early 90s...

Same here, a huge influence... Probably the book I owe the most to is the Time Out Film Guide which made me think about films...