Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree570Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2023, 04:48 PM
Cult Master

Dark Side issue 239 - coming soon

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Issue 239.jpg (106.7 KB, 81 views)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th February 2023, 11:47 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Alan Bryce on FaceBook:

"Orders for our Stalk and Slash book are coming in thick and fast, but we also have another book waiting in the wings, and this one will be something special. It's a book on Thailand poster artists and packed with tons of amazing images never seen before. It will have over 40 chapters on the likes of James Bond, Giallo, Mondo films, adult movies... you name it. Around 400 posters may be contained therein. I think we may have to pay a lot more for printing and go down the DeLuxe route of charging £35 a copy. That means we won't be printing the quantities of our other books. Take a look at these and let us know whether you think it is worth it. By the way, the text in the book is superb also. The authors have interviewed many of the artists and provide detailed information on the releasing of movies in Thailand. This subject has NEVER been covered in any film book before to my knowledge"
Update:

"Kev and I sat down yesterday to plot our next book, which will be a limited edition showcasing the amazing poster art of Thailand.

Written by Neil Pettigrew and Philip Jablon it's an eye-opening glimpse into a world that few of us are familiar with. Neil and Philip have travelled to Thailand many times - in fact Philip is over there right now. They have spent their time there interviewing artists and sourcing staggeringly good poster art.

We are looking at a May publication date for this one, and it will be a thing of beauty but very expensive for us to print because it will be around 300 pages and on high quality paper. It's going to have to retail at £35 like Rick's Stunningly Savage book and the print run will be small so it will be highly collectable (Yes, US readers that's how we spell it here!).

We don't do this print to order Amazon thing, so when they're gone, they're gone - like Classic Monsters and, almost, Italian Horrors!

I should warn sensitive readers that adult movie posters are also included and of course this one will never be available in shops, especially Waitrose.

There are posters of all genres, some great Bond ones too. Here's a preview..."

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thailand Poster A.jpg (101.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Thailand Poster B.jpg (102.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Thailand Poster C.jpg (101.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Thailand Poster D.jpg (98.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Thailand Poster E.jpg (99.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Thailand Poster F.jpg (99.5 KB, 64 views)

Old 10th February 2023, 06:00 PM
Cult Master

Infinity issue 58 - coming soon

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Infinity issue 58.jpg (104.2 KB, 59 views)
nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 10th February 2023, 06:02 PM
Cult Master

Dark Side issue 249 - coming soon

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Issue 240.jpg (106.5 KB, 58 views)
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Old 6th March 2023, 07:22 PM
Cult Master

"Forget the Oscars because the Rondo nominations are out today, and whilst I accept the fact that they are American-slanted and therefore Blighty-based folk like us are unlikely to have to reinforce our mantelpieces, the Rondos are nevertheless a fascinating gauge of what we may be doing right. This year I am not at all surprised to see Sam Irvin's Confessions of a Teenage Monster Hunter nominated for best book alongside Darrell and Eric's Chopped Meat, Wayne Kinsey's incredible House That Hammer Built and John Hamilton's AIP-tastic Witches, Bitches and Banshees, although come on chaps, no mention of Stalking Pictures, and all that money we paid out! Oh well, it has been our best selling book to date so I guess that will have to compensate somehow. I'm just pleased that horror genre print publishing is alive and well when people like Criswell said it had two hopes - Bob Hope and No Hope. There's a great new book on Criswell too that I predict will be a best seller. See what I did there?

Anyway, it looks like this year we are making inroads with Infinity, which has been nominated as Best Magazine for the first time, and why not? (Thanks to the late Barry Norman for that). The Dark Side is also nommed as Best Mag and it's so nice to see Hammer's Ripping Yarns by my much-missed friend, the late Denis Meikle, nominated as one of the Best Articles from THE DARK SIDE #23.

I have to say I'm touched, have been for years, some say, to get my first (and probably last) ever Rondo nom for Remembering Veronica, my tribute to the late actress Veronica Carlson in DS 229. We also have a trio of great interviews nominated: Martine Beswicke by Daniel Burnett, THE DARK SIDE #232, Kier-La Janisse (director, author), by John Martin, THE DARK SIDE #236, Elizabeth Shepard about Tomb of Ligeia, by Ernie Magnotta, THE DARK SIDE #234. Ernie has sent me a ton of great new interviews so he'll definitely make the cut again next year.

Kim Newman’s Dungeon has been nommed as Best Column, which is not a surprise because he's a genre legend, and on the Infinity front we've had nods for The Black Scorpion: He'll Get You Scared Stiff by Gregory Kulon, INFINITY #48 and Pal's Puppet Ancestors, by Mike Hankin, INFINITY #49. Oh, and Rick Melton is up for a Rondo again for his cover for Dark Side 237, Alice Cooper meets The Bride of Frankenstein. "I've got more chance of being struck by lightning" said Rick when I told him over the phone today. Then there was a loud bang and the line went dead.

To my mind the best thing about the Rondos is they encourage you to seek out stuff that you might otherwise have missed, so win or lose they will be much missed when the tireless David Colton finally decides to chuck it in and let us all fend for ourselves! Here's the link to vote
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mons...o--t88317.html "

Old 9th March 2023, 08:49 PM
Cult Master

There's a new 'Dark Side' book on the horizon...

"...today I have been mainly writing my extensive introduction for this year's Dark Side book on Comedy Horror, so be warned that we will be covering The Ghost Train and Will Hay classics like The Ghost of St. Michael's, Oh Mr. Porter! and Ask a Policeman as well as the comedy horror classics of Bob Hope, Abbott and Costello and Sir Francis Howerd alongside favourites like An American Werewolf in London and Sam Raimi and Peter Jackson's splatstick gore favourites. It won't be out until November and there may be two other Dark Side volumes up for order before then, including 1968, my personal memoirs of that amazing year in fear, and a wonderful Thailand poster book. None of these will be nominated for a Rondo but I can assure you they will all sell out faster than you think, as indeed have Invasion, Classic Monsters and Italian Horrors. All gone now. If you grabbed a copy of any of them, check out their value on Ebay and pat yourself on the back. I love the idea that our readership is small, and select, and we don't sell books in stores. They are all worth the money though, and I think anyone who has bought them can vouch for that."
nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 17th March 2023, 09:30 AM
Cult Master

Infinity issue 59 - coming soon

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Infinity issue 59.jpg (104.2 KB, 34 views)

Old 17th March 2023, 09:32 AM
Cult Master

Dark Side issue 241 - coming soon

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Issue 241.jpg (102.2 KB, 35 views)

Old 14th April 2023, 12:21 PM
Cult Master

Infinity issue 60 - coming soon

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Infinity issue 60.jpg (105.0 KB, 26 views)

Old 14th April 2023, 12:22 PM
Cult Master

Dark Side issue 242 - coming soon

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Issue 242.jpg (103.8 KB, 27 views)
MrBarlow likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!