Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > The Bronx Warriors Trilogy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2010, 07:06 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR79 View Post
Seeing as folk are still seeing these for sale in their local HMVs can I just say again I'm still looking for one **hint, hint**
As promised I did go to my local store but unfortunately this time around there was nothing there. I'll keep looking though

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 31st March 2010, 01:03 PM
Cultist

Cheers mate
Old 31st March 2010, 09:29 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Give HMV Argyle Street a phone mate.The had one the last time I was in.So did Falkirk I'm sure.

0843 221 0194 Falkirk
0843 221 0201 Glasgow.
They'll stick it behind the counter if you're going to collect it the same day.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:51 AM
Active Cultist

I have now watched all 3 films

Based purely on first impressions, Escape From The Bronx is my favourite, followed by The New Barbarians, then The Bronx Warriors. Though I found Barbarians more enjoyable than Escape because it had much more action, but Escape had a better plot.

As I stated in an earlier post, if Warriors had a little more plot exposition and the same amount of action as the other two, it would easily have been the best of the three films, but unfortunately I found it slightly lacking when compared with the other two - let's face it, they are action b-movies, we need to see lots of action!

Despite the ludicrous costumes and props of Barbarians, I found it the most believable of the three films, purely because, being set further in the future, it is slightly more plausible than the other two; though they are still interesting interpretations of what the 90s could have been like. One thing I liked about Barbarians was the fact that they used lasers instead of bullets. I found myself believing that a laser gun could blow up a car, whereas in the first two films my brain kept going "No" every time Trash blew up a vehicle with a machine gun

Going on from that, I found the special effects of all the films to be very enjoyable and imaginative. I especially enjoyed the helmet smashing effects of the first two films, and Nadir's exploding arrows in the third!

Whilst Giancarlo Prete and Fred Williamson played great roles in Barbarians, it was a bit confusing at first given the fact that they were not playing the same characters as they did in Warriors and Escape. I think it would have been better had they played the same characters, thus creating a greater link between the first two films and the third (same goes for George Eastman's roles as Golan and One).
However, in saying that, IMDb lists the following information:
Escape From The Bronx:
Giancarlo Prete ... Strike (as Timothy Brent)

The New Barbarians:
Giancarlo Prete ... Scorpion (as Timothy Brent)

Have I missed something? Who is Timothy Brent?

In terms of the Shameless package I must say I love the artwork and tin presentation; definitely a great way to re-exploit these movies! It is a shame that the individual films do not carry BBFC graphics, thus implying they will not be sold separately. I think there is a potential market for selling the films individually. Though in saying that, I am glad I got the whole Trilogy (if you can call it that), because had I only seen Warriors, I probably would not have been too inspired to see it’s sequels. So perhaps sticking them all in a bloody great tin was a good idea after all!

Some of the authoring on the DVDs is a bit strange. You start with the copyright notice, then the Shameless logo, then Castellari's message, then a website advert, and then the menu finally loads! However, if you try skipping through these, the DVD gets confused and starts loading extra features instead, such as the trailers or alternate credits.
A bit picky I'll admit, perhaps it's my DVD player going funny.

Picture wise I think Shameless have done a grand job getting these films looking as fresh as possible. Based on first impressions I think Warriors looked the best out of the three. Escape is a bit sketchy in places, though I can forgive this. I liked the little piece of information at the beginning of the film asking for the viewer's understanding that the picture might be a bit dodgy in places! Nice touch

The only problem I did have with all three of the films was the varying sound quality. Dialogue volume seemed to go up and down throughout, sometimes being very quiet and other times being really loud! The special effects and soundtrack sounded really good, though unfortunately, due to the quiet dialogue, I found myself turning the volume up for the dialogue, and then turning it back down again when the now super-loud sound effects kicked in! Suspiria-syndrome strikes again! I think a little remastering of the audio track would have improved the viewing experience for me, though I do not know what sources Shameless had to work with. Perhaps they tried and were unable to get it sounding any better?

Overall, I am very pleased to have found these movies, and wholeheartedly agree with Shameless' apparent mission of bringing lost movies to the masses. The Bronx Warriors trilogy is definitely worth watching and is a lot of fun. It has its flaws, but it also has its triumphs. I look forward to watching them again!

Last edited by robertzombie; 2nd April 2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:49 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I noticed Bronx Warriors has low audio but turning the volume up helped...
Haven't watched the other 2 yet.
Old 2nd April 2010, 01:03 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertzombie View Post
Have I missed something? Who is Timothy Brent?
That's just the Giancarlo Prete 'false' English name.
IMDB mean that Prete was playing those characters billed as Timothy Brent, just so it sounds like American actors make up most of the cast to better market the film outside Italy.
Old 2nd April 2010, 01:23 PM
Active Cultist

Interesting!
Old 2nd April 2010, 02:49 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've come to expect variable sound quality/volume as par for the course with moderately budgeted or little-known European films. I think the effort that went into restoring the AV quality for this box set should be applauded as without massive expenditure and access to the original negatives you will never get a pristine DVD copy.
Old 5th April 2010, 05:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

HMV ARGYLE STREET HAVE 2 BRONX TINS Both priced at £19.99

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th April 2010, 06:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Is there any kind soul who could pick one of these up for me and I can pay via paypal? I am in the far north of Aberdeen and my local store don't have.

Thanks

Gaahl07

Like this? Share it using the links below!